Gun shy fighters who later became more agressive?

EricaLovesUFC

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Matt Hughes comes to mind.

The younger Hughes would not have stood with Kos or with BJ in their 3rd bout

Machida is another one who comes to mind

He was mostly a counter striker early on in his career but later starting going after his opponents more

Making a lot of threads tonight Hunni, u need a friend?? @UL is single

Who knows how the JBG works. Pastor Dong as is aforementioned. Gray Maynard abandoned his wrestling. Fabricio Werdum.

Agressive fighters who now barely throw anything.

Pettis
Hendricks
Lawler in the first 3 rounds

Dan henderson kinda fits the criteria I guess. Went from a decision machine to a ko god

Matt Hughes comes to mind.

The younger Hughes would not have stood with Kos or with BJ in their 3rd bout

Machida is another one who comes to mind

He was mostly a counter striker early on in his career but later starting going after his opponents more
Hughes stood with Kos and BJ because he couldn't take them down. Simple as that. It happens to a lot of wrestlers as they age. Their physical attributes decline to the point where they can no longer take people down at will, thereby transitioning to more of a striking game.

To answer your question, I'll throw Chad Mendes in there. When he first started out, he was known as a boring LnP fighter. Now he's someone who just wants to bang. But that's a function of his vastly improved striking, which was nonexistent when he started out.

RDA also comes to mind.

Dong and Hendo are great answers.

Left hook Larry?

Many more opposite examples.

Chris lytle waant exactly gunshy before the first serra fight but o boy did he turn it up after that

I figured this thread was gonna mention Ellenberger. I'm still in shock after he TKO'd Brown. The fight made no sense to me on paper... I just....

Fuck this sport and fuck the year of the upset.

CB Dollaway has been throwing down lately. Ever since that bore of a fight with Mayhem.

Jorge Masvidal looked more aggressive against Pearson, and he was phenomenal, one of the best strikers in the sport.

Machida wasn't really gun shy, just more of a counter fighter.

Tyron Woodley comes to mind.

Old fighters who realized they have nothing to fall back on & just said "fcuk it."

Dong and Hendo are great answers.

Left hook Larry?

Many more opposite examples.

Eh, Bisping was always a volume guy. Plenty of TKOs where he wore the guy down over the course of two rounds or so.

Back