Gun Question

I would say you definitely want to start with a 9mm because the ammo is cheap and they are easy to shoot. You want to start very cheap when you are learning to shot.

Hey, just wanted some advice. I'm Canadian and i just got licenced for both retricted and non restricted firearms. (longgun, handgun) I wondering what would be a good starter handgun, i was thinking on either one designed for a .38 special or a .22. I don't want to start with a .45 though. What company makes a quality, yet affordable starter handgun. Any advice is appreciated.

The US's official tard proof starter handgun is the Smith & Wesson Sigma 9mm. The tough trigger pull makes it more difficult to have an accidental misfire. Another good polymer pistol to start with is the Springfield XD-9.

For a good steel frame to start with, if you want a smaller firearm thats cheap, get a Bersa Thunder 380. If you want full sized steel frame, get a CZ-75. That gun will last a lifetime.

Purpose: Fun at handgun club, i work security and probably will be armored car guard soon, want to be familiar with handgun use.

Price range: < $500

Preference: Don't need a monster, something similar to what i'd use as an armored car guard ie...something that rounds a 38 special slide action or similar. Or a cheap but reliable .22 caliber handgun. 10 round max

As an armed guard, theyll make you use some sort of standard revolver. Probably a .38 Special from Smith & Wesson or Ruger.

If youre looking for a good revolver thatll last you, get a Smith.

As a Canadian who is familiar with our laws, to another Canadian, get yourself a full sized polymer "wonder 9" like a Glock 17 because 9mm is the cheapest centrefire round to shoot and it will most resemble a standard issue duty pistol. Remember, anything that's built with a barrel shorter than 105 or 106mm needs to have a longer, legal, aftermarket barrel installed before it even enters the country, so if you're dead set on buying anything in the "sub compact" or smaller range, expect to pay through the nose for it; that $600 "baby Glock" with a > 106mm aftermarket barrel will cost you damned near $1K by the time it arrives at your doorstep.

I would not recommend a .22, the recoil is completely different than a larger caliber and that makes a ton of difference after each shot fired.

When you shoot the muzzle will kick depending on the caliber and you need to be able to practice getting the muzzle back on point after each shot.

FYI sherdog has a weapon forum

I disagree, while the recoil is an issue, a .22 lr pistol can still be a great training tool for live fire drills, becoming familiar with the weapon's battery of arms, reloading drills, acquiring a proper sight picture, finding your natural point of aim, breathing, trigger control, etc.

If you can find one, I'd advise getting a .22 lr conversion kit for whatever pistol you choose because .22 lr is so cheap to shoot and nothing replaces actual trigger time. Another way to save money on ammunition with be to reload yourself, but initial costs for hardware can be almost prohibitively expensive.

Any handgun with a barrel length of equal to or less than 4.13 inches (105 mm) is classified as prohibited in Canada, so keep that in mind. Also, all .25 and .32 caliber weapons are prohibited by caliber.

Hands down, Glock 26 (Baby Glock).

1- The barrel length of the Glock 26 makes it prohibited.

2- People who keep suggesting weapons that would be ideal for concealed carry in America should realized that concealed carry is not an option for Canadians unless they happen to be elites, judges, or other types of elite politicians. There is no reason not to get a full-sized sidearm/combat type pistol in Canada, aside from the fact that such pistols are often the most easily procured. One day they might make it so ridiculous that all you can have is an artillery Luger or a Colt buntline special.

If you already know how to shoot you might as well go straight into a larger caliber and get used to it. A Glock 23C is what i have for a carry. The 'C' is for 'Compensated' because the barrel is ported to reduce muzzle flip.........which it does ever so slightly. The 23C is a 40 cal. btw.

If you were just getting a handgun to learn to shoot from scratch, i'd recommend a Ruger, or Browning 22.

If you want to learn how to shoot, you get the .22lr first. Any shooter worth his salt will tell you that. Nothing replaces the .22lr as a training tool.

For a .22lr. I would recommend the Ruger MKIII, MKII and the Browning Buckmark.

.38 special wise, I would say S&W 66 or something in their J Frame class. Brand new they're pricey, but an alternative is Taurus. They imitate S&W type revolvers and their guns are much cheaper, but a little less dependable. Ruger SP101s is also a good way to go if you can find one.

If you want to learn how to shoot, you get the .22lr first. Any shooter worth his salt will tell you that. Nothing replaces the .22lr as a training tool.

For a .22lr. I would recommend the Ruger MKIII, MKII and the Browning Buckmark.

.38 special wise, I would say S&W 66 or something in their J Frame class. Brand new they're pricey, but an alternative is Taurus. They imitate S&W type revolvers and their guns are much cheaper, but a little less dependable. Ruger SP101s is also a good way to go if you can find one.

As for a wheel gun. Small, self defense: ruger sp101. No question.

1- The barrel length of the Glock 26 makes it prohibited.

2- People who keep suggesting weapons that would be ideal for concealed carry in America should realized that concealed carry is not an option for Canadians unless they happen to be elites, judges, or other types of elite politicians. There is no reason not to get a full-sized sidearm/combat type pistol in Canada, aside from the fact that such pistols are often the most easily procured. One day they might make it so ridiculous that all you can have is an artillery Luger or a Colt buntline special.

It seems like we're the only ones who actually bothered to read the TS' post, instead of just declaring what our favourite gun was.

R.I.P. Bill C-391.

Any handgun with a barrel length of equal to or less than 4.13 inches (105 mm) is classified as prohibited in Canada, so keep that in mind. Also, all .25 and .32 caliber weapons are prohibited by caliber.

4.13 inches is an odd length. It will rule out most 4'' revolvers. You'll have to go up to 5'' or 6'' with most manufacturers. Try Ruger GP100, they have an odd 4.2'' barrel length option.

4.13 inches is an odd length. It will rule out most 4'' revolvers. You'll have to go up to 5'' or 6'' with most manufacturers. Try Ruger GP100, they have an odd 4.2'' barrel length option.

Shoot, that rules out all of my suggestions just about. Excpet the CZ-75 of course. TS should get that for a pistol, and your suggestion for a revolver.

It seems like we're the only ones who actually bothered to read the TS' post, instead of just declaring what our favourite gun was.

R.I.P. Bill C-391.

I could list a half-dozen handguns that are amongst my favorites but most of them wouldn't do the OP a lick of good because most of them would be on the prohibited list or they'd be pretty darn expensive in Canada.

The M9 Beretta is 125mm long, meaning it passes the length test, I own one, and I carried one for a few years, I've never had any problems with mine. I've never once had my M9 jam or even seen an M9 jam.

If he needs a sidearm for armored car duty, he can't go wrong with an M9 Beretta. I believe the M9 is a bit easier to shoot than any Glock or polymer frame pistol since the M9 has a lot of steel/weight with it and it balances the gun and helps hold the barrel down and keep you on target. The polymer frame pistols tend to cause some issues with staying on target (at least for me I've had that issue) when dealing with quick follow-up shots.

M9 pistol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thank you all for the great suggestions......i'm leaning toward a ruger i've seen in gun world. I'll have to see what the prices are like before i decide. Keep em coming

As a Canadian who is familiar with our laws, to another Canadian, get yourself a full sized polymer "wonder 9" like a Glock 17 because 9mm is the cheapest centrefire round to shoot and it will most resemble a standard issue duty pistol. Remember, anything that's built with a barrel shorter than 105 or 106mm needs to have a longer, legal, aftermarket barrel installed before it even enters the country, so if you're dead set on buying anything in the "sub compact" or smaller range, expect to pay through the nose for it; that $600 "baby Glock" with a > 106mm aftermarket barrel will cost you damned near $1K by the time it arrives at your doorstep.

I disagree, while the recoil is an issue, a .22 lr pistol can still be a great training tool for live fire drills, becoming familiar with the weapon's battery of arms, reloading drills, acquiring a proper sight picture, finding your natural point of aim, breathing, trigger control, etc.

If you can find one, I'd advise getting a .22 lr conversion kit for whatever pistol you choose because .22 lr is so cheap to shoot and nothing replaces actual trigger time. Another way to save money on ammunition with be to reload yourself, but initial costs for hardware can be almost prohibitively expensive.

What do glock's usually run in Canada for the one you mentioned?

and TS, you'll probably encounter machomen who will tell you 9mm is a slingshot for girls and 45 ACP is a warhead for alpha males. Just roll your eyes at them.

:icon_lol:

This is so true, sounds like my dad.

Seriously, a Glock 19; compact, 15 rounds, around 20 ounces, reliable, is a fantastic gun that isn't so harsh the wallet.

:icon_lol:

This is so true, sounds like my dad.

Seriously, a Glock 19; compact, 15 rounds, around 20 ounces, reliable, is a fantastic gun that isn't so harsh the wallet.

Canadian translation: a Glock 19; compact, but with a 107mm aftermarket barrel protruding from the slide, 10 rounds, around 20 ounces (maybe without the magazine), reliable, is a fantastic gun that will cost as much as a 1911 by the time it's made legal and shipped to the TS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back