Gun Question

Discussion in 'Weapons and Tactics' started by infinitywarrior, Sep 22, 2010.

1. infinitywarrior

infinitywarrior Green Belt

Hey, just wanted some advice. I'm Canadian and i just got licenced for both retricted and non restricted firearms. (longgun, handgun) I wondering what would be a good starter handgun, i was thinking on either one designed for a .38 special or a .22. I don't want to start with a .45 though. What company makes a quality, yet affordable starter handgun. Any advice is appreciated.

2. gnpcantholdme

gnpcantholdme Orange Belt

What kinda hoops you got to jump through to get a licence up there? just curious.....

Btw I would go with 44 magnum..... :icon_twis try out 9mm or .40

3. WorldofWarcraft

WorldofWarcraft Holy Paladin Banned

4. infinitywarrior

it's a pain in the ass, you have to take a course for both longgun and handguns which run anywhere from $60-over $100 a pop, then you do a written and practical test. Then you have to fill out a long form and include a passport type picture and references. After that it takes them a 1-2 months to send you a picture licence called PAL(possesion and aquisition licence). Then you can finally buy guns and ammo, but it has to be registered. You can also not have fully automatic weapons or the really small handguns......kinda sucks

5. gsxrsix

gsxrsix Orange Belt

If you like wheelguns go with a S&W 38 &/or 357 lots of choices and they are good reliable carry handguns.

Also don't be worried about starting with a .45, my first and favorite handgun was a Springfield 1911 and it's accurate & easy to shoot. Got a milspec well under $500, not sure how much they are going for now.

A 9mm is cheaper to shoot and tons of good choices. I would recommend getting something with a manual safety just starting out.

6. Soda Viking

Soda Viking Purple Belt

Caliber-wise, I'd go with either a .22lr or a 9mm. Cheaper to shoot and less recoil. I'd lean toward the .22lr personally.

In the .22, the Ruger Mark II is probably your best buy. Heard mixed things about the Walther P22 and Sig Mosquito, but if you're looking for a more typical "handgun" experience (shorter barrel, chunkier frame, DA/SA) those are two to consider. The Browning Buckmark is a great gun but may be out of your price range.

7. Epimetheus

Epimetheus Green Belt

For self defense I would go with the 9mm glock double action only semi automatic.

Gander Mountain

8. Stoic1

Stoic1 Patriot Yellow Card

What is your purpose for purchase?

What is your price range?

What is your personal preference at this time?

9. texas1willy2

texas1willy2 Silver Belt

Do you have a restriction on the number of rounds it can hold?

10. sabretruth

sabretruth Gold Belt

Glock 26. Really fucking nice feel, 10 round mag capacity in a gun small enough for CCW, easy to clean, very few malfunctions, accurate enough.

11. sabretruth

sabretruth Gold Belt

and TS, you'll probably encounter machomen who will tell you 9mm is a slingshot for girls and 45 ACP is a warhead for alpha males. Just roll your eyes at them.

12. Soul Harvester

Soul Harvester Banned Banned

Really depends what you intend to use it for. I have multiple handguns but the one I depend on the most is my S&W 1911 .45 To me it's a perfect all around gun. As far as home defense I believe it's still rated as having the most man stopping power on the market, large caliber bullet flying at a low velocity, bullet rarely passes all the way through and will flat knock you on your ass. I live in Alaska and bow hunt alot, both moose and bear and never leave home without it. Alot of guys up here carry these big ass hand cannons 454 or 460 or .50 and you pretty much have time to get one shot off with the recoil from the damn thing so you better hope your aim is good on the first shot or you're brown bear poop. Mine has a full size frame and is very well balanced, my wife is fairly small and can shoot the thing all day, the grip is kind of big for her but as far as recoil she handles it with ease. A little spendier to shoot than a 9mm but a far superior defense gun in my opinion.

13. infinitywarrior

Purpose: Fun at handgun club, i work security and probably will be armored car guard soon, want to be familiar with handgun use.

Price range: < $500

Preference: Don't need a monster, something similar to what i'd use as an armored car guard ie...something that rounds a 38 special slide action or similar. Or a cheap but reliable .22 caliber handgun. 10 round max

14. texas1willy2

texas1willy2 Silver Belt

I would not recommend a .22, the recoil is completely different than a larger caliber and that makes a ton of difference after each shot fired.

When you shoot the muzzle will kick depending on the caliber and you need to be able to practice getting the muzzle back on point after each shot.

FYI sherdog has a weapon forum

15. James Keith

James Keith Silver Belt

there's a separate weapons and tactics forum (under standup technique) where people talk about guns.

you should also consider the price of ammo if you want to do much shooting. Perhaps get a .22 (or other rimfire) in addition to something bigger.

revolvers are more reliable than semi-auto. you can just glance at it and know right off if it will work when you pull the trigger. but of course only 6 shots.

16. texas1willy2

texas1willy2 Silver Belt

I find short barreled revolvers harder to shoot (hit what I'm aiming at) because the trigger pull is so long and set at way more poundage.

17. Fury

Fury in the flicker Staff Member Senior Moderator

18. texas1willy2

texas1willy2 Silver Belt

Do you have to buy from Canada and how much more does everything cost there?

19. Soda Viking

Soda Viking Purple Belt

When you say a 10-round max. capacity, is that a restriction on magazine size or on the gun itself based on magazines it accepts?

A Glock 23, for example, is fitted for a 10-round magazine, but can accept a 15-rounder from a G22. I don't know if that would be legal in your situation.

20. VinnyIsMe

VinnyIsMe My Title

I'd go straight for the G19 instead.