Guitarists: who is the worst?

Love guitar threads on sherdog.

Surprised no one said Mustaine. Figured some hipster would have tried to throw him under the bus.

Love guitar threads on sherdog.

Surprised no one said Mustaine. Figured some hipster would have tried to throw him under the bus.

He's probably one of the biggest douchebags I've ever seen but there's no denying the man can play.

Noel Gallagher is the worst.. just layer on layer on sludgey toned open chords, with half the progressions ripped off from glam bands.

So, are you talking famous but technically deficient? Most early punk guitarists would fall into this category, but who cares? I think a better question is who records shitty solos regardless of how skilled they are technically. As such, I'm going to say Eddie Van Halen. Amazing technical chops, bascially no musicality whatsoever. His solos often sound like they're in a different key than the rest of the band, and he has no sense of rhythm or melody. He basically just fretboard-craps every chance he gets. I find him hard to listen to, which is too bad because I really like most of Van Halen's songs until it gets to the solo.

Are you freekin out of your mind? EVH had no musicality? Trust me, that dude thinks about how every single note he plays harmonizes and feels.

Gotta be Rick Rozz, guy was nowhere close to Chuck Schuldiner's level, or any of the other guitarists of Death.

Some people are saying Cobain, but to me it depends on what the point of the guitar is for the band. In other words, in some bands the technical wizardry of the guitarist is the driving force of the band, and the vocals, lyrics, etc. are secondary. Cobain's guitar playing was never meant to be virtuosic. He used power and melody to go along with his singing, that's pretty much it. Was he amazing? No. But being amazing wasn't required for his band to have a good sound.

To me the worst guitarists are those who essentially play masturbatory music. "Hey, look how fast I can play this minor pentatonic over these three chords!!" That shit gets annoying really fast.

As bad as these guitarists supposedly are, at least they made it out of their bedrooms and had people enjoy their music.

This thread has gone on for a while, but I have the definitive answer.

It's not whether the the guy is too technical and nor melodic, or non-technical and only plays simple riffs that beginners can play. It's not whether they can or can't write memorable songs. It's not if they stick to the pentatonic the whole time.

A bad guitar player is someone who can't play the music they wrote properly.

All the kid does is try to copy SRV playing first position pentatonic box scale all day. Granted, he is technically better than any of the others I listed. But, if you're going to play a simple genre like the blues, the one thing you have to have is sincerity. And Mayer's douchey phoniness just comes through in every note. He is a big fake, which makes him painful to listen to.
That doesn't make him that shitty though. I agree I think he's probably never experienced the blues. I don't think he's ever slept in his car or struggled to make the rent. He's still a gifted musician.

Matt Heafy, that dude from Testament, Scott Ian

Scott Ian riffs way too hard to take your post seriously

Also you have a horrible opinion on guitars if you think Alex Skolnick is anywhere near the worst anything. He has great jazz chops on top of thrashing.

Back