Guitarists: who is the worst?

Delonge?
What's bad about him? Granted, hes not exceptionally good, I'm just curious what's inherently bad about him

I've seen blink live. He can't play his own elementary bullshit at shows. He also struggles singing and playing. One of the most over priced shitty shows I've seen. Luckily Weezer opened for them and they were fucking awesome

And I'll say it again. His solos have no connection to the songs melodically, rhythmically, or in some cases even harmonically. He sounds like a computer that randomly generates guitar notes. His rhythm play is all right, I like a few of his intros, but he just loses all musical connection to what's going on when he starts soloing.

I like Yngwie and Satriani (Vai I can take or leave), but their stuff is much more musical than anything EVH ever played. I don't have a problem with virtuosity, but you can't let your technical excellence get in the way of actually making good music. Guys like David Gilmore and Brian May are examples of the right way to fit a great solo into the context of the song IMO.

I saw Pink Floyd in the mid 90's and Gilmoure's Comfortably Numb solo was god damned inspiring.

CC Deville from Poison. The absolute worst guitarists almost invariably share one thing: A love of extended pentatonic wankery, with no musical value or innovation, but they are just wasting everybody's time with it.

Wonder how the Warrant guys felt it when it came about for CC to do the Cherry Pie solo.

Not to say he didn't have any great solos. Divine Intervention, Tormentor, The AntiChrist, War Ensemble, etc.

He was definitely more well-known for his hard-hitting metal riffs.

Supposedly some of the best Slayer riffs Jeff wrote not Kerry.

Didn't Satriani tutor Hammett on guitar?

Yep, for a while too and during the Black album recording.

And I'll say it again. His solos have no connection to the songs melodically, rhythmically, or in some cases even harmonically. He sounds like a computer that randomly generates guitar notes. His rhythm play is all right, I like a few of his intros, but he just loses all musical connection to what's going on when he starts soloing.

I like Yngwie and Satriani (Vai I can take or leave), but their stuff is much more musical than anything EVH ever played. I don't have a problem with virtuosity, but you can't let your technical excellence get in the way of actually making good music. Guys like David Gilmore and Brian May are examples of the right way to fit a great solo into the context of the song IMO.

Pretty much how I've felt about listening to EVH. Wouldn't call him the worst though.

I see a few mentions of some of the old punk greats. But for me guys Like Johnny Ramone still had their own style and sound and could play within the context of the song.

Trying to think of the name of late 80's hair band where the guitar player totally ripped off Slash's look with top hat and glasses. I just remember thinking fuck that guy. Whoever he is gets my vote.

I grew up playing many instruments and I was classically trained at woodwinds. I've played guitar for over 10 years. Give me a pointy scalloped neck piece of shit and I'll go note for note with anyone. I quit when I realized I was just regurgitating things much more talented men had written.

You could give Steve Vai 50 years and he couldn't write Dark Side Of The Moon. You'd rather listen to his wanks over DSOTM?

Post yourself going note for note w/ John McGlaughlin, Joe Pass, Danny Gatton, Paco Pena, or Adrian Legg and we will begin to take you seriously.

Esteban the Lord of Spanish Guitar isn't even Spanish; he is a white guy from Pittsburgh whose real name is Stephen Paul.

esteban-mothers-day.jpg

i've seen more than a few posts shitting on john mayer in these recent guitar threads. those posters have obviously never heard his trio live release "try". im not really a big fan of his, but his performance on that album is legit.

h11035ly719.jpg

Hate to say it, but Kurt Cobain.

I love Nirvana but he is definitely not one of the top 100 guitarists of all time (as per Rolling Stone). Even novice guitar players shouldn't have much trouble playing his stuff.

To aren't the only one that feels this way

i've seen more than a few posts shitting on john mayer in these recent guitar threads. those posters have obviously never heard his trio live release "try". im not really a big fan of his, but his performance on that album is legit.

I took my wife to see him back in 2003, and he was incredible. He just flat-out stopped playing the popular stuff midway through and broke into half an hour of blues, preceded by a killer version of Classical Gas. He is phenomenally talented.

Most of the so-called "guitar gods" (give me a break) that emerged in the '80s are technically brilliant but can't write a good song to save heir lives.

To me, technical ability is only part of the equation. All of the wankery of a Steve Vai or Malmsteem can't match what guys with soul vSn do a in a few notes.

Most of the so-called "guitar gods" (give me a break) that emerged in the '80s are technically brilliant but can't write a good song to save heir lives.

To me, technical ability is only part of the equation. All of the wankery of a Steve Vai or Malmsteem can't match what guys with soul vSn do a in a few notes.

This. I don't listen to guitar based music to be impressed by technical ability. I want to be moved emotionally in some way. Sometimes solos that are extremely technically proficient can be emotional and possess feeling. I think those cases are more the exception than the rule though.

It is pretty wild to think about shredders from a classical background that can't write songs/melodies to save their life. Even when they do Bach - esque baroque runs, it's all based on harmonic minor and gets redundant fast. I can only hear so many sweeps before I become bored. It's obviously an awesome technique, but I don't really hear a lot of players use it in a way that's interesting

looking back at some of the guitar tabs I posted on Ultimate guitar, it was quite clear I had no idea what notes sounded like...some of them are just garbage, others are pretty solid though and impressive that I tabbed at all

Tom Delonge's guitar work isn't exactly impressive, but I guess that's what you get from power-pop-punk,

riff*
verse
riff*
verse
chorus
verse
chorus
break
chorus

* - if at all

Hell he even rips off his own music in Angels & Airwaves, I think theres a song where he literally uses the same progression/notes/beat from Anthem Part 2.

Kurt Cobain was a pretty crappy guitarist considering the bands success.

It is pretty wild to think about shredders from a classical background that can't write songs/melodies to save their life. Even when they do Bach - esque baroque runs, it's all based on harmonic minor and gets redundant fast. I can only hear so many sweeps before I become bored. It's obviously an awesome technique, but I don't really hear a lot of players use it in a way that's interesting

What non cliched genre of music do you prefer?

Back