Guitarists: who is the worst?

Hate to say it, but Kurt Cobain.

I love Nirvana but he is definitely not one of the top 100 guitarists of all time (as per Rolling Stone). Even novice guitar players shouldn't have much trouble playing his stuff.

Teen Spirit was the first song I ever leaned all the way through and it was within a week of picking up a guitar for the first time. I was shocked because I sucked so bad and could still play such an "iconic" song.

CC Deville from Poison. The absolute worst guitarists almost invariably share one thing: A love of extended pentatonic wankery, with no musical value or innovation, but they are just wasting everybody's time with it.

I would not fault guys like Cobain for lack of proficiency, I have nothing against guys banging out three chords, that's not a problem, that's basic music. The problem is intrusive guitar that is musically idiotic. And above all, extended pentatonic solos, the height of musical idiocy.

for over hyping bands? i havent read them in a long time. people used to say their word was bond about 10 years ago.

Nah, for shitting on bands and artists. Most recent off the top of my head was Andrew WK. They gave "I Get Wet", which got RAVE reviews when it came out, like a .5/10 or something, then they apologized and gave it a 9/10 or something last year

guitarists kind of exist in more than one spectrum. as songwriters and musicians. I'd say jeff beck is a great musician while Keith richards wrote some classic riffs. both are great guitarists.

+1

Seen as genius by hoi polloi, but meh.

I think The Edge does a pretty damn good job at constructing very good sounding guitar pieces; the guy really knows how to work the effects board. But that's much less technical ability and more production ability. I guess that's the musician side of things and not as much the guitarist side of things.

And, well, there's the pretentious name.

CC Deville from Poison. The absolute worst guitarists almost invariably share one thing: A love of extended pentatonic wankery, with no musical value or innovation, but they are just wasting everybody's time with it.

I would not fault guys like Cobain for lack of proficiency, I have nothing against guys banging out three chords, that's not a problem, that's basic music. The problem is intrusive guitar that is musically idiotic. And above all, extended pentatonic solos, the height of musical idiocy.

"jerking off on stage" as Alex Kapranos called it.

"jerking off on stage" as Alex Kapranos called it.

Lol, I feel that way every time I see John Mayer on stage. Whenever he closes his eyes and solos for like 5 mins it makes me think he's just imagining himself cumming all over the audience.

You must hate Angus Young.

Inb4 someone goes full retard and says Yngwie Malmsteen or MAB.

Someone already said Eddie Van Halen. What da hell?

Nah, for shitting on bands and artists. Most recent off the top of my head was Andrew WK. They gave "I Get Wet", which got RAVE reviews when it came out, like a .5/10 or something, then they apologized and gave it a 9/10 or something last year

ah yeah i remember how they shit on the strokes for being rich then promoted vampire weekend who consciously cultivated an "upper crust" image. They find the most arbitrary reasons to hate a band except listening to the actual music. flip floppers aswell :icon_chee oh well I'm glad I'm not 17 anymore or that would really piss me off. haha

I feel this thread can be aimed directly at a lot of modern metal guitarists.

Love the genre, but I'm inclined to strongly agree that their playing is basic when compared to great guitarists.

Overrated (in terms of technical skills): Jimmy Page

Well, actually, Zeppelin's hits are all "remixes". So, Page isn't the musical genius that people once thought of him as. Maybe his recording techniques are/were special.

To the poster who said "Anyone can sit 6 hours with a metronome"; I think you are really underestimating just how hard it is to sit on a chair, practicing with proper techniques.

Also, to the poster who said "EVH sucks". I don't even know where to start; I won't bother.

Inb4 someone goes full retard and says Yngwie Malmsteen or MAB.

Someone already said Eddie Van Halen. What da hell?

And I'll say it again. His solos have no connection to the songs melodically, rhythmically, or in some cases even harmonically. He sounds like a computer that randomly generates guitar notes. His rhythm play is all right, I like a few of his intros, but he just loses all musical connection to what's going on when he starts soloing.

I like Yngwie and Satriani (Vai I can take or leave), but their stuff is much more musical than anything EVH ever played. I don't have a problem with virtuosity, but you can't let your technical excellence get in the way of actually making good music. Guys like David Gilmore and Brian May are examples of the right way to fit a great solo into the context of the song IMO.

ah yeah i remember how they shit on the strokes for being rich then promoted vampire weekend who consciously cultivated an "upper crust" image. They find the most arbitrary reasons to hate a band except listening to the actual music. flip floppers aswell :icon_chee oh well I'm glad I'm not 17 anymore or that would really piss me off. haha

I think they have a board with 1-10 on it and throw a dart at it to see what they'll give hip hop albums

Gord Downie from The Tragically Hip. He would occasionally pick up a guitar for acoustic sets, and Paul Langlois and Bob Baker would unplug his guitar from the amp and play in the background so people wouldn't notice.

Overrated (in terms of technical skills): Jimmy Page

Well, actually, Zeppelin's hits are all "remixes". So, Page isn't the musical genius that people once thought of him as. Maybe his recording techniques are/were special.

To the poster who said "Anyone can sit 6 hours with a metronome"; I think you are really underestimating just how hard it is to sit on a chair, practicing with proper techniques.

Also, to the poster who said "EVH sucks". I don't even know where to start; I won't bother.

I grew up playing many instruments and I was classically trained at woodwinds. I've played guitar for over 10 years. Give me a pointy scalloped neck piece of shit and I'll go note for note with anyone. I quit when I realized I was just regurgitating things much more talented men had written.

You could give Steve Vai 50 years and he couldn't write Dark Side Of The Moon. You'd rather listen to his wanks over DSOTM?

u2s whole rhythm section is god awful. i cant believe those guys are professional musicians

Back