Guitarists: who is the worst?

Flippant

silly twonk
Reaction score
Not talking about technically sound players whose music you simply don't like.

I'm talking "My boo got talent", and among successful guitarists, a guy like Mick Mars.

Mars is an excellent example because his playing never advanced much past rudimentary.

I remember reading an article some time ago on Pitchfork.com that had the top 25 worst guitar solos and Neal Schon from Journey had 7 on the list... they really didn't like him...

I remember reading an article some time ago on Pitchfork.com that had the top 25 worst guitar solos and Neal Schon from Journey had 7 on the list... they really didn't like him...

I'm not a huge fan, but his solos don't stand out as lousy to my ears, and like it or not (I don't) his sound influenced a lot of players.

Plenty of guitarists make it big without being particularly good players. Popularity doesn't really require it at all; some of us just think good guitar playing is a requirement for a (ostensibly rock) band to be good.

Any Steve Vaiesque uberwank. Anyone can buy a metronome and sit in front of it for 6 hours a day. Not everyone makes great music.

Hate to say it, but Kurt Cobain.

I love Nirvana but he is definitely not one of the top 100 guitarists of all time (as per Rolling Stone). Even novice guitar players shouldn't have much trouble playing his stuff.

So, are you talking famous but technically deficient? Most early punk guitarists would fall into this category, but who cares? I think a better question is who records shitty solos regardless of how skilled they are technically. As such, I'm going to say Eddie Van Halen. Amazing technical chops, bascially no musicality whatsoever. His solos often sound like they're in a different key than the rest of the band, and he has no sense of rhythm or melody. He basically just fretboard-craps every chance he gets. I find him hard to listen to, which is too bad because I really like most of Van Halen's songs until it gets to the solo.

Delonge?
What's bad about him? Granted, hes not exceptionally good, I'm just curious what's inherently bad about him

Don't get me wrong, I like his music. Dude Ranch was one of my favorite albums growing up. But technically, everything I've ever heard him play was something you could learn your first year. All powerchords and short one note riffs. As a primary guitarist for a band, IMO, you should be able to do more than that. I feel his lack of versatility was a big reason why a lot of their shit sounds the same.

Don't get me wrong, I like his music. Dude Ranch was one of my favorite albums growing up. But technically, everything I've ever heard him play was something you could learn your first year. All powerchords and short one note riffs. As a primary guitarist for a band, IMO, you should be able to do more than that. I feel his lack of versatility was a big reason why a lot of their shit sounds the same.

Ah, i see where you're coming from.

screw pitchfork. they are just a bunch of hipsters.

Plenty of guitarists make it big without being particularly good players. Popularity doesn't really require it at all; some of us just think good guitar playing is a requirement for a (ostensibly rock) band to be good.

Good point, same with any kind of artist, be it painting or acting.

I've heard Noodle, from Offspring, is pretty horrible when trying to play live. Emphasis on the word trying.

Back