Guitarists: What are you playing on these days?

Got a few more old electrics in my parent's attic. Can't bring myself to get rid of them due to sentimental value.

If they're from when you were a kid, absolutely do not get rid of them.

The Takamine GX200TB was my first guitar in the 80's, my first amp was a Peavey Backstage Plus from the early 80's. Pulled them both from storage at my mothers house, there was really no describing the joy of playing on the guitar that I started with and had invested so many hours playing as a kid. These days I own gear 'worth' many, many times what that oddball Tak solidbody electric and Peavey practice amp are but to me, they're totally priceless and in a fire, I'd pass by guitars worth thousands and thousands to rescue them first. It's my 'Rosebud'.

To think, on a few occasions in my late teens/early 20s, I contemplated selling them for extra cash. Would've been such a colossal mistake. Whatever you do, don't sell off the artifacts of your childhood, especially a beloved guitar. This is something you might only appreciate when you get a bit older but its a mistake that cannot be undone if you make it.

Jesus.

I have an Ibanez 570 and a ESP H-1000

For amps I have a Peavey Bandit 112 and a Marshall JCM800

I bought my Ibanez RG570 like 12 years ago. Still love playing it over my Les Paul Standard. the neck is the perfect width. the actions is really smooth. And the Floyd Rose bridge is a work of art.

I have a no name cheap Classical that my dad picked up in Spain before I was born, then passed down to me.

Big sentimental value, even if there are a few dings in the body and I had to replace the tuning pegs.

Picked up a cheap Ibanez GAX30 and a cheap 50w Marshall amp.

I started learning earlier this year but kinda fell out of it and am starting from the beginning on the Classical to iron out the bad habits I might have picked up.

If/when I get better and can afford it i'll get something a bit more upmarket.

I have

Gibson Les Paul Standard
ESP MH1000
Epiphone Acoustic

That's all for guitars. I sold off a couple others. The Gibson is my day to day guitar.

I have a couple of BS practice amps and Ibanez Toneblaster half stack. My amps are garbage. I'm in desperate need for a new one

my prs santana edition~

11070712272031.jpg

plays like butta~

Here's a closer look at the Alembic:

alembic1.png

Ebony Fingerboard, 3-piece Maple neck, Mahogany Semi hollow body, gold Machine heads and custom HGx2 pickups :icon_chee

That's the very exact guitar Joel Hamiliton used on the Shiner record Lula DiVinia tour (through a Mashall JMP if I remember correctly) and i believe Allen Epley plays it on the record. The notey tinnier brighter one is Allen Epley's Tele through an Orange twin or a Duo Sonic with P90s

listen here

Last edited:
my prs santana edition~

11070712272031.jpg

plays like butta~

Dope. Always wanted a PRS. Not this particular model but it's still nice.

The nicest one I've ever seen was Dusty from Between the Buried and Me's custom 24 with a Floyd in the bridge.

Check it.

Since July I've been playing a custom made all-walnut Carvin DC 700 (7 string) that I've fitted with EMG X series pickups. I also have a Parker Fly Mojo that cost me almost twice as much, but to be honest, it's collecting dust at the moment. The Carvin blows everything else I've played out of the water.

If they're from when you were a kid, absolutely do not get rid of them.

The Takamine GX200TB was my first guitar in the 80's, my first amp was a Peavey Backstage Plus from the early 80's. Pulled them both from storage at my mothers house, there was really no describing the joy of playing on the guitar that I started with and had invested so many hours playing as a kid. These days I own gear 'worth' many, many times what that oddball Tak solidbody electric and Peavey practice amp are but to me, they're totally priceless and in a fire, I'd pass by guitars worth thousands and thousands to rescue them first. It's my 'Rosebud'.

To think, on a few occasions in my late teens/early 20s, I contemplated selling them for extra cash. Would've been such a colossal mistake. Whatever you do, don't sell off the artifacts of your childhood, especially a beloved guitar. This is something you might only appreciate when you get a bit older but its a mistake that cannot be undone if you make it.

Yeah, they were both from when I was around 13 when I started learning. I relate a lot to what you're saying. I'm a bit of a sentimental person so i'd be super bummed if I had to get rid of them. they've got a lot of memories and wrote a lot of shitty songs on them.

Just made a deal with someone on craigslist for a 5150 Combo amp

bale2.gif

ESP MX-351
Marshall AVT150 halfstack

I really need to start playing again. I've been playing about 10 years but haven't improved in the last 6 years.

What I wouldn't give to be able to play the main riff of SRV's Pride and Joy :(

ESP MX-351
Marshall AVT150 halfstack

I really need to start playing again. I've been playing about 10 years but haven't improved in the last 6 years.

What I wouldn't give to be able to play the main riff of SRV's Pride and Joy :(

When I hit a rut in my playing I started to teach myself some music theory and it's helped a lot. Arpeggios and scale and modes expand your playing options drastically.

For something like SRV, learn your minor pentatonic boxes (there are 5) and then your blues scale and it will immediately open your playing of that type of music. Extremely useful stuff.

If it's technique you want to work on, I recommend picking up something like John Petrucci's "Rock Discipline" which was an invaluable tool for me.

For something like SRV, learn your minor pentatonic boxes (there are 5) and then your blues scale and it will immediately open your playing of that type of music. Extremely useful stuff.

if you're into classic rock at all, this is exactly what you need to do. it's really easy too.

next thing would be to learn relative major/minor. also easy. major pentatonic is the same scale as minor, just moved three half-steps lower. it'll help you figure out what kind of leads fit your chord progression better.

right now i play a gibson sg special faded. I like it, but i'm not 100% satisfied with it. The g string has major tuning issues and it is bassy as fuck. I'm not a tech guy at all, and that might be something i could fix with new pick-ups, but i dunno.

my amp is also very problematic. it's a JCM 900 SLX (shittier than a regular 900). Half stack. It's only 50 watt so it really isn't loud enough to play with drums unless the gain is turned up significantly. I like my gain just a little bit dirty, so...sucks for me.

That's the very exact guitar Joel Hamiliton used on the Shiner record Lula DiVinia tour (through a Mashall JMP if I remember correctly) and i believe Allen Epley plays it on the record. The notey tinnier brighter one is Allen Epley's Tele through an Orange twin or a Duo Sonic with P90s

listen here

I didn't know that, thank you. I only knew the name Alembic from Jerry Garcia playing one. I made some research and found out they specialize in left-handed or highly custom guitars.

Dope. Always wanted a PRS. Not this particular model but it's still nice.

The nicest one I've ever seen was Dusty from Between the Buried and Me's custom 24 with a Floyd in the bridge.

Check it.

LOVE that band.

I bought my Ibanez RG570 like 12 years ago. Still love playing it over my Les Paul Standard. the neck is the perfect width. the actions is really smooth. And the Floyd Rose bridge is a work of art.

Yea the neck is super comfortable.

Back