Guitar Guys! - I need your advice on my next guitar.

Treat yourself to a dingwall.

Seriously, some of the old Tokai guitars that were *** knockoffs were excellent, much the same as the 70's Fender and Gibson.

I have never played a dingwall -I will try and check one out. Thanks!

nah man, I'm not tryin' to be a dick -It's never my intent to be disrespectful on here. I just got excited -PRS is hot button for me.

ahhhh,...I'm just being dramatic. they are great constructed quality high end guitars and are priced to more than reflect that. I cannot take away from their quality.

However, I do not prefer their tone but they have their place -but my main beef is they are a status symbol guitar for old guys -kind of like a Harley or a Landrover.

Music Man stuff is fantastic. I used to have a MM bass -just like Joe's from Fugazi -I sold it because I wanted more mid range growl -which it is not designed for -but it was a great bass.

lol alright, so it's more the image associated with them then the guitars themselves. Gotchya.

Personally I never thought of it that way because most of the guys I listen to who use one are metal guys.

I just mentioned PRS because when someone mentions a Les Paul, I put them in the same category together...that is; moderately overpriced-but solid guitars, but between them I'd pick PRS.

When I can afford one of these I'll probably never look at either again

No doubt, PRS makes nice instruments but the tone isn't for me.

The Music Man JP6 is amazing. One of the best feeling guitars I've ever played.

lol alright, so it's more the image associated with them then the guitars themselves. Gotchya.

Personally I never thought of it that way because most of the guys I listen to who use one are metal guys.

I just mentioned PRS because when someone mentions a Les Paul, I put them in the same category together...that is; moderately overpriced-but solid guitars, but between them I'd pick PRS.

When I can afford one of these I'll probably never look at either again

That's an awesome vid

A PRS for Metal?...

The metal I listen to requires a BC RIch, Gibson, ESP, Ibanez, or Jackson:redface:

That's an awesome vid

A PRS for Metal?...

The metal I listen to requires a BC RIch, Gibson, ESP, Ibanez, or Jackson:redface:

Opeth, Between the Buried and Me, etc. No genre "requires" any particular brand unless you are trying to be extra generic, but I'm sure you are just being facetious anyway.

This thread has gotten over my head, but still a good read.

I'd like to become as passionate about this instrument as many of you seem to be...

That's an awesome vid

A PRS for Metal?...

No way man, for metal it's gotta be a Harmony Rocket. Everyone knows that. And if you can retrofit a Bigsby on it, that's like super metal.

Opeth, Between the Buried and Me, etc. No genre "requires" any particular brand unless you are trying to be extra generic, but I'm sure you are just being facetious anyway.

Yes, I was making a Heavy Metal joke....:)

No way man, for metal it's gotta be a Harmony Rocket. Everyone knows that. And if you can retrofit a Bigsby on it, that's like super metal.

I used to have one!!! the damn original bridge made the guitar intonation annoying as hell!

I gave it to my buddy Derek who loves the whole Billy Childish/60s garage/proto punk stuff.

He didn't care if it went out of tune -he was happy as a clam back then.

but he commited suicide in Little Rock last year:icon_cry2 -i hope that Rocket was given to his daughter.

Last edited:
I used to have one!!! the damn original bridge made the guitar intonation annoying as hell!

I gave it to my buddy Derek who loves the whole Billy Childish/60s garage/proto punk stuff.

He didn't care if it went out of tune -he was happy as a clam back then.

but he commited suicide in Little Rock last year:icon_cry2 -i hope that Rocket was given to his daughter.

Woah, sorry to hear that man. Wish I had a Rocket, you know, just to say I have one.

Woah, sorry to hear that man. Wish I had a Rocket, you know, just to say I have one.

Don't tell me they are valuable now!

back in the 90s -not so much

Shit.
Check this out. Mine never sounded like this

Don't tell me they are valuable now!

back in the 90s -not so much

Shit.
Check this out. Mine never sounded like this

Ha, I really dig the out of phase tones he was getting (when he went into the rockabilly licks), that's right up my alley. Looks like he might be plugged into that Fender Deluxe (or is it a Twin Reverb?) in the background which might have a little something to do with that Rocket's great sound as well.

Buy the best guitar you can afford. It will likely hold its value if you ever want to sell it. And you will enjoy playing it a lot more than a shitty guitar, which will make you a better player.

Ha, I really dig the out of phase tones he was getting (when he went into the rockabilly licks), that's right up my alley. Looks like he might be plugged into that Fender Deluxe (or is it a Twin Reverb?) in the background which might have a little something to do with that Rocket's great sound as well.

My moneys on a Deluxe -classic sound. My Twin sounds boomier and rounder.

Little update.

After several trips to a hand full of local guitar shops, I think I may have come to a decision.

First I went to Moms Music and tried out a couple of Tak and Yamahas. The Yamahas didn't really do it for me. I've made 3 trips to the local GC and sat down with many different instruments. I test drove some Tak EG series guitars. Taylor 200 and 300 series and a hand full of Martins. Notably the GPCPA/OMCPA4's. Today I made a trip to a local shop to test drive a couple of Eastmans, along side a couple of Taylors again.

Now my search isn't completely over, but I'm about 90% sure I found the instrument for me. I was very impressed with the Eastman... very impressed, bit just like the Martins and Takamines, the Eastman just didn't quit measure up to the feel and sound of the Taylor.

I'm confident my next guitar will be the Taylor 316ce. I just love the feel and playability of that instrument. Winner winner chicken dinner...

AGTYEP-316CE-f.jpg

Back