Guitar Guys! - I need your advice on my next guitar.

Haha, LMFAO. Still, those PRS's are good enough for Johnny Hiland and I guarantee he'd play circles around any of us on his off day. And to be honest, the PRS guitars seem to have way better QC than the Gibsons and Fenders coming out of the factory these days. Gibbys in particular have been NOTORIOUS for poor QC the past decade or so. I've played quite a few BAD ones with some terrible fretwork, more than I should rightfully encounter at this price point.

But still, give me a good Fender Strat or Tele any day of the week.

Well, let me qualify this.

I QC every guitar before I buy it -I set alot of Fenders and Gibsons with minor problems -but I don't buy those

No guitar I own stays with the factory setup either. Everyone gets neck, action, fret, nut, and pickup adjustments before me steel wooling off the finish of the neck.

So PRS being QC'd and setup doesn't help me at all -as I'm going to do it anyways -I just can't stand that AM radio style upper mid range -but dudes like Santana love it -to each his own.

Do you gig out with a PRS Johnny? say it isn't so! :icon_chee

Haha, LMFAO. Still, those PRS's are good enough for Johnny Hiland and I guarantee he'd play circles around any of us on his off day. And to be honest, the PRS guitars seem to have way better QC than the Gibsons and Fenders coming out of the factory these days. Gibbys in particular have been NOTORIOUS for poor QC the past decade or so. I've played quite a few BAD ones with some terrible fretwork, more than I should rightfully encounter at this price point.

by the way Johnny Hilland doesn't play PRS guitars anymore -not for several years -he must have took my advice. lulz

You're better off finding an old Tokai copy of either the strat or les paul compared to the junk being made now. The PRS is miles ahead of most of the new stuff being made by Gibson and Fender...they lost their grip.

You're better off finding an old Tokai copy of either the strat or les paul compared to the junk being made now. The PRS is miles ahead of most of the new stuff being made by Gibson and Fender...they lost their grip.

not Fender nor Gibson have been making the highest end guitars for many decades -they make high end great ones -but not to the more boutique standards of Alembic, Padulla, PRS, G&L, etc etc

I'm not a big fan of the Les Pauls coming out today but the Memphis semi hollow body stuff is still wonderful. As for Fender -A G&L is what Fender was decades ago.

The chunkier neck shape of Gibsons is polarizing, but they do sound good. I am a bass player, and the players who I play with are pretty anti-Gibson. One is a fan of Strats but admits that they don't stay in tune. The other dude has 2 PRS guitars, a Taylor T5 custom (a thinline electric/acoustic), and an Ernie Ball Axis Supersport.

I am of the opinion that $2000 is the point of diminishing returns when it comes to guitars: acoustic, electric, basses, etc. A $2000 guitar is going to be sweet, and provide you with an enjoyable playing experience and solid tones. When you start getting above this price point, you are paying for things like inlay work, exotic hardwood tops and binding, upgraded finishes, electronic switching options, etc. Just one example, the last time my bandmates and I were at a VERY nice music store, one of them was playing a Guild 12-string acoustic that for $2500 absolutely blew away a $6500 Huss & Dalton that had macassar ebony back and abalone inlays all over the place.

Depending on where you live, this may be easier said than done, but Guitar Center is probably the WORST place to try instruments. They are never in tune, and often have such awful action, bowed necks, and dead strings that it is very easy to get an unfavorable impression of an instrument that if properly set up, would be very nice. Better off going to a smaller boutique-type music store next time you are in a big city and trying out some instruments that are cared for.

not Fender nor Gibson have been making the highest end guitars for many decades -they make high end great ones -but not to the more boutique standards of Alembic, Padulla, PRS, G&L, etc etc

I'm not a big fan of the Les Pauls coming out today but the Memphis semi hollow body stuff is still wonderful. As for Fender -A G&L is what Fender was decades ago.

Treat yourself to a dingwall.

Seriously, some of the old Tokai guitars that were *** knockoffs were excellent, much the same as the 70's Fender and Gibson.

Well, let me qualify this.

I QC every guitar before I buy it -I set alot of Fenders and Gibsons with minor problems -but I don't buy those

No guitar I own stays with the factory setup either. Everyone gets neck, action, fret, nut, and pickup adjustments before me steel wooling off the finish of the neck.

So PRS being QC'd and setup doesn't help me at all -as I'm going to do it anyways -I just can't stand that AM radio style upper mid range -but dudes like Santana love it -to each his own.

Do you gig out with a PRS Johnny? say it isn't so! :icon_chee

No. Absolutely not. I'm a single coils kinda guy so I don't groove with humbuckers in general. And I don't mean to be snobbish, but for me it's exactly like you said earlier, it's the whole overall vibe. They're too pretty and cute. I think of the Sunday worship guys, American Idol backing bands, and that chick, what's her name, Orianthi or something or other.

I gotta believe Jeff Beck would never play a PRS, neither would Page or Marr, it's just something about the vibe. It's just in my mind probably, but I associate it with being a genNext thing and I just can't vibe genNext musically or spiritually if you know what I mean. Ok, enough of my mindless rambling. Basically, I agree with you, though I like to play devil's advocate sometimes.

The chunkier neck shape of Gibsons is polarizing, but they do sound good. I am a bass player, and the players who I play with are pretty anti-Gibson. One is a fan of Strats but admits that they don't stay in tune. The other dude has 2 PRS guitars, a Taylor T5 custom (a thinline electric/acoustic), and an Ernie Ball Axis Supersport.

I am of the opinion that $2000 is the point of diminishing returns when it comes to guitars: acoustic, electric, basses, etc. A $2000 guitar is going to be sweet, and provide you with an enjoyable playing experience and solid tones. When you start getting above this price point, you are paying for things like inlay work, exotic hardwood tops and binding, upgraded finishes, electronic switching options, etc. Just one example, the last time my bandmates and I were at a VERY nice music store, one of them was playing a Guild 12-string acoustic that for $2500 absolutely blew away a $6500 Huss & Dalton that had macassar ebony back and abalone inlays all over the place.

Depending on where you live, this may be easier said than done, but Guitar Center is probably the WORST place to try instruments. They are never in tune, and often have such awful action, bowed necks, and dead strings that it is very easy to get an unfavorable impression of an instrument that if properly set up, would be very nice. Better off going to a smaller boutique-type music store next time you are in a big city and trying out some instruments that are cared for.

Since your a bass player, I will repeat from my last post, treat yourself to a dingwall bass. They are unbelievable.

Do Sheldon Dingwall and Mike Pedulla even make guitars? I was under the impression that those were bass companies only...

Treat yourself to a dingwall.

Seriously, some of the old Tokai guitars that were *** knockoffs were excellent, much the same as the 70's Fender and Gibson.

Look, I'm a hardcore Fender guy, but I have to admit, they're basically cheap guitars. I mean they were designed to be cheap, easily mass-produced as seen by the bolt-on neck design of which I think Leo Fender was the first to design. But the fact is, some of them ARE MAGIC. Plain and simple.

In fact, when the stratocaster was first brought on the market it was widely lambasted by guitarists as they all thought it was cheap with it's bolt-on neck and plastic pickguard. But then Buddy Holly played one on Ed Sullivan and everything changed (and then after Jimi EVERYONE was playing strats for a time, even all the hardcore former Lester pickers). Like I said, some strats/teles are just magical once one gets the feel for a 25.5 scale guitar.

Edit: Oh and the 70's fenders with their 3-bolt neck and after the CBS buyout were SHIT, some of the worst fender ever made. If you really wanna be a connoisseur about it, the pre-CBS 50's and 60's ones are the ones you want. Of course, they're the ones selling for 25K on ebay these days.

Last edited:

I agree with the diminishing returns over around 2k -3k.

At that point you are paying for custom inlays and paint finishes that do not impact playability or the sound of the instrument. They are pure cosmetic.

I just wanted to say this thread has been loaded with info I could have never known

Dingwall's basses are on my short list to try out, as I've always been curious about the fanned-fret layout. I like the Super J aestheticly more than his more modern designs, and the top of the line ones approach Fodera and Alembic in price (used car territory).

I rock a Modulus Quantum 5 currently. Very versatile and even throughout the register. Plus, humid/dry, hot/cold, it NEVER goes out of tune. Pretty much every major jam band bassist plays or has played one at some point, as well as Flea, obviously.

As this thread is completely hijacked at this point anyway, I may as well mention that I am currently building two basses: a fretless jazz and a precision, both with modern preamps and exotic wood tops, ala Roger Sadowsky. I usually spend my winters building furniture but this year I was without a project so I decided to take the plunge.

No. Absolutely not. I'm a single coils kinda guy so I don't groove with humbuckers in general. And I don't mean to be snobbish, but for me it's exactly like you said earlier, it's the whole overall vibe. They're too pretty and cute. I think of the Sunday worship guys, American Idol backing bands, and that chick, what's her name, Orianthi or something or other.

I gotta believe Jeff Beck would never play a PRS, neither would Page or Marr, it's just something about the vibe. It's just in my mind probably, but I associate it with being a genNext thing and I just can't vibe genNext musically or spiritually if you know what I mean. Ok, enough of my mindless rambling. Basically, I agree with you, though I like to play devil's advocate sometimes.

haha -PRS is the ultimate Christian Mega Church guitar. PRS worked very hard to steal that title from Peavy.

Fender Jazzmaster with JM coils or LP special with P90s are my favorite single coil setup. Good enough for Tom Verlaine is good enough for me.

And there is no chance Marr plays a PRS EVER! lulz

Do Sheldon Dingwall and Mike Pedulla even make guitars? I was under the impression that those were bass companies only...

Yes he did, I own 2 Pedulla guitars myself

MVP 365 and MVP 464

Maple with Bartolini beasts

Here's my 1979-80 Pedulla 464 on the left (I just snapped a pic a sec ago -Mike can't be positive about the year lulz ) It doesn't have the fancy pick guard, or nut cover on it because I have a custom tuning for it and custom string gauges which require weekly checks and adjustments -it's also banged up from touring for 10 years with it.

of course, on the right is one of my Basses -my favorite -A Rickenbacher -just as Chris Squire, Lemmy, and God intended :)

picture.php

also when I used to have questions about servicing or maintaining it -it's cool to pick up the phone and call Pedulla and talk to Mike or Christina directly -how many companies can you do that with?

Last edited:
Look, I'm a hardcore Fender guy, but I have to admit, they're basically cheap guitars. I mean they were designed to be cheap, easily mass-produced as seen by the bolt-on neck design of which I think Leo Fender was the first to design. But the fact is, some of them ARE MAGIC. Plain and simple.

In fact, when the stratocaster was first brought on the market it was widely lambasted by guitarists as they all thought it was cheap with it's bolt-on neck and plastic pickguard. But then Buddy Holly played one on Ed Sullivan and everything changed (and then after Jimi EVERYONE was playing strats for a time, even all the hardcore former Lester pickers). Like I said, some strats/teles are just magical once one gets the feel for a 25.5 scale guitar.

Edit: Oh and the 70's fenders with their 3-bolt neck and after the CBS buyout were SHIT, some of the worst fender ever made. If you really wanna be a connoisseur about it, the pre-CBS 50's and 60's ones are the ones you want. Of course, they're the ones selling for 25K on ebay these days.

The 70's were horrible for fender.

haha -PRS is the ultimate Christian Mega Church guitar. PRS worked very hard to steal that title from Peavy.

Fender Jazzmaster with JM coils or LP special with P90s are my favorite single coil setup. Good enough for Tom Verlaine is good enough for me.

And there is no chance Marr plays a PRS EVER! lulz

+1, I do loooove that P-90 growl.

If you want to have the tone of an AM radio -get a PRS IMO

A PRS can't touch a Les Paul Special with P90s or a Les Paul Standard with 57s

PRS are for mid life crisis guys who need a guitar to go along with their new assless chaps and Harley Davidson

Sorry, Just my very educated and professional opinion.

oh shit pwned?

I've seen you post a few times regarding music/production, you seem to know your shit...with that being said, PRS makes a great guitar, your educated and professional opinion is after all an opinion, and not shared by many.

We all have different ideas of what we want in a guitar, tone and feel, aesthetics, build quality, etc. In my admittedly limited experience with the PRS I've found it to meet my criteria, especially in 24 fret models, something that the Les Paul did not.

Personally I think my JP6 Music Man is one of the best guitars out there, and I'd probably take it over either a Les Paul or a PRS (unless it was a custom model like Dusty from BTBAM's w/floyd), but I think your "am radio" comparison is simply inaccurate.

Just noticed you are a single coil only guy, that explains it somewhat.

oh shit pwned?

nah man, I'm not tryin' to be a dick -It's never my intent to be disrespectful on here. I just got excited -PRS is hot button for me.

I've seen you post a few times regarding music/production, you seem to know your shit...with that being said, PRS makes a great guitar, your educated and professional opinion is after all an opinion, and not shared by many.

We all have different ideas of what we want in a guitar, tone and feel, aesthetics, build quality, etc. In my admittedly limited experience with the PRS I've found it to meet my criteria, especially in 24 fret models, something that the Les Paul did not.

Personally my JP6 Music Man is one of the best guitars out there, and I'd probably take it over either a Les Paul or a PRS (unless it was a custom model like Dusty from BTBAM's w/floyd), but I think your "am radio" comparison is simply inaccurrate

ahhhh,...I'm just being dramatic. they are great constructed quality high end guitars and are priced to more than reflect that. I cannot take away from their quality.

However, I do not prefer their tone but they have their place -but my main beef is they are a status symbol guitar for old guys -kind of like a Harley or a Landrover.

Music Man stuff is fantastic. I used to have a MM bass -just like Joe's from Fugazi -I sold it because I wanted more mid range growl -which it is not designed for -but it was a great bass.

Back