Guitar Cases, hard or soft?

Goonerview

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I have a guitar, I rarely play it, but I have it stored in a big, bulky hard guitar case.

I’m thinking of selling the hard case, and buying a soft case for ease of storage.

Anyone have experience with which is better? Would putting my guitar is a soft case make it more susceptible to damage? Mould?

My guitar isn’t even that big, but the current hard case I have it in is mad bulky.

I only own hard cases, but I rarely use them.

if you're not stacking them or anything soft should be fine.

If you aren't gigging and traveling, a soft case is fine. Just don't stack anything on it.

Hard case for peace of mind.

Then again if you rarely play then it’s probably not a big deal to you. A decent soft case is fine for keeping it at home provided you’re not a clumsy fuck that knocks shit over like me.

You can also go the middle road and get one of the fancier soft cases with thick padding and lots of compartments.

I rarely use a case, but if I had a new expensive guitar, id go with a hard case. I've been playing the same Jackson for like.... 18 years? The damage & rust gives it character
<{JustBleed}>

Hard case for sure, especially if you're going to be storing it. I've been playing guitar since I've been 9 years old and I have 7 guitars, 1 bass, and 1 ukulele. I have a little studio set up in my basement with amps, drums, and a PA where i usually keep 4 or five of them on guitar stands. Another thing that looks kind of sharp imo is to wall mount them like this...

s-l400.jpg

Last edited:
Just sold my hardcase and bought a nice, light soft case. Much easier to carry, store, unzip and play.

Yeah just get soft. I dont use cases, although my cheap ass nylon is the only one I take with me regularly. Ive had that one for eight or nine years and Im quite attached to it but I dont really care about it due to the negotiated down $75 price tag.

I have hard cases for my electric and acoustic but only use if going for a jam or away, soft would be fine just for storage.

What guitar is it?

If it's an acoustic, there's no point in getting a soft case

Hard case for sure, especially if you're going to be storing it. I've been playing guitar since I've been 9 years old and I have 7 guitars, 1 bass, and 1 ukulele. I have a little studio set up in my basement with amps, drums, and a PA where i usually keep 4 or five of them on guitar stands. Another thing that looks kind of sharp imo is to wall mount them like this...

s-l400.jpg
Excellent post and I’m very jealous you have a basement studio

s-l400.jpg

You keep your acoustics out of the case?

s-l400.jpg
I’ve thought about wall-mounting, but it would have to be idiot-proof, my diy skills are non-existent and I have visions of coming downstairs one day to find a broken guitar on the floor and a big hole ripped out of the wall...

Hard is better for storing in your closet but bags are much better for shows especially if you carry your own shit.
Rock stars have hard travel cases for everything but they tour all the time and have people to carry their shit.

I have a three snap hard case, came with my Strat, and IIRC shortly thereafter discontinued.

It's a fucking tank. It fell out of the back a truck onto pavement, and not only was the case undamaged (not even a visible scratch) but the guitar was still in tune.

I recommend a hard case if you care about the finish. I have an older Jackson and don't care about nicks and scratches, so that one's in a soft case.

I'll tell ya that soft case zippers will eventually tell you to fuck off.

Rock hard

walk hard.

...it's been a while since I've browsed cases, ts. I'm pretty much a noon the topic. With that said, since you asked, unless soft cases are well made these days and provide even the slightest padding, the guitar could be damaged at any point if there is any accident with it.

Back