Guilotine defence.

Weonlywonsixtwo

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Man, I was getting owned cause of it today. Like once its sunk it or about to be sunk in from the guard. ThanX

if theres no arm in

sand on your toes and try to touch your forehead to the floor

one arm hold his wrist, turn your face into his ribs

other arm go around his neck, and drive your shoulder into his throat. hold this until he lets go. it can also be a submission, but not likely.

If he tries to guilotine your whilst pulling guard you need to shift your body into side control with your legs on the opposing side to his choke. So if he tries to do a guillotine on his left side you need to move your legs round so you sidemount he on HIS right. Therefore you are lying over his body and he has your head under his arm and vice versa. But he will not be able to submit you from this position as he hasn't enough lverage. Generally you can just pull your head out from here, (like hammon says) if not crossface him with one arm and use your other arm to loosen his grip under your chin whilst you twist your head inwards and toward his body. And be aggressive with the corssface too!!

If he has you in guard do what hamoon says.

But really the best way not to get Guilotined is obviously not to give up your neck and if you do make sure it is tucked bloody tightly into your chest. It is a very easy submission to give away in your early days but you will learn to defend in successfully. Ask your instructor too he may have some other little tricks too...

hope that helps.

Rob

and stop putting your head on the outside of the hip when going for a takedown..That should be your first line of defense

robyrob211 said:
If he tries to guilotine your whilst pulling guard you need to shift your body into side control with your legs on the opposing side to his choke.
Rob

You are saying it like its just that easy to pass the guard and get side control while you're getting the crap choked out of you.

TapSD said:
and stop putting your head on the outside of the hip when going for a takedown..That should be your first line of defense

I'm a wrestler and I'm too used to this. What should I do then?

x100tears4m412x said:

Keep your head up. Look right at his chest

x100tears4m412x said:

I was a wrestler too and you have to get used to either going Very low on the double leg or just simply getting used to putting your head on the inside which is part of BJJ you will pick up after a while

Obviously, in black and white text, it is tough to describe techniques. There are many effective escapes from the guillotine.

I've started giving seminars on "Escapes from the Guillotine Choke", at local martial arts schools. It's 90 minutes long, and I cover a dozen+ techniques. They vary, depending on whether the choke is applied standing, or from the knees, or from inside the closed guard.

I started doing the seminar after seeing Lutter get choked out by Matt Lindland at a recent UFC, and seeing the same choke finishing 4 out of 11 matches at a local cage fight event recently. It is a common choke that anyone can apply, but it is amazing how many effective escapes there are, and how many pro fighters, and others, don't know them. I've showed these to some of the pros I work with, and they are using them effectively.

If you are in my area sometime, get in touch and I'll show you some stuff on my mats, no-charge. I might put the stuff on DVD before long.

Good luck.

[email protected]

I'm not the strongest fighter and my opponents usually are too stong so I'm trying to work on some technique.

I know that I'm supposed to turn my chin into their ribs but what should I be doing with my hands while im doing that? How should I peel away their hands away from my neck?

x100tears4m412x said:
I'm not the strongest fighter and my opponents usually are too stong so I'm trying to work on some technique.

I know that I'm supposed to turn my chin into their ribs but what should I be doing with my hands while im doing that? How should I peel away their hands away from my neck?
Some people work the hands to break the grip or concentrate on pushing doen on there elbow while you try and get your head out

I dont want to sound like a wimp, but trying to escape from guilhotine is usually very painful, screws my ears and neck, it sucks. The other day though I tried something that worked pretty well, but you need to be strong to do it. While my oponent was starting to guilhotine me on his right side, I looked up, grabbed the back of his gi over his shoulder, and with my right hand went for a kataguruma. when his hips were elevated, and he was starting to face down, he let go of my neck. This guy is very good with the guilhotine, so it was satisfying to get this defense working against someone that does the move well.

apapen said:
I dont want to sound like a wimp, but trying to escape from guilhotine is usually very painful, screws my ears and neck, it sucks. The other day though I tried something that worked pretty well, but you need to be strong to do it. While my oponent was starting to guilhotine me on his right side, I looked up, grabbed the back of his gi over his shoulder, and with my right hand went for a kataguruma. when his hips were elevated, and he was starting to face down, he let go of my neck. This guy is very good with the guilhotine, so it was satisfying to get this defense working against someone that does the move well.
Yea..it is pianful or else it wouldnt be a sub..your neck will get used to being ccranked eventually

Rico11643 said:
You are saying it like its just that easy to pass the guard and get side control while you're getting the crap choked out of you.

Perhaps i should have specified that this is not so easy from inside the closed guard, or infact close to impossible.

Naturally life is all about experience and i can only speak of my own with regards to this topic, however i must say i have had much success with this. When applying the guilotine from a non-closed guard position is it so common that the attacker will not prevent the victim from passing. Words cannot describe the success i have had with this method and wuite frankly if you time it correctly it is an amazing move to turn defence into attack.

I suggest you try it, you may be surprised...

-Rob

Turn your head so that your chin is grinding into his body, that way he won't get the choke. Make sure you keep moving with his body because he will try to shift his hips so that your face will slip and he can sink it all the way in. Keep doing this and evenetually he will either let go or go for a kimura on your arm on the opposite side; be prepared to pull out of his fast.

some people said to put your free arm inside his arm and underhook him?
I believe this kills your escape chance especially if your in his guard.

you need to apply more pressure on his neck than yours to loosen his grip.

Back