Guillotine Symposium

It's odd. I used to get a lot of guillotines, but since I went nuts in brabo, japanese tie, anaconda etc. variations I no longer think to look for the straight forward guillotine.

I always hunt for the Brabo/Darce, Anaconda, Peruvians, and the rest, just like you. But, having the Marcelo style Guillotine is a great way to add yet another dimension to your choke game. It's so versatile, and once you get people scared of the Guillotine, you can go right back to your head-and-arm variations. It's far and away the best Guillotine because it can be nailed from so many places.

A lot of talk about keeping it simple and not forgetting the basics and then you all credit Marcelo without mentioning Roger? :D

I always hunt for the Brabo/Darce, Anaconda, Peruvians, and the rest, just like you. But, having the Marcelo style Guillotine is a great way to add yet another dimension to your choke game. It's so versatile, and once you get people scared of the Guillotine, you can go right back to your head-and-arm variations. It's far and away the best Guillotine because it can be nailed from so many places.

And that is why it's really been bothering me lately. If I'm such a head'n'arm freak I should be using the guillotine all the time, at the very least as a setup. A few weeks ago I threatened with a guillotine grip with one arm from sidemount or the top of halfguard and when the guy moved his hand up to loosen my grip I softly held on to that hand with my free hand. He ended up finishing an extremely deep brabo for me without ever noticing it and I was laughing my ass off. That is why I should be thinking more about the guillotine - none of that was planned, it just happened.

A lot of talk about keeping it simple and not forgetting the basics and then you all credit Marcelo without mentioning Roger? :D

I love what Roger does with closed guard. I am working on the cross collar choke really hard right now because of him. Cross collar choke in gi is somewhat like guillotine no gi. First choke you learn, first choke you learn to defend. Is often regarded as too simple or not likely in higher level competition.. Then you get Marcelo and his guillotines and Roger and his cross collar chokes wrecking shop.

Keep it simple!

Did you use a the hand in hand cupping grip and push your thumbs into the neck?

This grip?
3.gif

Because I just took my two hands in this position and put then right in my trachea right under the jaw line and pushed up and it made me gag. lol Doesn't feel good even when you do it to yourself. Is it a choke or pure pain move? Do guys go out from the 10 finger or just tap from pain? Inquiring minds want to know :)

It will definitely choke someone out - it's essentially crushing the trachea - but it's such a miserable choke to be caught in that pretty much everyone will tap from the pain (not to mention their desire to breathe normally for the foreseeable future). You can eat a bit of the pressure if you get your hands in there early enough to block the choke, but when it's sunk you don't even think about trying to fight through it - you just tap.

Did you train gi or nogi? Cause I think it's normal to hit guillotines less and less if you are doing gi Bjj.
I train with a gi three times a week, and no gi once or twice a week. I agree, I think it's harder with a gi.

Back