Guillotine Symposium

Anyone have a favorite? Arm-in? No-arm? Ten finger?

Reverse guillotine?

I love guillos but I have yet to land a reverse or a ten finger guillotine :(

I really liked that Robson vid.

I really liked that Robson vid.

Me too, easily one of my favorites. There are hundreds of guillotine videos online, but these are just a few I found to be unique in some way, same with Kenny Florians guillotine video (which I have neglected to add).

Matt Arroyo, the first video, is a great video as well because this video was filmed right after Matt rolled with Marcelo Garcia and Marcelo showed him some things about the guillotine.

Some footage of them rolling here...(shaky)
Video Gallery - Arroyo Vs marcelo going harder

When I read "no arm guillotine" I first thought "how does someone choke someone with a guillotine without using their arms? then I realized what it meant and felt like an idiot

When I read "no arm guillotine" I first thought "how does someone choke someone with a guillotine without using their arms? then I realized what it meant and felt like an idiot

Hahaha glad it wasn't just me. :icon_chee

lol, doesn't Kyle Maynard do one on of those? I have seen him north-south some guys at the very least. :)

My favorite guillotine is the arm guillotine, but you use your legs and hips to push the trapped arm across your opponents body before closing the guard. My second favorite is the basket or 10 finger.

My favorite guillotine is the arm guillotine, but you use your legs and hips to push the trapped arm across your opponents body before closing the guard. My second favorite is the basket or 10 finger.

How do you mean? This is from standing or sitting? You mean as you fall back to guard their arm that is trapped inside on the guillotine is pushed to the side like a triangle by your legs? Sounds interesting, but I can't quite picture it.

The ten finger is so brutal, but I can rarely get good head/body positioning where they cannot pull their head out backwards easily.

I have always like this step by step by Chris Brennan.

Ten Finger Guillotine by Chris Brennan

I haven't hit many guillotines at all lately to be honest, I use to use them all the time, but as we have all progressed I feel my opportunities are not as evident. It is obviously because guillotines are some of the first submissions we learn and learn to defend....so everyone has good defense now...

But then you see guys like Marcelo pulling guillotines on everyone at the highest level. He proves guillotines can be relevant anywhere, he even submits guys with guillotines regularly from underneath their sidecontrol!...insane.

Anyone have a favorite? Arm-in? No-arm? Ten finger?

Reverse guillotine?

I love guillos but I have yet to land a reverse or a ten finger guillotine :(

landed my first ten finger last week! I was grinning like an idiot, and my partner looked at me like I was a total asshole! I had to explain why I was smiling :icon_lol:

landed my first ten finger last week! I was grinning like an idiot, and my partner looked at me like I was a total asshole! I had to explain why I was smiling :icon_lol:

How did his trachea feel afterward? lol

The reverse guillotine looks really solid, it's a shame I can never seem able to set it up (less chances as I almost always train with the gi on)

The rare times we train without the gi I like the no-arm in basic one, gripping my hand with the other; but to tell the truth, in no-gi guillotines were always my kryptonite, always really afraid of them and I tapped a lot even against just strong, less techincal than me dudes. I would be curious to see how I'm managing this now as it's been almost an year since I roll no-gi last time.

Tsom, its a sitting guillotine, you normally set up a front headlock with the arm controlled, as you pull guard you make sure to cross the arm using your legs and hips. Picture as if you were setting up a anaconda choke, but then pull guard in such a way as to trap the arm.

My favorite is the one arroyo does. That's how Marcelo choked the hell out of me and my brother a few weeks ago, lol. He's absolutely amazing!

I haven't hit many guillotines at all lately to be honest, I use to use them all the time, but as we have all progressed I feel my opportunities are not as evident. It is obviously because guillotines are some of the first submissions we learn and learn to defend....so everyone has good defense now...

But then you see guys like Marcelo pulling guillotines on everyone at the highest level. He proves guillotines can be relevant anywhere, he even submits guys with guillotines regularly from underneath their sidecontrol!...insane.

I hit 4 or 5 of those Marcelo Guillotines tonight. I have a question though, that Robson Guillotine... what do people call that? I've heard Walsh choke, Monty Python choke. I've always just called it a Arm Triangle Guillotine.

Back