Guillermo Rigondeaux is like watching real one matrix why hasn't he been more popular

Marc A

Being broke is being dishonest
@Silver
Reaction score
I don't get this , this guy is light years ahead of his competition yet get no to little hype

The guy is like the matrix ,

Cuz Arum hated him.

First of all, he's very small. Most people do not pay a lot of attention to those weight classes. He also wasn't marketed very well, and he has enough talent to be an avoided fighter.

But I think a lot of it falls on his own shoulders as well. He's only had 15 professional fights, but still only fought twice a year in 2013 and 2014. He hasn't even fought in 2015. You don't build a fan base like that, especially in that weight class. He is undefeated at super-bantamweight, but hasn't moved around in weight to find big fights. He is a great boxer, and a very good puncher, but doesn't always finish guys that he probably could (2 KO's in his last 5). He doesn't talk trash, or even speak English, so he never does American interviews.

He's a great fighter, but he has very few things going for him that are fan friendly, and he doesn't seem interested in trying to change that. If you're that small, you have to go out of your way to make a name for yourself.

Out of curiosity, what super bantamweight superstars can you name off the top of your head? I think, in a way, the "why isn't Rigo a star?" question is kinda obvious.

He needs Keanu Reeves' hair to complete the package.

His last fight was really good. So was his break down of Donaire. It's a weird thing though, who becomes popular and who doesn't. He's also had some fights that weren't very fan friendly.

I think it's a cop out that people put so much blame Bob Arum for this one, and this is coming from someone who hates Bob Arum.

Did you guys really expect Bob Arum to make a superstar out of a 30-something Cuban super bantamweight?

Nobody can make Rigo a star, he just doesn't have the necessary qualities for it. He's not with Arum anymore, right? Is he now on the fast-track to stardom? He hasn't even fought in 2015.

I think it's a cop out that people put so much blame Bob Arum for this one, and this is coming from someone who hates Bob Arum.

Did you guys really expect Bob Arum to make a superstar out of a 30-something Cuban super bantamweight?

Nobody can make Rigo a star, he just doesn't have the necessary qualities for it. He's not with Arum anymore, right? Is he now on the fast-track to stardom? He hasn't even fought in 2015.

Tbf TS said more popular, not a star.

First of all, he's very small. Most people do not pay a lot of attention to those weight classes. He also wasn't marketed very well, and he has enough talent to be an avoided fighter.

But I think a lot of it falls on his own shoulders as well. He's only had 15 professional fights, but still only fought twice a year in 2013 and 2014. He hasn't even fought in 2015. You don't build a fan base like that, especially in that weight class. He is undefeated at super-bantamweight, but hasn't moved around in weight to find big fights. He is a great boxer, and a very good puncher, but doesn't always finish guys that he probably could (2 KO's in his last 5). He doesn't talk trash, or even speak English, so he never does American interviews.

He's a great fighter, but he has very few things going for him that are fan friendly, and he doesn't seem interested in trying to change that. If you're that small, you have to go out of your way to make a name for yourself.

Out of curiosity, what super bantamweight superstars can you name off the top of your head? I think, in a way, the "why isn't Rigo a star?" question is kinda obvious.

Bingo...

Nothing more to say really. good job killing this thread, ass.

I appreciate your passionate response but I never said a star just more popular but a lot of what you said probably explains the reasons

Well, all the guys that could boost Rigo's popularity simply aren't there for him to fight. Rigo was blatantly ducked by LSC and even Frampton seems hesitant to take him on without at least one last big name fight. Mares doesn't seem that interested either. And Rigo isn't doing himself any favors. Loma said it was fine to face Rigo so long as it was at 126 and Rigo wasn't interested. Fine, I won't say anybody's ducking, but he's not doing himself any favors there.

I appreciate your passionate response but I never said a star just more popular but a lot of what you said probably explains the reasons

I wasn't intending for my response to sound rude, if that's how it came across I apologize. I was just trying to list the reasons, and there's a lot.

I actually think Rigo is pretty popular for a guy his size. He just can't reach that next level where casual fans of the sport take notice of him. I think if you asked the average poster on this boxing forum to name 5 current super bantamweights they couldn't do it. But everyone knows Rigo, and that says something.

Well, he was poorly managed by Arum to begin with, and then smeared by Arum and hack boxing writers after schooling a top 5 p4p fighter. That's not going to help anyone. Basically, he has been very poorly promoted and then crucified in the boxing media for no apparent reason (well, I think the reason is likely that Arum knew he wasn't going to keep Rigo after the contract ran out and that Arum wanted to help preserve Donaire's reputation by softening his loss and, frankly, I think that people with Arum's influence in the sport certainly influence the writers), but he has also seemed content to sit on the sidelines and wait things out while he has been free of Arum. For a man well into his 30s, I would have hoped him to be more urgent in signing with a new promoter and hunting out some big fights (having said that, very few are willing to fight him).

Well, all the guys that could boost Rigo's popularity simply aren't there for him to fight. Rigo was blatantly ducked by LSC and even Frampton seems hesitant to take him on without at least one last big name fight. Mares doesn't seem that interested either. And Rigo isn't doing himself any favors. Loma said it was fine to face Rigo so long as it was at 126 and Rigo wasn't interested. Fine, I won't say anybody's ducking, but he's not doing himself any favors there.

Uh, what? Rigondeaux's camp has agreed to the fight so long as there is a 134 pound rehydration clause. Lomachenko's camp has rejected the 134 rehydration clause and that seems to be the last news made public on that front (Lomachenko recently made some plea on twitter about how they should fight for the pride and not the money, but I don't think anyone cares about grandstanding like that). Rigondeaux essentially fights right at the 122 pound limit and could make 115 without much trouble, so I think putting a 134 pound rehydration limit on a 126 pound fight is extremely reasonable and the fact is that Lomachenko's camp rejected that, so I don't think there is much of any evidence to say that Rigo isn't interested in fighting Lomachenko at 126.

He's small, some of his fights aren't exactly for the for the casuals, he doesn't speak English, and a lot of guys don't want to fight him. Risk/reward isn't there for his more popular potential opponents.

Very technical and beautiful movement as well. I like him and watching him fight is awesome. But I think if only he would be bit more active and throw more punches, he would be real exciting to watch. I understand though that he is careful with his punches, he doesn't want to throw if he thinks he will be countered

And yeah, I hope he wish fight more often too

Back