60kgx8
60kgx8

Calf Raises
50kgx10
50kgx10
50kgx10

Stationary Bike for 20mins

Sunday
I went to a sauna and decided to put in an extra workout. The gym (above the sauna) had very little proper equipment, mostly machines. It felt nice being able to do the push workout when my body isn't already beat up.

Gym

Cardio
Treadmill 10min, warmup.

Standing Overhead Press
40kgx5
50kgx5
50kgx5
50kgx5
50kgx5

Bench Press
Had to use a smith machine as there was no regular bench press at this gym. The smith machine was counter weighted so I don't know how accurate these would be on a real bench press.
60kgx5
80kgx5
90kgx4
110kgx1 Failed on the second and had to do the roll of shame.
95kgx5

Floor Press
Dumbbells
18kgx8
25kgx8
25kgx8
25kgx8

Lying Tricep Extension
30kgx6
30kgx6
30kgx6

Abs
Sit ups and Side Bends x10x3

Monday
Didn't get much sleep the night before so I ended up having one rough workout.

Boxing

-30min treadmill, 2.41km today.
-Stretching
-Knee-ups(x30 per leg) - Step-ups(2min) x1.
-Jab/Cross, 150 times x 1 set.
-1,2,1,2, 150 times x 1 set.
-Punching bag, 100 times x 10 sets.
-Abs circuit.

Tuesday

Boxing

-30min treadmill, 2.39km.
-Knee-ups(x30 per leg) x 3.
-Abs circuit.

Friday

Boxing

-30min treadmill, 2.51km. Was able to jog 4mins straight for the the first time, twice.
-Punching bag, 70 times x 11 sets.
-Abs circuit.

Gym

Standing Overhead Press
50kgx3
50kgx3

Push Press
50kgx5
50kgx5
50kgx5

Bench Press
60kgx5
80kgx3
80kgx3
80kgx3
90kgx3

YTWLL x2

Saturday

Gym

Back Squat
Barx10x2
60kgx3
70kgx3
90kgx3
100kgx3
100kgx3
100kgx3

Front Squat
60kgx3
65kgx3
70kgx3 Genie Grip
75kgx0 Bar rolled down my left shoulder halfway down the squat.60kgx3
60kgx3
60kgx3

Stiff Legged Deadlift
60kgx8
65kgx8
70kgx8

Back Extensions
10x3

Leg Curl
60kgx8x3

Calf Raise
60kgx8x3

Monday

Boxing
My left shoulder has started bugging me during the workout. Had the same problem when I started swimming a lot last year. I got some time later this week, so I'll go see the doc.

-30min treadmill. Was able to jog for 12mins total (2min,2min,4min,3min,1min) throughout the thirty minutes. My ultimate goal is to jog for the full thirty. The short term goal is to hit the 5min mark, then 7, 9, 10... till I make it to thirty.
-<strike>Abs circuit. </strike> Was the dumbass here and forgot about it. I'll make it up tomorrow.

Tuesday

Swimming

Front Crawl, 1km.
Felt good to be back swimming.

Boxing

-30min treadmill, 2.5km. Jogged for 15mins (4min, 4min, 4min, 3min)
I cut the day short because my shoulder was killing me. I'm gonna see the doc tomorrow.

I went to the doctors today and was told that I had tendinitis in my shoulder. Damn. He gave me a shot in the arm and sent me the physical therapy room (I think that's where I was). They put hot compresses on my shoulder and put some ultra sound (I think, weird vibrating machine) on my shoulder for 20 minutes. After, I was told not to exercise for the rest of week and take some pills. I asked if I can go back to weightlifting/boxing/swimming next week after the pain goes away and the doc just started at me. I don't think he understood me so I tried to rephrase what I said. But he got fed up with me and showed me the door. Now, my Korean isn't that good and his only English is medical English. So the whole trip made for one frustrating visit.

I'm gonna assume I can go back to doing these activities once the pain goes away. Maybe next week or the week after... I don't know. I'm gonna play it by ear and look up some more info on tendinitis and recovery.

Saturday

Gym

Nothing special. Did whatever I could with out using my arm, as per doctor's order.

Leg Press, Leg Curl, Bodyweight squats, Hyperextentions, Staitionairy bike.

Went to the doctors to get a check up on my left shoulder. This time I had all my questions written down in Korean. That made everything so much easier.

To summarize:
This week, I have to do rehab at the clinic. Which consist of heat pads, and ultra-sound treatment. I'm allowed to jog, but no lifting, boxing or swimming.

Hopefully next week, I'll be allowed to swim, and lift light weights. If so, I plan on doing the Diesel Crew Shoulder Rehab Protocol . I might also be ok'd to go boxing (though using my right arm only) next week. We'll see what the doc says about that next check up.

I figure I'll still keep track of all exercises. What little I'm doing now. Since my diet is going to be even more important, I'm gonna include that as well for the next while. And in all honesty, I've been eating like shit this past week.

My supplements consist of a multi-vitamin, fish oil and ZMA.

Sunday

Cardio
5km, approx. 1 hour. Walking and jogging. First time going on the walk trail near my apartment to jog. I used to bike up and down it but it just gets to busy and frustrating.

Diet
I ate about 3500 calories of junk food.

Monday

Rehab
Heat pads, ultra sound treatment. approximately 40mins

Diet
2879 Calories, 184g fat, 230g carbs, 85g protein.

Breakfast
-Ham sandwich
-Mixed nuts, small packet

Snack
-TWIX Cookie Bars

Lunch
-Ramyeon

Snack
-Beef jerky

Dinner
-Egg salad sandwich
-Ham sandwich
-Potato chips

Tuesday
Busy at work, missed rehab.

Cardio
5km, approx. 50 minutes. I find doing cardio after dinner easier, in that. I can skip the pre-workout snack (needed to boost my insulin levels to safe level before exercising).

Diet
Better than Monday but still have a ways to go before getting it back to how I used to eat.
2523 calories, 116 fat, 199 carbs, 173 protein.

Breakfast
-Omelet (1 whole egg, three egg whites, 1/2 cup of onions, 1/2 cup of green, red, yellow peppers, 1/4 cup of mushrooms)
-1/2 tomato (sliced)
-2 slices of white bread

Snack
-Mixed nuts, small packet

Lunch
-Ham sandwich
-Beef jerky

Snack
- Dark Chocolate

Dinner
- 2 Beef steak patties
-1/2 tomato (sliced)
-4 slices of white bread

PWO Drink
-Optimum Nutrition (Egg Protein)
- 2 cups of Milk (lactose free)

*Things I need to change in my diet. Eat less bread (maybe swap it for tomatoes), Eat more vegetables, cook lunch instead of buying it from the convenience store, stop having junk food for snacks and start following John Berardi's seven habits again.

Wednesday

Rehab
Heat and ultrasound treatment on shoulder, 40 minutes.

Cardio
5km, 1 hour, Jogging/walking. I had to stop a couple of times as my right foot was cramping a lot.

Diet
2678 Calories, 88g fat, 249gg carbs, 235 protein.

Breakfast
-Omelet (1 whole egg, three egg whites, 1/2 cup of onions, 1/2 cup of green, red, yellow peppers, 1/4 cup of mushrooms)
-1/2 tomato (sliced)
-2 slices of bread (one white/brown)

Snack
-Baked Potato

Lunch
- 2 Chicken breasts spiced and filled with spinach
- 1 Sliced tomato
- 1 Can of asparagus (real asparagus is difficult to come across in Korea, not sure why.)

Snack
- Dark Chocolate

Dinner
-Meat dumplings
-Kimchi Jiggae (Stew made with kimchi, cabbage, red pepper, green onions, tofu, green peppers and slices of beef)
-3/4 Cup of rice

PWO Drink
- 1 cup of Milk (lactose free)

Thursday

Cardio
5km, 1 hour, Jogging/walking. I had to hobble the last few hundred meters because my right leg cramped up bad.

Diet
2588 Calories, 92g fat, 203g carbs, 248g protein.

Breakfast
-1/2 tomato (sliced)
-2 slices of wheat bread

Snack
-Baked Potato

Lunch
- 2 Chicken breasts spiced and filled with spinach
- 1 Sliced tomato

Snack
- Small packet of mixed nuts

Dinner
-2 Beef Steak sandwiches with tomatoes, green peppers and onions on wheat bread.

PWO Drink
- 1/4 cup of Milk (lactose free) ran out of milk.

Friday

Rehab
Heat pads, ultra sound treatment. approximately 40mins

Diet
2908 Calories, 130 g fat, 293g carbs, 143g protein.
(Midnight snacking)

Saturday

Gym
Stretching, bodyweight squats, leg press, mobility drills (never done these before, my legs were like rubber) and some cardio.

I talked to the doc and he said that I can do light swimming and stretching but I'm gonna have to wait maybe 2-3 more weeks before I can box or lift proper.

Sunday

Diet
3000+ Calories. I ate too much crap this weekend.

Cardio
5km, 1 hour, Jogging/walking.

Monday

Diet
2892 Calories, 139g fat, 309g carbs, 109g protein.

Shoulder Circuit (W/bands)
(10 reps)
Pull Aparts
Straight Arm Lifts
High Rotations
Crossovers
Ball on the Wall
Rows
Hitch Hicker
Wall Push Ups+

I combined two routines to make the shoulder circuit. Most stretches come from the Shoulder Injury Prevention article by USASwimming.org. I added a couple more exercises that from the Shoulder Injury Prevention II video found on Strengthmill's injury prevention and rehab page. I'm starting off using very light bands since weights are still out if the option.

Tuesday

Diet
2768 Calories, 104g fat, 229g carbs, 234 g protein.

Cardio
1km, 45 minutes. Swam front crawl. My arm felt OK for the most part during the swim. But I had to really watch my technique and took short breaks whenever it started to ache.

Wednesday

Diet
2668 Calories, 84 g fat, 255g carbs, 231g protein.

(10 reps)
Pull Aparts
Straight Arm Lifts
High Rotations
Crossovers
Ball on the Wall
Rows
Hitch Hiker
Wall Push Ups+

Cardio
4km, 40 minutes, Jogging/walking.

I've decided to include my fasting glucose levels as well. It's a real tight balance between what I eat (i.e., the carbs) and keeping proper glucose levels. Too much and I can go hyperglycemic, too little and it's hypoglycemia. Optimally I want to be around 95~100mg/dL. -90mg/dL and I start to feel the hypoglycemic symptoms; cold sweats, nausea, headaches and moodiness. +150~200mg/dL and I get headaches, blurry vision, tingling in my arms, and general malaise. Another problem I have is that when my glucose levels get really low, my mind goes into survival mode. that's usually when I gorge myself food thinking that I need to eat or else.

Morning : 91mg/dL
Evening: 87mg/dL I did my cardio around 10pm tonight and didn't eat anything beforehand.:(

nice clean layout makes it easy to follow

^^^^Thanks.

Thursday

Diet
3037 Calories, 102g fat, 244g carbs, 289g protein.
(Ate way too much bread)

Cardio
Swam 1km. Front crawl for 800m, Backstroke for 100m and Breaststroke for 100m

Friday
Last day of the semester. The students had a closing ceremony and I got off early. I still have two weeks of teaching summer classes before I get my summer vacation though.

Diet

2758 Calories, 121g fat, 318g carbs, 105g protein.

Cardio
Swam 1.6km, Front crawl. Shoulder started to ache near the end. Felt good, but damnit, It was a very frustrating swim. I got kicked in the head while swimming by one idiot and another hit me in the side of the face with a flutter board as she jumped in the pool. Once summer starts here the pool just gets too crowded (100+), even though it's just a lane pool. During these months I found that being an asshole works real well. Regardless, I'm gonna have to go real early in the mornings if I want a good swim.

Saturday

Diet
2788 Calories, 117g fat, 329g carbs, 114g protein.

Gym
My shoulder has been better so I wanted to see if it would hurt while squatting. It wasn't too bad.
Back Squat
barx10
barx10
60kgx5
60kgx5
60kgx5

Front Squat
60kgx2
60kgx0 At this point my hamstrings seized up and cramped.

I continued with some more stretching (stretched before the squats as well) and did some hyper extensions.

(10 reps)
Pull Aparts
Straight Arm Lifts
High Rotations
Crossovers
Ball on the Wall
Rows
Hitch Hicker
Wall Push Ups+

Monday

Diet
2638 Calories, 82g fat, 311g carbs, 171g protein.

Boxing
-30min treadmill, 2.5km. Benchmarks: 1km took 13min, 1mile took 18:54min.
-Stretching
-Punching bag, 100 times x 10 sets. Very light with my left arm.
-Stretching
-Abs circuit.

Tuesday

Diet
2616 Calories, 114g fat, 297g carbs, 105g protein.

Wednesday

Diet
2746 Calories, 87g fat, 318g carbs, 198g protein.

Boxing
-30min treadmill, 2.49km. Benchmarks: 1km took 11:16min, 1mile took 18:10min. I was able to jog ten minutes straight at the beginning. But started to gas after the 20min mark.
-Stretching
-Punching bag, 100 times x 10 sets. Very light with my left arm.
-Knee-ups(x30 per leg)x3
-Abs circuit.

(10 reps)
Pull Aparts
Straight Arm Lifts
High Rotations
Crossovers
Ball on the Wall
Rows
Hitch Hicker
Wall Push Ups+

I weighed in at the boxing gym today at 134kgs. Sweet.

Thursday

Diet
2562 Calories, 131g fat, 185g carbs, 163g protein.

Cardio
Swam 1.6km, Front crawl. Not bad today, The pool wasn't too crowded and I only had to share the lane with 10 other people. I did get hit once though.

Friday

Diet
2586 Calories, 103g fat, 286g carbs, 141g protein.

Saturday
Diet
3013 Calories, 166g fat, 283g carbs, 107g protein.
Bad meal selections today, no excuses.

Gym
I stretched my shoulders real well before the workout. It's still a little discomforting putting a lot of weight on my shoulder but I felt confident today.

Back Squat
Barx10
Barx10
60kgx5
60kgx5
60kgx5
80kgx5
80kgx5

Front Squat
Barx10
50kgx3
50kgx3
50kgx3
50kgx3
50kgx3

Stiff Legged Deadlifts
60kgx8
60kgx8
60kgx8 At this point my left shoulder started to hurt a lot.

Leg Curls
60kgx8x3

Hyperextensions
BWx10
BW +10kg x10
BW +20kg x10

Good Mornings
Barx10x2

Been busy this week trying to organize my vacation.

Sunday

Diet
3111 Calories, 124g fat, 336g carbs, 161g protein.

Monday

Diet
2615 Calories, 132g fat, 209g carbs, 146g protein.

Cardio
Swam 500m, The pool was full and was divided into 25m lanes. So I focused on sprints and practicing my technique. that was until left foot cramped up on me.
25m sprint x10
25m arms-only x5
25m legs-only x5

Tuesday

Diet
2958 Calories, 132g fat, 305g carbs, 145g protein.

Wednesday

Diet
2952 Calories, 122 g fat, 305g carbs, 150g protein.

(10 reps)
Pull Aparts
Straight Arm Lifts
High Rotations
Crossovers
Ball on the Wall
Rows
Hitch Hicker
Wall Push Ups+

Thursday

Diet
3196 Calories, 160g fat, 343g carbs, 98g protein.

Boxing
-30min treadmill, 2.54km. Benchmarks: 1km took 11:03min, 1mile took 17:30min. Was able to jog for ten straight minutes.
-Stretching
-Punching bag, 100 times x 7 sets. Shoulder started to hurt by the seventh set.
-Abs circuit.

(10 reps)
Pull Aparts
Straight Arm Lifts
High Rotations
Crossovers
Ball on the Wall
Rows
Hitch Hicker
Wall Push Ups+

I've been meaning to post about my new gloves but keep forgetting. About a month ago I order some boxing gloves online from Canada. I ordered from Boxing gloves , Shoes, Headgear @ Rival Boxing and within a week they arrived at my family's house in Canada (then resent over here).

I ordered a pair of XL 14oz. bag gloves, a pair of regular and Mexican handwraps. I didn't know what Mexican wraps were so I ordered them just to see. Turns out they're not that different from regular wraps just more stretchy.

gloves.jpg

gloves3.jpg

I haven't really been at the boxing gym these past few weeks. But when I did go, I used them. I found the gloves to be way better than the raggedy old Everlast gloves I borrowed off a friend. They have a better feel to them and good padding (that hasn't been flattened out by overuse). The support seems good too.

everlast.jpg

The gloves were kind of expensive (80$ Canadian) but worth it. It costs a lot to send anything over here to Korea, so no point in buying a pair of 30$ gloves when you have to spend 200$ to send a package.

Saturday

Gym

Back Squat
Barx10
Barx10
60kgx5
60kgx5
80kgx5
80kgx5

Front Squat
60kgx3
60kgx2

Hyperextension
BW +20kg x10x3

Abs; sit ups, leg raises, side bends

Shortened workout session as I only had a few hours before I boarded the plane to Thailand. Right now I'm chilling on the island of Ko Samui and probably won't do to much for the next three weeks of my vacation (maybe some walking and swimming). We'll see how it goes.

Back