Guess I don't need weight training...

ForeverFiending

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have been getting ready for competition and losing weight. Since I don't have a lot of time right now, I figured I'de lay off the weights, just do cardio, some strength exercises, and train when I can. I've lost about 10 lbs. already but in the back of my mind I keep thinking, "Oh, man... I'm going to be puny at my new weight!" I'm a very hard hitter, so I'm also worried about losing power. I was even looking at myself in the mirror thinking that my arms were looking puny :(

Anywho! I went to the gym this morning to do my old weight routine and to my incredible suprise I am STRONGER!!!! :icon_chee:D:icon_chee:DI can do more reps and had to add weight to some! A couple were maintained, but still!

So why is this? Well... I have made a home strength routine (see my log thing). The newest thing I'm doing is pull ups. I got a pull up bar for my bedroom doorway and at first I couldn't do hardly anything with it and even now I can't do much, but it uses a LOT of muscle groups. My diet has been very clean for about a month now, so maybe that has something to do with it. My training has been mostly techinique, not as intense as it used to be, so I don't know about that. I've been doing a lot of cardio.

I'm happy with this... even though I don't understand it.. but I believe it proves what I used to claim about weight training not being necissary for fight conditioning.. just thought I'de share.

I have been getting ready for competition and losing weight. Since I don't have a lot of time right now, I figured I'de lay off the weights, just do cardio, some strength exercises, and train when I can. I've lost about 10 lbs. already but in the back of my mind I keep thinking, "Oh, man... I'm going to be puny at my new weight!" I'm a very hard hitter, so I'm also worried about losing power. I was even looking at myself in the mirror thinking that my arms were looking puny :(

Anywho! I went to the gym this morning to do my old weight routine and to my incredible suprise I am STRONGER!!!! :icon_chee:D:icon_chee:DI can do more reps and had to add weight to some! A couple were maintained, but still!

So why is this? Well... I have made a home strength routine (see my log thing). The newest thing I'm doing is pull ups. I got a pull up bar for my bedroom doorway and at first I couldn't do hardly anything with it and even now I can't do much, but it uses a LOT of muscle groups. My diet has been very clean for about a month now, so maybe that has something to do with it. My training has been mostly techinique, not as intense as it used to be, so I don't know about that. I've been doing a lot of cardio.

I'm happy with this... even though I don't understand it.. but I believe it proves what I used to claim about weight training not being necissary for fight conditioning.. just thought I'de share.

Perhaps you had a crappy strength training routine.

Perhaps you had such low levels of GPP (general physicall prepardness) that it was holding you back in the gym.

Propably a combination but since you wasnt already doing pullups then my vote goes to alternative 1. A conditioning based routine will -not- build the same kind of strength that a low repetition barbell program based on squats, deadlifts, military presses, bench, pullups and the like... A well rounded routine should incorporate both aspects in my opinion...

You probably werent very strong to begin with.

Perhaps you had a crappy strength training routine.

Perhaps you had such low levels of GPP (general physicall prepardness) that it was holding you back in the gym.

Propably a combination but since you wasnt already doing pullups then my vote goes to alternative 1. A conditioning based routine will -not- build the same kind of strength that a low repetition barbell program based on squats, deadlifts, military presses, bench, pullups and the like... A well rounded routine should incorporate both aspects in my opinion...

It's possible my weight routine is not the best because I don't emphasize it much. I only use it to supplement my training.

I looked up GPP because I never heard of it before, I don't see what you mean. I've been in good overall physical condition for quite some time.

I'm a woman, so me not doing pull ups prior is kind of normal. Especially since I only know a small handful of women who are able to do them.

If you drop the weights, u wont get stronger...
I did drop the weights and I still got stronger. I don't plan on discontinuing them, I just spend more time on other things like training and cardio until this Summer when I have time to do a full and proper conditioning routine. But I DO use weights to monitor my strength because I can see by adding or subtracting weight and/or reps if I am improving or not.

i'd venture to guess that u prolly didnt do deadlifts or military presses...or even know what they are ...even high volume calisthenics will not build much strength after initial adaptation period...it will help with conditioning and gpp...but not beyond that....

good job with pull ups but u may want to get a barbell set to improve in strength, power, etc...power/strength in your kicks and punches is derived from your hips, back, glutes, core, etc....your biceps/arms have very little to do with your punches/kicks...

good job with pull ups...it's no easy task for most females..

You probably werent very strong to begin with.

No, I'm really quite strong for a woman. I've got nice guns, strong abs, pretty solid and defined... I'm not puny at all.

Not that it matters how strong I was to begin with because now I'm even stronger. :icon_chee

Devilson~
Never done deadlifts, I have concerns about hurting the knees and my ass and thighs are already monsterous. Yes on the military presses, but haven't done them in a long time. I do push ups which have also improved and a chest press.

My core is pretty much my best asset. My abs are great and I'm still working on those because they need to be as strong as possible to take hits, and my lower back is already extremely strong. So much so that I have a hard time getting a burn. I use the weight machine for lower back 2 sets of 15 at 85 lbs. My back and sides are well defined... I really think that bag work has made the most improvement for my upper body core strength.

If I hadn't bought the pull up bar for my room I'de probably never be able to do them... takes a lot of practice.

Devilson~
Never done deadlifts, I have concerns about hurting the knees and my ass and thighs are already monsterous. Yes on the military presses, but haven't done them in a long time. I do push ups which have also improved and a chest press.

My core is pretty much my best asset. My abs are great and I'm still working on those because they need to be as strong as possible to take hits, and my lower back is already extremely strong. So much so that I have a hard time getting a burn. I use the weight machine for lower back 2 sets of 15 at 85 lbs. My back and sides are well defined... I really think that bag work has made the most improvement for my upper body core strength.

If I hadn't bought the pull up bar for my room I'de probably never be able to do them... takes a lot of practice.

Eh - you don't really know much about strength training (if you don't do some kinda of squats, you probably don't have as strong of a core as you think you do; weight training will not make you bulky - especially as a women). It's ok most people don't really understand strength training.

Read the FAQ in S&P

also check this out - it helps dismiss many myths women have about strength training - http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/index.php

This may also be helpful - http://www.musclewithattitude.com/article/bodybuilding/3_fat_loss_steps&cr=

you have ot fgure that as you stop doing your most important exercizes regularily you'll get strogner in them by way of having rested muscles. however, i don't think you can realistically expect for to maintain or gain strengthover any long period without lifting those lifts.

I do squats, jump squats, bunny hops and all that other fun stuff, just not weighted.

Maybe the 3-4 week rest was good. I'll keep you posted :)

Back