Guard passing against fast, flexible, and slippery guys?

So the way I do it is this:

1. Get to double unders. You really need his hips pretty far off the ground, in a high stack.

2. Feed the lower part of one of his lapels to your cross side hand. Doesn't matter which direction. The guard player can prevent you from getting the high collar grip but can't really stop you from getting a lower lapel grip.

3. Move the knee of the non-lapel gripping side to the middle. Your knee should not be touching his butt, you should still be hipping in from a low squat with good posture, but you want to start moving your body to the lapel grip side.

4. Your non-lapel gripping hand should move from wrapping around his leg to grabbing his belt or the lip of his pants to keep his hips in the air during your transition.

5. Once you're in position, you basically dive to the lapel gripping side and the knee of your non lapel gripping side comes up behind his legs in the leg drag position. He will still be facing up, you'll be basically on your side though pushing into him. Now release the hand that's grabbing his pants/belt and reach around his leg on your lapel gripping side, and feed the lapel to your other hand (the hand that was holding his belt). This should be his cross side lapel. Your other hand now grabs his belt as low as possible.

6. You should now be in a tight leg drag position, albeit on your side. Work your way to your knees gradually pushing your opponent onto his side. If you maintain the leg drag position the orientation is less important. Just don't let your leg drag control falter.

Very cool! I can't wait to try this.

My training partner uses double de la riva hooks so he's quite flexible. When passing his guard I try to get immediately to north south and then go back to side control.

...I am sorry to give such a non-technical and "ugly" answer, but in the real world you will often need to use your strength and weight for a long time in order to break down a skilled lighter opponent before you can succeed at a pass...

It saddens when using pressure is seen as being nontechnical. Every top level BJJ athlete uses pressure, whether they use it to pass or just to set up the pass. Without pressure, you cannot pass a good guard.

That's just one of possible scenarios but imo Andre's approach to sacrifice immediate pressure for better distance/space control is a very smart strategy.

You don't have to be the bigger or stronger guy to use grinding pressure as a major part of your passing strategy, gravity is on your side. Watch Rodolfo in the absolute.

I could have very well written this on Saturday... same exact thing happened to me in no-gi on Friday night against a smaller, faster, slippery guy- new at the gym and slightly more experienced but not dramatically so. I had a lot of trouble getting past his legs- one thing that did work once or twice was what Rod1 said and sort of "bypassed" the near side SC and went straight for the N/S. Going to look into those leg drags too.

Going to look into some leg drags as well.

I find that underhook passes work pretty well against fast spinny guys.

Great advice Zankou, that's what i usually do with guys who keep inverting. I just hold them inverted and put pressure while not attempting to pass and wear them down

Nice. I need to do this more. I think I get sucked into playing a fast and loose game when I really should be slowing things down and wearing them out.

Good discussion. Thanks guys. I like using pressure to pass. I like doing it. Sometimes my coach wants me to go faster but I like to grind people out.

I have a belt test coming up. Where my coach puts me against small slippery guys, guys who I hate rolling against. I don't even mind going against big strong guys. It's the small fast slippery flexible guys that always give me trouble. So he is going to get one of those types of guys to roll against me on Friday, after he has tired me out. I am kind of dreading it but it's how he wants it. I don't know how I feel about it. Well anyway, I'll do what I have to do. I'll use my weight and strength to try and wear the little fuckers out.

Back