Guard passing against a tall lanky opponent.

Yeska805

White Belt
Reaction score
I lost my first tournament This last weekend From watching the video I can say for sure I lost because I lost my concentration and panicked, and I couldn't pass his guard to save my life. My panicked state made me forget about the little things that make a pass possible. He swept me twice by grabbing*Both my ankles and driving his hips forward. He didn't get points because i scrambled and we both stood back up.

*Now my question.*

I'm 5'8 and my opponent was around 6'2, 6'3
I had a little bit of trouble breaking his guard with a simple but effective as I've been told standing guard pass.*
Except this time he managed to sweep me while I stood up. Maybe I wasnt as postured as i should of been and I didn't lift his back off the mat like I should of been. How can I stop this this from
Happening next time around, And
How do I set up my
Guard break and pass against long legged opponents without being swept
*by this stupid sweep!!*
How do you shorter guys pass
Guard against those tall lanky long limbed people!!??

Any and all help is appreciated

I'm a tall, lanky guy. One pass that really works on me, is the ol' knee in the butt and arching your back. Then once my guard is open, press my legs down together with your upper body while hugging them together. Then circle around to side control.

The way I work my standing pass is I first geta 2-on-1 grip on the person's sleeve or arm. Then I first step up with that same foot. When I step up with my other leg, I make sure that its based further back from that first foot.

If he still manages to grab your back ankle, kick your foot forward and out to break the grip.

Grab his lapels and push your hips forward, then kick out your ankles to defend agains this, you can also defend by stepping your second leg back so he is unable it grab it, it also makes it easier to break the guard this way to. from there i would grab the pants on the inside of his legs keeping your elbows tight to your body and in the inside of his legs to avoid threats such as spider guard, triangles, omo paltas ect.. from here there are a lot of ways to pass good luck

Last edited:
go to trumpetdan's youtube page.

basically, you should have sleeve control on one of his sleeves with one hand before standing.

Knee slide works better. Long limbs don't matter unless you move away from him. Stay close and it wont matter how long his legs are.

Yeah, definitely use the knee through to break guard.

I have long legs and when I get my guard passed by a smaller guy it's usually either with a knee-slide pass or that quick step-around my open guard to knee-on-belly. Quick being the key word there.

against tall lanky guys, I like to use either the knee slide or double unders pass.

I'm a tall, lanky guy. One pass that really works on me, is the ol' knee in the butt and arching your back. Then once my guard is open, press my legs down together with your upper body while hugging them together. Then circle around to side control.

I'm a tall lanky guy too. That pass never works on me...

To the TS: Control a sleeve before you stand or you'll get swept.

If you cannot get a sleeve, then step with one foot, put both hands on his hips pushing down as hard as you can to keep them pinned to the mat, and shoot your butt up and back. Your back foot should stay back out of his reach (actually, if you did it right, the back foot won't even move from where it was when you were in guard -- you'll just be standing on it instead of sitting on it). It's kind of hard to describe.

against tall lanky guys, I like to use either the knee slide or double unders pass.

Double unders rarely work on good guard players.

Knee slice is one of those passes that works well against basically anyone, regardless of size.

Yeah, definitely use the knee through to break guard.

I have long legs and when I get my guard passed by a smaller guy it's usually either with a knee-slide pass or that quick step-around my open guard to knee-on-belly. Quick being the key word there.

I'm with this guy ... Those knee slide passes are fucking annoying. Came to a point where me and my instructor just drilled prevention for about a hr. That bullfighter guard pass is also a great move, especially if you can grab the gi pants and pin. Another thing is a lot of lanky guys count on their length when people attempt dynamic passes. One guy I kno always gets past this by going low into a double leg pinning the knees together, from there he just clears the legs by switching his base (hips) and walking . Gotta be quick about it though cuz the lack of control of the hips can sometimes hurt you.

Knee slice is one of those passes that works well against basically anyone, regardless of size.

That's why it's my go-to pass that I use on everyone

That's why it's my go-to pass that I use on everyone

I like to work the knee slice and then the x pass if they are bent on defending the knee slice. Also love jumping on brabo chokes if I am getting too much resistance.

The best thing about it is, it can be initiated from almost any guard.

Argh, thinking about guard passing gets me going. It's my new goal to be able to destroy guard like Jacare, Terere and Leo Viera.

I like to work the knee slice and then the x pass if they are bent on defending the knee slice. Also love jumping on brabo chokes if I am getting too much resistance.

The best thing about it is, it can be initiated from almost any guard.

Argh, thinking about guard passing gets me going. It's my new goal to be able to destroy guard like Jacare, Terere and Leo Viera.

Yeah the knee slice and the x-pass flow together real nicely. Especially if he defends the knee slice by going to DLR guard. If you can quickly pass his leg to the other side it's a done deal.

It depends how he defends though. You can also transition to the leg lasso pass or the one-underhook stack pass off the knee slice. Or a lot of times you can force half guard and then use whatever half guard pass you like.

Yeah the knee slice and the x-pass flow together real nicely. Especially if he defends the knee slice by going to DLR guard. If you can quickly pass his leg to the other side it's a done deal.

It depends how he defends though. You can also transition to the leg lasso pass or the one-underhook stack pass off the knee slice. Or a lot of times you can force half guard and then use whatever half guard pass you like.

Yea. This is why the knee slice is the starting point of almost all of my guard passes.

None of you find that the knee slice is easily countered by the guy using the knee-shield on you...a la "z-guard"? Talking no gi, here. Perhaps this is overcome with proper grips in gi. I have some success with using my elbow tight to my side to block it, but the guy can even wedge a knee over your elbow, then you get pushed too far out to the side...he turtles....oh nOOOooo...you lost your pass.

Well, that's why I also learned the knee slice pass. I like double unders better, but knee slice is, indeed, a more technically sound pass.

None of you find that the knee slice is easily countered by the guy using the knee-shield on you...a la "z-guard"? Talking no gi, here. Perhaps this is overcome with proper grips in gi. I have some success with using my elbow tight to my side to block it, but the guy can even wedge a knee over your elbow, then you get pushed too far out to the side...he turtles....oh nOOOooo...you lost your pass.

Yes in gi you are gripping his lapels and using your arm to block him from getting that knee shield.

In no-gi when I do the knee slice I have to get an underhook on his far arm as I'm passing, and I have to do the pass much more quickly. It's not slow and methodical like in the gi, it's push the leg down and go. If he tries to work that knee shield in, I just "baseball slide" harder over it, even to the point where I'm belly-up, and then I turn back into side control. And my underhook stops him from turtling.

Be careful not to reach for that underhook before you start passing over his leg though, or he can armbar/triangle you. It's like push leg down, slide knee over, underhook, slide your leg all the way through, then turn back into side mount.

Last edited:

i suck at this terminology. my bjj instructor speaks a mixture of portuguese, english and slovene and he doesn't name any passes. they're all called "pass de gua".

when you guys say the knee slice pass, you mean left knee up, slide it over their left thigh, right leg steps over, keeping the left underhook and passing to the right?

what's it called when you go the other way, but with the same knee? left knee up, slides over their right thigh, getting the right underhook and stepping out with the right leg, passing to the left? because i love this pass.

Yes in gi you are gripping his lapels and using your arm to block him from getting that knee shield.

In no-gi when I do the knee slice I have to get an underhook on his far arm as I'm passing, and I have to do the pass much more quickly. It's not slow and methodical like in the gi, it's push the leg down and go. If he tries to work that knee shield in, I just "baseball slide" harder over it, even to the point where I'm belly-up, and then I turn back into side control. And my underhook stops him from turtling.

Be careful not to reach for that underhook before you start passing over his leg though, or he can armbar/triangle you. It's like push leg down, slide knee over, underhook, slide your leg all the way through, then turn back into side mount.

thanks for tips

Back