Guard pass technique

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by fighting.spirit, Oct 19, 2010.

1. fighting.spirit

fighting.spirit Yellow Belt

I apologize. The title should read "Guard opening technique". I don't know how to change the title.

Being a white belt, I've been slaughtered numerously by higher blue belts and anything above, when I sit in their guards. Although I try my best to get the damn thing open, it's just trap after trap and I've been caught too many times to count. I understand many of the guard opening techniques and I do occasionally get them, but as the saying goes, practice makes perfect.

Anyway, I've been doing a really sloppy move lately, that works. Basically, once I'm sitting in the closed guard, I'll raise my right leg, plant my foot and throw it over to the other side, completely flipping the person in front of me and giving him my back for about two seconds. I also sometimes stand before I throw my foot around. It kinda looks like Bret Hart's "sharpshooter", heh, if you guys can remember that move.

What do you guys think?

Two things to take into account:

1. The guard usually opens up as soon as I turn, but even if it didn't and the legs somehow remained closed, I would never consider sitting back. Yes, I have seen the youtube video of the one guy getting his back broken and it freaks me out.

2. It seems to be a nice setup for foot locks, cause when then the legs open the feet stick right up, so I'm usually able to rap my arm around the foot, fall to my side and go for a achilles lock. Especially during no-gi sessions.

Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  2. HateCake

HateCake Blue Belt

You're allowed foot locks/ straight ankle locks as a white belt?

3. fighting.spirit

fighting.spirit Yellow Belt

Not in competition, or against fellow white/ blue belts.

4. El Beebo

El Beebo Blue Belt

It seems a little unorthodox to me to try that with a standing closed guard, but if it's working for you now, you might as well keeping doing it (while being careful with your training partners, of course). I've used a similar standing pass when the guard is open (which winds up with you getting to side control, but you don't turn your back on your opponent).

I would probably open my closed guard before your leg crossed all the way over (actually, I usually open my guard and go to sit up or DLR before my opponent is fully standing)--like you said, you're going to get your back taken eventually doing this, but I don't think there's any wrong with learning while you try new things.

Sometimes trying different techniques is okay because you learn why they don't work (and conversely, what does work).

5. HateCake

HateCake Blue Belt

If you're a fan of foot locks then you should try practicing the Sauer pass (Bully pass). It's a great way to isolate a leg for the foot lock.

6. El Beebo

El Beebo Blue Belt

7. Wrestleben

Wrestleben Brown Belt

Just keep practicing normal passes. If you could consistently break and pass guard of more experienced people, you would probably be at the wrong school. Practice, practice, practice.

8. HardEight

HardEight Blue Belt

You're begging to be heelhooked.

9. ShanghaiBJJ

ShanghaiBJJ Brown Belt

This kind of pass/ leglock (boston crab) should only work if your opponent has zero grips on you, so it isn't something to invest too much time in really.

Even if he doesn't have grips, he still has a chance to block your leg coming over, then you are basically sweeping yourself.

10. Freezing Winds**

Freezing Winds** Green Belt

do not take shortcuts

learn how to break open the guard properly

BJJ takes a long time to even get a level above atrocious

:)