Guard Fundamentals

OldTimey

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I've been using half guard and butterfly guard a lot lately. I've noticed that I roll a lot better when I don't try to have a gameplan and just let myself do what comes naturally. I'm not sure if it's the product of practicing these two specific guards, or if it's because I'm getting decent at fundamentals. I've been training for almost 4 years.

In your opinion, is focusing on guard fundamentals better than focusing on specific guards? I'm starting to feel like guards are just a tool, and the real skill comes from the understanding of leverage, body positioning, timing, etc.

If this is true, what are the general fundamentals of the basic guards (closed, butterfly, half, spider (seems to be a bit removed))? I feel like a start would be Underhooks, Hip Movement, Not Going Flat, and Timing.

Thanks

As a bjj white belt I'd like to hear what people have to say about guard fundamentals.

You should get the BJJ guard fundementals app by Stephan Kesting and Rob Bernacki. It's all about understanding guard fundementals and concepts and doesn't focus on any one guard.

You should get the BJJ guard fundementals app by Stephan Kesting and Rob Bernacki. It's all about understanding guard fundementals and concepts and doesn't focus on any one guard.

im trying to find this app based on your response but can't find it. are you sure that's the exact name?

My guards really sucked until i figured out your guard has to attack their grips, posture and base. The more of those you control the better.

And to use a guard on a good guy you need to off-balance him or threaten him.

I would focus on the particular details of the guards you are playing rather than vaguely defined fundamentals.
You can't work on say timing as an abstract concept in isolation from a given position.

Last edited:
Some things I try to teach my own kids that seem to help:

1. In order to have a guard you need a frame to manage distance and a suitable control (grips/hooks) to stop them from simply pushing your frame out of the way or moving around it.
2. You have to prioritise these (with the frame being the most important) and must not accept them being taken away. Once you lose them, you no longer have a guard and you're into regaining it ASAP.
3. After that, breaking their posture helps massively with the other 2 rules and with sweeps and subs.

Focusing on these "rules" for open guards seems to help because it gives a framework in which to operate when you don't already have a decent game for a given guard. Someone starts pushing your framing leg out of the way, you know you need to either resist or swap it for another frame immediately. If you are about to lose your controlling grip start looking for another control and if that control isn't going to work as well then you think about moving to a new frame that control WILL work with.

Back