Guard Escape Basics

I've actually been digging my elbows into the persons thighs too, thinking it will irritate them enough to break, now i feel like an idiot. I never thought about the hips.:redface:

After about 6 months of BJJ I got used to the the digging and just find it a little annoying instead of actually hurting.

My favourite guard break (i don't know the name, just going to give a terrible description of it):

You sneak one knee between their buttocks and you push your other knee out so your leg is at a perpendicular angle, and you lock down your arms across each leg and you pressure down and it breaks apart magically.

Here are some good instructions on opening the guard from guys far more advanced and much more instructive than anything anyone on here can describe in words.

Saulo. As he says, "you don't want to hurt your partner." The only reason you need to dig your elbows in is if your technique is off... or you're a d-bag.

Terere with a similar discussion.

Last edited:
Saulo. As he says, "you don't want to hurt your partner." The only reason you need to dig your elbows in is if your technique is off... or you're a d-bag.

Damn Saulo is the man. I wish I lived in Cali so I could learn from him.

I never thought of attacking the breathing or pressure points. I was just trying to follow the technique I was thought. Next time I will try this...

learning to break the guard by attacking his "breathing and pressure points" is a complete dead end.

Standing to pass is the way to go...check some books/youtube of standing passes.

That Saulo video explains it very well. It's all about having a 'base' and not hurting your partner. It's all about technique. I like his tip about not pushing the leg by the knee. Wow, how come my teacher does not teach this? I wonder why?

Fedorzilla, both videos are so helpful...In both videos, the both stand to get out of the guard. I am going to try this tonight at training

Fedorzilla, both videos are so helpful...In both videos, the both stand to get out of the guard. I am going to try this tonight at training

Be careful of your foot placement on standing passes, as you can get swept easily if they can get both feet.

That Saulo video explains it very well. It's all about having a 'base' and not hurting your partner. It's all about technique. I like his tip about not pushing the leg by the knee. Wow, how come my teacher does not teach this? I wonder why?

I wouldn't be so quick to judge your instructor on this detail. Having taught classes before, sometimes you just omit a detail. I'm sure he knows it, maybe he was just focusing on another aspect of the pass when he was teaching it. Or maybe he did mention it and you just forgot it or didn't make a note of it, which often happens when you are learning something new and don't know what to look for.

learning to break the guard by attacking his "breathing and pressure points" is a complete dead end.

it's not saying i'm going to focus on breathing and pressure points to break the guard. if your keeping the hip down it's better to keep it down on that pressure point and if your exploding out with hand on the belt it's better to hit the solar plex. it's not a dead end at all.

your very wrong

Here are some good instructions on opening the guard from guys far more advanced and much more instructive than anything anyone on here can describe in words.

Terere with a similar discussion.

when people have tried that guard pass on me while they grab the lapel and keep their arm down u can trap the arm and scissor sweep them when they stand. most people i know won't stand for this reason.

Last night I tried luring my partner to break the guard by: sacrificing my head and arm for a triangle. As soon as I felt his legs were open for the triangle, I underhooked his leg with my free arm and pushed it over my head to side control. It worked 2 times with 2 different people(both blue belts). But I guess with someone experienced, I would defititely hesitate to sacrifice my head and arm for a guard pass.

Last night I tried luring my partner to break the guard by: sacrificing my head and arm for a triangle. As soon as I felt his legs were open for the triangle, I underhooked his leg with my free arm and pushed it over my head to side control. It worked 2 times with 2 different people(both blue belts). But I guess with someone experienced, I would defititely hesitate to sacrifice my head and arm for a guard pass.

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend offering up a submission to get someone to open their guard.

Hey All,

I'm shiny brand new to BJJ. Been at it for 2 weeks now and love it. One technique that's giving me a lot of problems is 'breaking the guard'. When we are drilling, I do the basic movements and my partner breaks. But when sparing, I haven't been able to break anyone's guard. I don't know if I get to tired while trying to muscle my way out or just bad technique. The technique I learned is one knee behind the butt and make an L shape with the other knee. The elbows are pressing into the insides of my partners knees and I arch my back out. When I do this during sparing, it never breaks.

Few things (probably mentioned already)

1. If your opponents are keeping a closed guard they are newbs! Especially in a class situation. A closed guard is an inactive guard. You can not sweep or submit with a closed guard (with the exception of a few lame gi chokes) so roll with higher belts they will tend to open their guard more!!

2. Trying to pass the way u are is begging to get triangled (by anyone with any skill) they will simply push one arm thru ur legs and your done!

3. You can do a variation of that pass by pushing his hips away, (rather than trying to dig into his thighs and cause pain), arching your back, turning sideways and stretching him out until his legs open. The pass you are descibing is day 1 stuff and very amatuer IMO.

4. Try a standing pass as well. One hand on his chest the other on his hip. The side of the hand that is on his chest steps up first, then the other leg, posture up, push one of his knees down to open and pass.

1. If your opponents are keeping a closed guard they are newbs! Especially in a class situation. A closed guard is an inactive guard. You can not sweep or submit with a closed guard (with the exception of a few lame gi chokes) so roll with higher belts they will tend to open their guard more!!

I can't say I agree with this at all. I'm a purple belt and I use the closed guard, not exclusively, but I use it. Obviously I have to open my legs to go for a triangle or armbar, but I still consider that attacking. And yes you can have an offensive closed guard.

Few things (probably mentioned already)

lol

I really agree with this. From my 2 weeks training, when I am in another white belt's guard, he's just grabbing the my gi or arm, and squeezing his guard tighter... nothing else...

Armbar->omoplata, collarchoke->triangle, kimura->bump sweep (->hip bump triangle)

There are tons of ways to stay active in a closed guard. Granted, not with your hips flat on the ground...

I like to break the guard using the chair break thing where you stand up put your knees under their but and just sit down. They can either open their guard or feel a shit ton of discomfert.

Back