GTFIH if you had or have tons of debt

300k in debt and not from mortgage? What the hell from? I hope it's at least some kind of investment with a decent return on it.

300k in debt and not from mortgage? What the hell from? I hope it's at least some kind of investment with a decent return on it.
Student loans. And I'm not in medicine so yeah sucks.

how do you have that much debt without a mortgage? I have a mortgage and very high sstudent loan.. no real credit card debt.

Last edited:
Student loans. And I'm not in medicine so yeah sucks.
Damn, that's a giant student debt. Probably should have weighed that out to see if it was even worth it having to pay half an average salary in loans for almost a decade before even catching up. I think if I wasn't on scholarship I probably would have done a community college for 2 years and then transferred to cut down on the expense.

They need to teach finance in high school I think. Before you go through a major, you should do a calculation of your average earnings with a degree and how much it will cost to get your degree. It shouldn't have made sense to do what you did.

Only option is to fake your own death and then buy a new identity. Yes, I'm serious.

And where the fuck did you go to college?

For starters, mortgage doesn't count. How has your debt impacted your life?

Nearly 300K of debt at ~8%. I feel like I'm in autopilot trying to clear it off. I'm not sure how I'm suppose to do normal things like take holidays, date, or start a family in my current situation. I could increase the term and that would give me some spending money but then I'd be eating even more in interest. The future feels bleak.

How did your debt impact your life? Are you happy with the way you approached paying it off?

Edit:
For those asking the source of my debt the answer is student loans. Don't want to get into the details but obviously I regret taking on so much.
I haven't even started paying on my student loans yet.

For starters, mortgage doesn't count. How has your debt impacted your life?

Nearly 300K of debt at ~8%. I feel like I'm in autopilot trying to clear it off. I'm not sure how I'm suppose to do normal things like take holidays, date, or start a family in my current situation. I could increase the term and that would give me some spending money but then I'd be eating even more in interest. The future feels bleak.

How did your debt impact your life? Are you happy with the way you approached paying it off?

Edit:
For those asking the source of my debt the answer is student loans. Don't want to get into the details but obviously I regret taking on so much.

$300k of student loan debt? Is that the original amount or the current? What was the original amount?

Hey, I got-- oh sorry I thought the title said "tons of bizzos."

Had a coworker who graduated from a prestigious University with a philosophy degree and was swimming in debt. So philosophy?
does your friend realize a philosophy degree by itself doesnt do shit? You've gotta use it to get into law school or do postgrad and teach the next generation of "philosophy majors".

I have none aside from my mortgage as ive never had a credit card but i have a friend thats even worse than you. He went through law school but was unable to pass the bar so now he works at starbucks with about $500k in debt. Its insane.

Bankruptcy dude.

Fuck that.

Except I dont think you can include Govt loans in Bankruptcy.

Damn.

I’ve got student loans, like 17k originally. Almost paid off. My payments were just under 200 a month. I cannot imagine what the monthly payment is on 300k.

Back