GSP's no ko's, lack of power? Or accuracy??

Poor standup technique coupled with average power and fear of getting serra'd again.

Yes, UFC champions and GOATs need to pad their stats.. :icon_lol:

He has the accuaracy and the power. But he isn't the type of fighter to bullrush a downed opponent to finish them. Because we saw him finish fighters early in his career when he wasn't half the fighter he is now.

No power, no killer instinct, and its hard to come by ko's when you are humping a man for 25 minutes.

Harder to finish a guy that's in survival mode. It's the shot that you don't see coming that KO's you most of the time. These guys are all professional fighters. If all they have to do is survive then then will. If his opponents would take more chances I think he would finish more. Although if your opponent doesn't give you any openings then maybe he should try and create them. I think unless someone really pushes GSP or threatens him he is content to just lay a beat down. What's worse getting your ass beat over and over for 25 mins or a quick 2min KO?

He trains boxing fundementals. MMA fans are used to seeing strikers who focus on utilizing light MMA gloves to do fast damage in short fights. GSP has no incentive to do that just as he has no incentive to give up positions on the ground going for a finish. If the guy he fights is willing and able to get beaten up for 5 rounds good for them.

Right. GSP would rather be the record holder for stuff like that instead of having most subs, KO/TKOs, etc.

:rolleyes:

Additionally, GSP is so much better than every other top fighter that he can accept the risk that added time in the Octagon creates. I mean, GSP has never been TKOed or caught in a sub before right? :rolleyes:

GSP is smart enough to know that for every second he is in there, there is the chance that he could get knocked out. He is just very tedious and cautious which leads to decisions. Anyone that thinks he is trying to maximize his time in fights has no concept of MMA.

my 2 cents are GSP fought the best fighters at their prime.

Condit (who has beaten the best of the 170 lbs), Shields (strikeforce 185 champ who defended his belt vs Hendo), Koscheck, Hardy, Thiago Alves (mean mother_f@<*#r before he got beat) Penn (was a GOAT at that time), fitch and the list goes on!

Aside from hardy (which he could have snapped his arm), i have'nt seen any of these fighters got knocked out and they were beaten badly by GSP.

These are tough fighters!

Exactly, is this a loss of tenacity, or a desire to drag the fight out longer, to either

A) continue to punish the other fighter longer
B) drag the fight out longer to pad records?

or C) not take unnecessary risks that could cost him the fight.

I don't think GSP's as nice and polite as he presents himself (I don't think he's an ass either), but I doubt he's a sadist.

Parity in the WW division is the most important factor explaining GSPs recent lack of finishes.

There are others, but Parity is on the top of the list.

GSP just really doesn't have any finishing moves. He doesn't really have great power standing, doesn't have brutal ground and pound, and doesn't have submissions.

His style emphasizes movement and effectiveness. It's the rare fighter who KO's guys without cranking up.

See Anderson the Great.

GSP doesn't have one punch KO power and he has become too cautious to attack when he sees guys in trouble. As a GSP fan, I still admit he's probably the safest fighter in the UFC. It's definitely frustrating to watch at times.

Once he 50-43s Diaz (Yes, that badly), he will have the most decision wins in UFC history. That's pretty pathetic for a guy as talented and dominant as GSP.

Jones and Silva are dominant AND finish. Why can't Georges?

Last edited:
he fights smart does not take excessive risks. GSP is excellent fighter but he does not have KO power or decides not to use it. Moreover he is not a finisher like AS or Jones.

Neither. It's called having options. GSP has both the accuracy and power to KO anyone with the right shot, but he doesn't depend on his striking the way someone who is known for their knockout power would. GSP can be completely tooling someone on the feet and still go for a takedown, when he could push for a knockout. The fact is, GSP's fists can do a lot of damage, which is evident by the damage he has done to people's faces over the years. He can also knock anyone at WW out with the right high kick if he lands it. Some of the high kicks he threw against Condit would have taken anyone's head off, including Condit's if he had connect properly.

I stopped reading at "poor standup". You're a moron.

Jake Shields, hands down the worst striker in MMA tore gsp up on the feet.

Yes gsp's striking is poor. He gets away with it because the ww division is filled with poor striking wrestlers or decent strikers with no TDD and worthless on their back.

ufc129_12_gsp_vs_shields_024_large_large.jpg

You don't get your face smashed like that against Shields if you have any striking skills.

Poor standup technique coupled with average power and fear of getting serra'd again.

BWAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAHAHAHAHAH

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA

Except he schools EVERYBODY at WW (except Condit) with his standup - with the exception of getting blinded by Shields special Bloodsport eye-poke move. Condit almost got him in the stand-up with one kick but then GSP spent the rest of the rounds thumping Condit and then taking him down.

Back