GSP's grappling was brilliant

EE6_TBOIO_MATb

Blue Belt
Reaction score
His takedowns were great, but somehow I was even more impressed by his positionning work on the ground.

BTW, did I miss something or he didn't attempt any sub ?

Thoughts ?

Really? I thought his grappling wasn't really on display at all. He managed to pass a lot through strength and incredible conditioning, but besides avoiding the sweep he didn't really do much besides tire serra out. Though I think that was the plan.

His takedowns were great, but somehow I was even more impressed by his positionning work on the ground.

BTW, did I miss something or he didn't attempt any sub ?

Thoughts ?

I agree, he took a Renzo Gracie Blackbelt to school and made him pay tuition.

Well during the first round, he was only able to get half guard I believe, I could be wrong. It wasn't until round two when St-Pierre was able to get side control and knee on belly. And I think that was mostly due to landing strikes from Matt's guard and tiring him out. But I am not trying to discredit Georges grappling.

A combination of great speed, strength, conditioning and solid fundamentals overwhelmed Serra. Matt had some good hip work, but GSP was constantly pummeling for control and constantly fighting for the pass.

Serra fought a good fight, but GSP is a machine. GSP's ground skills looked concrete, but nothing spectacular. He bullied Serra, yeah, but even amongst the barrage of strikes, Serra was toying around with GSP. Ended up costing him, I guess.

i don't think GSP wanted to submit Serra, to be honest. I think he wanted to pound him for all the shit talk prior. He put on a clinic with MMA grappling. Can't wait to see GSP vs. Anderson Silva.

not really... GSP was much bigger and just bullied him... didn't outgrapple him, he was in half guard the whole time, he only passed after elbowing Serra's cranium in for a long time..

not really... GSP was much bigger and just bullied him... didn't outgrapple him, he was in half guard the whole time, he only passed after elbowing Serra's cranium in for a long time..

Ya, a 200 lb+ guy beat up a 150 lber. Not that it's easy if he has a bjj bb but it helps to be fighting a guy the size of your wife, girlfriend or significant other.

I agree, he took a Renzo Gracie Blackbelt to school and made him pay tuition.

Thank you, Mr. T.

sherdog news page said:
"My strategy was to make a physical fight, make him tired as much as I can because I know I have the athleticism," St. Pierre said in the cage after the fight. "So I was trying to mix as much as I could: up, down, up, down. Ground-and pound, not play jiu-jitsu game because jiu-jitsu, that's his strength. So that's how I won the fight: I tired him out and then I took the fight."

GSP looks tremendous. He always seems to fight like he has an extra 20 pounds of size, without affecting his cardio or speed at all. Amazing. And his wrestling is outtasight ... what other fighter without a distinguished wrestling career is dropping huge double legs left and and right like that in the UFC? Amazing!

He did exactly what he needed to do. Might not have been fancy but it was solid.

if it wasn't for his striking, and size he never would have passed.... his mma was flawless none the less and he used his weapons beautifully.

I think it is fair to say that GSP out grappled Serra, he didn't out juijitsu him. GSP passes guard the same way every time, He pushes down on the left leg and throws his right leg over it. Serra knew that he still got his guard passed. MMA, size advantage, whatever, That is impressive.

As for Serra, GSP had a hard time GnPing him. He impressed me in the loss, mainly because after that I think he can beat hughes. I don't think Hughes has the game to pass serra's guard and at best could lay on him for 3 rounds. I wouldn't be surprised is Serra swept him and forced Hughes to fight from his back (never good for hughes) and Hughes would we stupid to stand with him.

GSP is very hard to submit in MMA. Everyone that has had a sub on him says that he is freakishly strong and just pulls out. It looked like everytime Serra would go for something, GSP would pull out or Serra would get passed into half guard.

Back