GSP would be lightweight sized in today’s world

A fighter's weight outside of training camp shows how big someone naturally is when he isn't trying to cut weight. So it's a more accurate representation of someone's true size.
I'm not so sure there is such thing as "how big someone naturally is", though. Some guys balloon up like crazy in between fights and get positively flabby - Anderson Silva and Jon Jones tend to do that - or get much bigger during periods when they aren't being tested by USADA (ahem...). Others stay in near-fighting shape year 'round - and some do both and alternative their strategy over time.

Probably the best measure of size would be how much someone weighs when fully hydrated. That's why it's such a good thing that some organizations are experimenting with ways to cut down on weight cutting.

He would be a big LW but he could make the cut. Obviously he'd have to lose some mass, but if he water fast a couple of times he'll be good to go.

Probably true. Funny thing is during GSP’s prime, a lot of people were saying he was a huge welterweight..
He was.....back then. BJ Penn is now an undersized FW and was WW champ. GSP was one of the first to really get great at weight cutting and maximizing his advantages in cage and by match making.

How is it outdated? He said that's what he usually weighs. Do you know what "Usually" means?

Usually is more accurate than what he weighed for one fight in particular.

Again, what does it matter what he weighs 1 week leading into a fight? How is that an indicator of anything at all?

The only thing that's important to know is that he fights at 155 and his walk around weight is around 188.

What he weighs at different stages of his weight cut is completely irrelavent so i'm confused at what exactly the point is you're trying to make.
Johnny Hendricks fights at 170 and his walk around weight is 220. The only thing important to know.

Match making?
Who should he have fought during his reign at ww that he didn’t?

The middleweight GOAT.

I love GSP and Anderson.

But he should have challenged himself and shut up all the haters once and for all by taking on Anderson in his prime.

Lol @ Grease SP being small WW. Why make up lies to boost him up? Guy had to resort to cheating against a modern day FW. If GSP is a LW now then so are his opponents and some are even smaller. Stop the cock sucking.

Incorrect.

He was biggest at WW against Shields and that was 189lbs. He and his team set a target weight of 193lbs for that fight and that is the comment most point to but GSP failed to hold the weight he gained which he showed thru the Vlogs he created during the fight training.

In the early part of GSP's WW run being a 185-190lb WW was considered big. But by the mid point of GSP's run that was the norm and then towards the smaller side of norm by the time he retired.

By the end of his run?

Baby fat and short Hendricks?
Skinny Diaz?
Skinny Condit?

Seriously ... GSP has fans that are sore winners.

By the end of his run?

Baby fat and short Hendricks?
Skinny Diaz?
Skinny Condit?

Seriously ... GSP has fans that are sore winners.
yes, by the end of his run many of the top LW's were admitting cutting to LW from around 185lbs and many of the top WW around 200lbs. Every division upsized.

A few people with hater agendas like to lie and pretend that is not the truth. Sad for them the fighters have quotes out there.

yes, by the end of his run many of the top LW's were admitting cutting to LW from around 185lbs and many of the top WW around 200lbs. Every division upsized.

A few people with hater agendas like to lie and pretend that is not the truth. Sad for them the fighters have quotes out there.

Lmao.

So fighters that he never faced. Thats ur argument.

I’ve met GSP in real life at a local event about 10-11 years ago. He has a very wide back he wouldn’t make LW. At least not well. He’s not the biggest WW but he is on the larger side of it

Sorry there's no way Khabib is bigger than GSP come fight time in the cage.

wIwcDoC.jpg

Firas Zahabi said GSP was like 193 lbs when he fought Jake Shields. GSP said he was 185 lbs vs BJ Penn 2 and it was an easy cut.

Alves and Hendricks claimed they were around 200 lbs when they fought GSP and yet GSP was just as big lol

First off, IMO, GSP is the GOAT. Having said that, him & Khabib are not the same size. Even when forced to weigh in at 170, GSP is in phenomenal shape, with very little body fat. GSP honestly has very little fat on him, even at 170, him at 155 would be like Conor at 145, meaning yes, its possible, but he would look unrecognizable at the weigh ins. 170 is GSP's optimal weight class, regardless of walking around weight. Look at any pic of GSP at weigh ins, tell me where you think he has excess fat & can easily lose 15 lbs? He's already shredded with well defined abs at 170 weigh in.

Khabib, weighing in at 155, still carries more body fat on him than when GSP weighs in at 170. There are tons of LWs who like to talk about walking around at 185, but at 185 they're chubby. GSP at 185 is still in excellent shape

Lmao.

So fighters that he never faced. Thats ur argument.
This size, or upsizing of the divisions is a FACT of the size of the fighters in it and not tied to specifically who you fought.

If you are not in the top 10 or even 20% of biggest guys in the division size wise, NO ONE should say 'but ya, you haven't fought those guys so you are still the biggest in the division'.

That is derp level logic and thinking.

I thought there were times when GSP said he fought at 193/194 pounds. He was a big WW. I think if he fought now he'd fight like 178ish LW though. He always said he had to try so hard to maintain his weight.

I don't know if he ever got that big, but there was an old vid of GSP stepping on a scale in the locker room on the night of his 2nd fight with Koscheck (Dec 2010) and he weighed 187.5

GSP had no wish to comeback to the new WW division. Everyone was tall and finally as athletic as he was, and he relied a lot on athleticism and reach against softer smaller guys in his run.

Back