GSP vs Matt Serra: Submission Grappling

Lets look at their resume
GI:Matt Serra 3rd place Black Belt division in weight and age class. Doesnt mean much.
St. Pierre never competed on such a high level in BJJ.

NoGI:Matt Serra took 2nd place in his weight division at ADCC, losing to Marcio Feitosa.
St. Pierre got armbarred in little over a minute.

Matt Serra is one of the first american black belts. GSP is a brown belt who is known to switch teams alot.

I think it should be fairly easy to say who will win this most likely on paper.

I COSIGN with HammerTime and MikeyTriangles. Serra takes a ADCC-style match all day. GSP can wrestle and "arguably" has better BJJ for MMA, but in a strict no gi, or gi match, Serra would own him. And I'm a HUGE GSP fan.

serra would win.. Serra won ADCC technically once and beat the dude who humiliated GSP

I expected more from these forums.. so now being a strong wrestler (not even D-1 level) and a hardly legit brown can beat a ADCC finalist? Gomi was one of the best catch wrestlers and got schooled by Serra, its not like Serra would be retarded enough to wrestle with GSP, and its not like GSP is something we've never seen before... there are several wrestlers with a better level than *possible olympic canadian team (WOW MASSIVE!)* with better BJJ creds than GSP who have never come close to getting where Serra got in ADCC...oh well why am i typing all this, Serra would win obviously

If GSP didnt win in a grappling match, I believe it would be a lot closer than you guys are making it sound.

As for Kimuralex' comment, how is my "liking" or "not liking" serra being reflected in the reasoning behind my opinion? I mean, for the record, I respect Serra as a fighter, and as a coach, and would train with him in a second provided the opportunity; however, he's given GSP fans, or just any reasonable well adjusted person, every reason to not like him as a person. I mean, he's insulted GSP directly ad infinitum since Georges said "I didnt prepare well."

And yet, I've heard people from New York say "You just dont understand. It's a New York thing." So, it's okay to lip people off because they're from New York? So if people are from chechnya they can just have bloody military coups wherever they go? Kthxbye.

Everyone should read the interview with Matt Serra on the front page.

Explains a bit about the GSP beef that really isn't any, but more importantly it gives you a glimps of how much we all talk ourselves into opinions when we really don't know how the guy trains, or what progress he's making.

I think given Serra's work ethic and Ray Longo in his corner he will show that the win was anything but a fluke.

Lets look at their resume
GI:Matt Serra 3rd place Black Belt division in weight and age class. Doesnt mean much.
St. Pierre never competed on such a high level in BJJ.

NoGI:Matt Serra took 2nd place in his weight division at ADCC, losing to Marcio Feitosa.
St. Pierre got armbarred in little over a minute.

Matt Serra is one of the first american black belts. GSP is a brown belt who is known to switch teams alot.

I think it should be fairly easy to say who will win this most likely on paper.

he did not lose to feitosa, he opted not to enter the match at the wish of renzo gracie. a lot of peoplke think he would have won, as he ran through everyone else in that comp.

first I think the whole rivalry between GSP and Serra is of course getting completely blown out of proportion. GSP hit a real low spot in his life and career after losing to Serra, and people wouldn't leave him alone, but that still doesn't give him a reason to say "if it was mat hughes I wouldn't take the fight, but its only Matt Serra I can beat this guy (easy)". Serra feels disrespected, and he speaks his mind so he spoke his mind and responded with the "f****** frenchy" comment....and if anyone tries to convince me that Frenchy is the same as N***** I'll point to the fact for a word to have meaning the person using it must have power...and I don't think those of french descent are without power in canada.

I like both fighters personality, but I can relate to the straight shooting serra better. If you tell people how you feel and how you see things your an asshole, and I think he accepts that ppl think he is.

Moving on to the point of this thread after that hijack, GSP vs Serra in sub-grappling. ADCC rules with no points in the first part of the match and points after 5 minutes, I'll take serra b/c his no-gi grappling is air tight and fluid. Yes GSP is a good (see not great) wrestler. Especially with his hips, but lets face it in ADCC Serra can sit down armdrag and hop around his back (see serra v gomi) or do anything else he wants. Plus I haven't seen enough bottom game from GSP to believe that if serra gets on top he is going to stop him from having his way with him.

In GI, again I'll take serra. Renzo's first black belt ...do I need to say much more?

Hopefully we'll get to see some ground action in their fight tonight, although even though the way the last fight went I still think it's way too risky to take Serra down.

Even though I think GSP will win tonight, I do think Serra is a good matchup to beat him. GSP is a proven wrestler killer, so it makes sense that a striker/BJJ combo will be the one to beat him. GSP beats people that fear his takedowns, Serra doesn't give a fuck.

Anyway, like the rational posts on this thread, I agree that probably half the time GSP could get a win over Serra in ADCC maybe 2-0 and half the time Serra could win by sub, or by possibly taking his back and winning 4-2 or 4-0.

wtf?

serra is a black under renzo, and last year several of the people that are higher ups at renzo's and rolled with both serra and GSP said that GSP was like a white belt compared to serra.

now it's clear that he's improved dramatically since then, but i don't think it's enough..

MMA wise i think the whole world agrees GSP is better. the question is will matt's heart, determination, hard-work, and awkward size/power get him a second win over a more talented overall fighter. Fact is, Matt has a dificult style and body type for GSP to deal with, and it showed in their first bout.

in a grappling match he'd not only have that on his side, but he'd also be the more skilled and experienced techniction

Never knew that, thanks.

But I don't think Matt is going to be able to get past George this time around. Its possible that Matt can win, just in my opinion highly unlikely. George will keep it safe this time around and use to superior wrestling to take Serra down and finish him from there.

I can hardly believe we are having this argument right now. Granted Matt Serra has very good Jiu-Jitsu, but I guarantee you BJ Penn's is better... and did GSP not beat him?
I'm also 100% sure that Matt Serra couldn't

GSP is one of the best welterweights ever, if the not the best, up there with Hughes in his prime. Serra is just a bump in the road.

GSP is an INCREDIBLY well rounded fighter, with great standup (kyoshukin, kickboxing, muay thai, and western boxing), as well as really good mat work (wresting and BJJ)

All Serra's got on GSP is the jits,

GSP > Serra at wrestling and any standup.

before anyone brings up Serra KO'ing GSP... just know that my defense is going to be FLUKE.
GSP has explained why he thinks he lost the fight, and usually i judge a fighter when they use excuses for their loss, but GSP usually doesn't showboat, he doesn't trash talk, he just fights.

I can hardly believe we are having this argument right now. Granted Matt Serra has very good Jiu-Jitsu, but I guarantee you BJ Penn's is better... and did GSP not beat him?
I'm also 100% sure that Matt Serra couldn't

GSP is one of the best welterweights ever, if the not the best, up there with Hughes in his prime. Serra is just a bump in the road.

GSP is an INCREDIBLY well rounded fighter, with great standup (kyoshukin, kickboxing, muay thai, and western boxing), as well as really good mat work (wresting and BJJ)

All Serra's got on GSP is the jits,

GSP > Serra at wrestling and any standup.

before anyone brings up Serra KO'ing GSP... just know that my defense is going to be FLUKE.
GSP has explained why he thinks he lost the fight, and usually i judge a fighter when they use excuses for their loss, but GSP usually doesn't showboat, he doesn't trash talk, he just fights.

i nominate this for most arrogant irrelevant post of the thread :)

First off I actually don't think GSP really won that fight with BJ. It was close either way, but it was very clear that BJ's conditioning was a major factor.

Second many people would argue Matt serra to be as good as BJ, they are at least close in skill. BJ and Serra had one of the best fights in UFC history, and many poeople thought serra actually won their fight, so do your research.

finally this thread is about a GRAPPLING MATCH, NOT an MMA FIGHT! Serra would cream GSP in this kind of match.

PS

BJ is my favorite fighter, GSP is probably my second or third fav. Serra I admire, and just recognize the fact that he's a better submission grappler than GSP, and has a good style/body type to give him trouble despite the fact that GSP is a more talented overall fighter.

GSP in both Gi and No-Gi. His wrestling, Judo, and top game are too good for Serra.

GSP in both Gi and No-Gi. His wrestling, Judo, and top game are too good for Serra.

But Serra is a wizard on the ground in both those things lol

But yes GSP's Wrestling is great. One problem I see for GSP in a grappling match with Serra, is how much longer his limps are than Serras.

Serra would take this match, maybe not in dominating fashion, but he would take it none the less.

GSP's wrestling and BJJ have developed in an MMA-focused context, with his training based on explosive strength and using strikes to set up both his takedowns and his submissions.

Serra's grappling has been tested and held up in the ADCC. Serra's body type, while a liability in MMA, is nothing if not an advantage in a pure submission grappling match against GSP.

To me, it seems that Matt Serra has trained and fought with many of the top guys of bjj. He only marginally lost to Leo Vieira in a submission wrestling match. I can't see how GSP could possibly beat someone that did excellently against Leo and has trained with some of the best black belts in the world.

To me, it seems that Matt Serra has trained and fought with many of the top guys of bjj. He only marginally lost to Leo Vieira in a submission wrestling match. I can't see how GSP could possibly beat someone that did excellently against Leo and has trained with some of the best black belts in the world.

exciting match:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/V0kORUjS1nI&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/V0kORUjS1nI&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

those last 2 points awarded to Leozinho for a takedown were such clear BS, lol. what an athletic maneuver on Matt's part.

I predict Matt Serra will poop his mma shorts and win by stinky triangle.

exciting match:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/V0kORUjS1nI&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/V0kORUjS1nI&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

those last 2 points awarded to Leozinho for a takedown were such clear BS, lol. what an athletic maneuver on Matt's part.

that throw was ownage personified in a throw..

There is little argument to suggest GSP has anything over Serra in grappling other than takedowns. Some one in this thread made the argument that GSP was a brown under Renzo which would give him an advantage but, Serra's a black under Renzo. Some one also said that GSP hung with BJ on the ground and that Serra couldn't do that. GSP sad in BJ's guard and couldn't pass for about 4 minutes. That's hardly hanging with him. Now that i've pointed out some stupid statements, once it hits the floor Serra wins.

Back