GSP vs Matt Serra: Submission Grappling

ozyabbas

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I hear people say that GSP is better than Matt Serra in all aspects of mma, to me it seemed ludicrous because Matt Serra has work class BJJ. It surprised me that some people thought that GSP could beat Matt Serra in an adcc rules submission wrestling match.

I was wondering what other peoples thoughts are on the matter.

In ADCC im fairly confident GSP would win. Maybe not by sub but he would win. Matt would never be able to take him down and I don't think he could sub him from his back.

I am 99 percent sure matt serra would win, probobly by submission too.

In gi jui jitsu, serra wins. No gi, GSP. GSP's wrestling and control are too good. Serra could pull something out but it would be unlikely.

There is far more to grappling than BJJ, and much more to MMA grappling than just grappling. I think this is what people were alluding to.

I'm fairly certain that GSP would beat serra in a sub-grappling match, simply because of his amazing wrestling(he was going to try out for the olympic team here), and he is a Brown belt under renzo, and studies with Bruno Fernandes, who trains frequently at Renzo's. He's also retard strong, which, in GSP's case, is only an advantage.

Brown belt, retard strong, international level wrestler.

Just in MMA he's allowed to punch serra in the face.

^ Blue belt to brown belt over the last 3 years I believe - it's not all that relevant to the discussion anymore. I have no idea who would win a no-gi grappling match, I expect it would be pretty even (maybe GSP wins 6-7 out of 10 on points, Serra wins 3-4 with subs). In a gi match, obviously Serra is going to win the vast majority of the time.

serra takes both gi and no gi. theres only so much u can do with superior wrestling. serra is very solid from his back and i think he could sub gsp in 15-20 min however logn a adcc match is. in the gi no chance for gsp

In ADCC im fairly confident GSP would win. Maybe not by sub but he would win. Matt would never be able to take him down and I don't think he could sub him from his back.

He doesn't need to sub him off his back. he could pull guard and sweep him, or take his back. I would bet the ranch on serra in a grappling match with no striking. he's too smart of a competitor. he never gives up points for shit. there's no way he'd let st. pierre get the takedown.

Santos is hardly a n00b, and GSP's submission grappling has improved in leaps and bounds since then.

not nearly enough to coimpare to serra though.

wrestling match, no doubt gsp would win

He doesn't need to sub him off his back. he could pull guard and sweep him, or take his back. I would bet the ranch on serra in a grappling match with no striking. he's too smart of a competitor. he never gives up points for shit. there's no way he'd let st. pierre get the takedown.

I'm not so sure it's a matter of letting him get the take down, so much as GSP would probably get it. Once there, GSP's really fuckin solid.

I'm not so sure it's a matter of letting him get the take down, so much as GSP would probably get it. Once there, GSP's really fuckin solid.

it absolutely is. matt would pull guard before st. pierre had a chance. I believe Matt is undefeated in ADCC, or damn close.

In mma serra has subbed one person and it was like 4 years ago

I think you guys just dont like serra, why dont you go and find out how good he really is by looking up what he has won and stuff. Serra is really solid, and has been a blackbelt for a long time

I agree with triangles, i would bet my house on serra in a grappling match.

this is relevent how exactly? and look at the competition hes fighting....

Im just saying, because I don't think he'd be able to sub him in MMA competition, can't have an opinion?

As for grappling, I think it could go either way. Due to size and strength plus the fact GSP is a brown under Renzo and Serra is a black under serra. But i think Serra would win the majority of them to technique.

Im just saying, because I don't think he'd be able to sub him in MMA competition, can't have an opinion?

As for grappling, I think it could go either way. Due to size and strength plus the fact GSP is a brown under Renzo and Serra is a black under serra. But i think Serra would win the majority of them to technique.

wtf?

serra is a black under renzo, and last year several of the people that are higher ups at renzo's and rolled with both serra and GSP said that GSP was like a white belt compared to serra.

now it's clear that he's improved dramatically since then, but i don't think it's enough..

MMA wise i think the whole world agrees GSP is better. the question is will matt's heart, determination, hard-work, and awkward size/power get him a second win over a more talented overall fighter. Fact is, Matt has a dificult style and body type for GSP to deal with, and it showed in their first bout.

in a grappling match he'd not only have that on his side, but he'd also be the more skilled and experienced techniction

Back