GSP vs Jones record, why GSP's is better. Comparison!

I think GSP is still the GOAT in my mind due to more wins in title fights over a stronger division, but if Bones wins a rematch against Gus or dominates Rumble he'd already be the new GOAT before 30.

More finishes in title fights (5-4 Jones if you count GSP-Hughes III for the Interim), never lost, fights opponents at their strengths. And I consider Cormier to have been a better fighter than any of GSP's opponents.

So TS wasted all his time to convince nobody that GSP's record is better.

Helluva job TS. I'm sure mom and pop are proud!

I think GSP is still the GOAT in my mind due to more wins in title fights over a stronger division, but if Bones wins a rematch against Gus or dominates Rumble he'd already be the new GOAT before 30.

More finishes in title fights (5-4 Jones if you count GSP-Hughes III for the Interim), never lost, fights opponents at their strengths. And I consider Cormier to have been a better fighter than any of GSP's opponents.

I'm a huge GSP fan so I want to admit that up front. With that said, Bones is a scary talent unlike anything we have seen before. He was fighting for the Light Heavy title when he was 23 years old. Even the idea that he could break all the records before or by 30 years old is outrageous. Now we know he has a drug problem which further indicates, at least to me, that his talent level is off the scale. He is a fighting prodigy.

Jones had better competition than GSP who had better competition than Anderson. Let's not forget that GSP was submitted and tko'd, while Anderson was submitted twice before coming to the UFC.

Much of GSP's claim comes from the perception of Hughes and Penn being GOAT caliber fighters as GSP was defeating them; however, it is fair to say that Penn, especially at 170, was very over-rated and that Hughes was so one dimensional that later in his career he lost to a string of decent strikers like GSP, Koscheck,
Penn and Alves who was a good striker.

Gsp beat better competition which is pretty clear if you read my post.

Hughes lost late in his career because he was old and out of his prime

Jones has 1 more win over defeating former UFC champions

GSP: Penn, Hughes, Serra
Jones: Jackson, Machida, Evans, Belfort

Also Jones finished 3 of the former champs as GSP hasn't finished anyone since getting the belt.
Nice to leave out Hughes and BJ a second time each.

Why GSP is better:

He doesn't snort coke and didn't crash his car in a tree (DUI).

A true champion is a champion INSIDE and OUTSIDE the octagon.

/thread

Also Jones finished 3 of the former champs as GSP hasn't finished anyone since getting the belt.

Shogun was a champion, bruh. So make that 2.

Jones is now in the GOAT talk, so let's compare his record and career to GSP and see how stacks up.

Before their UFC careers, GSP (5-0) had already had some good wins. A win over Ivan Menjivar, Justin Bruckmann, Travis Galbraith, Thomas Denny and Pete Spratt, all of which had decent records. GSP literally never had an easy fight in his career.

Before the UFC Jones (6-0) mostly fought .500 fighters, none of which are really known except maybe Carlos Eduardo.

GSP fought vastly superior competition early in their careers. Now on to the UFC where I'll argue all top 5 of GSP's wins are better than Jones.

Georges St. Pierre

Johhny Hendricks
Nick Diaz
Carlos Condit
Jake Shields
Josh Koscheck
Dan Hardy
Thiago Alves
BJ Penn
Jon Fitch
Matt Serra
Matt Hughes
Josh Koscheck
Matt Hughes
BJ Penn
Sean Sherk
Frank Trigg
Jason Miller
Jay Heiron
Karo Parisyan

Jon Jones

Daniel Cormier
Glover Texeira
Alexander Gustaffson
Chael Sonnen
Vitor Belfort
Rashad Evans
Lyoto Machida
Quinton Jackson
Shogun Rua
Ryan Bader
Vladimir Matyushenko
Brandon Vera
Jake Obrian
Stephan Bonnar
Andre Gusmao

Let's take their top 5 wins each. (subjective of course)

GSP

Hughes 2
BJ Penn 2
Hughes 3
BJ Penn 1
Jake Shields

Jones

Cormier
Shogun
Lyoto
Rashad
Jackson

1)

Hughes was the reigning champ and at the height of his stardom when GSP beat him for the belt. I consider this GSP's best win. I would say a win over Cormier is comparable, as a former Olympian and undefeated fighter at 2 weight classes, but ultimately what is the better win? Probably a guy who was the reigning defending champion at the time, and top p4p fighter, Hughes.

Hughes 1 > Cormier

2)

Now again this is subjective but I chose Shogun as Jones 2nd best win. Shogun was the champion at the time and had just beaten Machida. Shogun was on top in pride for a long time and now the UFC champ, a good win for Jones.

However, GSP fought BJ Penn for the 2nd time, a superfight, champion vs champion, prime vs prime. Penn was on winning streak having just cemented his place as greatest lightweight of all time and was eager to move back up and fight GSP again after giving him a very close first fight.

So I have to go with the superfight of course, champion vs champion, BJ Penn vs GSP 2, one of the most anticipated fights of all time.

Penn 2 > Shogun

3)

I chose Lyoto as Bones 3rd best win, former champion, very skilled fighter and looked unbeatable for a period of time.

For GSP I chose the 3rd Hughes fight. The cap to the trilogy against the greatest WW of all time (at the time) Matt Hughes.

I have to chose Hughes as the bigger fight. It was all tied up 1-1 and they had a settle to score all the chips were on the line in this one. This was a another huge fight in terms of anticipation as well.

Hughes 3 > Lyoto Machida

4)

I chose BJ Penn 1 for GSP. This was BJ Penns return to the UFC, he was known as the former champ who steam rolled Hughes and Gomi. He had a ton of hype behind him back then as I'm sure you all know.

For Bones I chose Rashad. He was a former champion and training partner to Bones, and just overall a well rounded opponent.

I have to chose Penn 1 as the better win. Penn just had an aura back then that few fighters had, and he was considered a top p4p fighter for so long.

BJ Penn 1 > Rashad

5)

I chose Quinton Jackson at Jones 5th best win. He was the former champion and known as a durable test for anyone.

For GSP I chose Shields. He was a top p4p fighter at the time, with a win over Hendo, former SF champ and on a huge winning streak at the time.

I pick Shields who was on a tear with top 10 wins in 2 divisions and a huge winning streak.

As you may have noticed I left Gus off the list, as well as Hendricks and other good fighters.

Even though Gus may be one of the best or possibly the best fighter that Jones has fought, he hasn't really accomplished some of the things that the other fighters have that Jones has beat. The Jones fight was really what put Gustafson on the map and before that many people didn't really think that much about him, and he doesn't have that many top wins. I love Gus but how can I call him a better win then former champions when he has never been a champion and has very few top wins.

The same thing could be said about Jon Fitch. He was one of the toughest fights GSP had, was on a huge winning streak, but I can't put him on the list because GSP has wins over guys who have accomplished more in their careers.

Now that we're done looking at the top 5, let's look at the rest of the wins.

Gus, Glover, Sonnen, Belfort, Bader are Bones next top wins.

Fitch, Hendricks, Condit, Diaz, Alves are GSP's (imo)

I think those lists are pretty well matched but I give a slight edge to GSP. Love gus but he has never gone on a 7 fight winning streak like fitch did, as not ranked top 2 forever like fitch was. Hendricks over Glover too.. Diaz and Alves are better wins than Belfort/Sonnen at 205, and Alves over Bader.

Now we've looked at the top 10 wins of each guy, what is left?

Bones: Vladimir Matyushenko, Brandon Vera, Stephen Bonnar, Jake Obrian, Andre Gusmao

GSP: Karo Parisyan, Jay Heiron, Jason Miller, Sean Sherk, Frank Trigg, Josh Koscheck (2x), Matt Serra, Dan Hardy

The rest of the best wins goes to GSP without question.

So in conclusion. GSP has better top 5 wins, top 10 wins, and better wins in general and a much tougher early career.

This has to be a joke.

Hughes was getting submitted by Dennis hallman n half of his opponents don't have a wiki page

Bj was a decent lw n his only accomplishment in ww is beating overrated Hughes n draw with Jon Fitch

Stop your nuthugging ts

Jones > gsp

Jones is now in the GOAT talk, so let's compare his record and career to GSP and see how stacks up.

So in conclusion. GSP has better top 5 wins, top 10 wins, and better wins in general and a much tougher early career.

To some extent I agree with your analysis.
But you have to put a bold note that GSP is at the end of his career, and JBJ is at his prime.
So, JBJ can improve his record a lot, and GSP will not add much (if anything) to what he has right now.

Here are some numbers to compare
GSP and JBJ:

14 .|. 7 .|. (cwOpRC5) = Number of Wins with Opponent in top 5 Ctg
15 .|. 9 .|. (cwOpRP50) = Number of Wins with Opponent in top 50 P4P
9 .|. 1 .|. (cOpRP10) = Number of fights with Opponent in top 10 P4P
16 .|. 7 .|. (cOpRC5) = Number of fights with Opponent in top 5 Ctg
5 .|. 9 .|. (cntR1P) = Ranked #1 P4P (at the end of quarter)
24 .|. 17 .|. (top5p4p) = Ranked in top 5 P4P (at the end of quarter)
29 .|. 17 .|. (cntR1C) = Ranked #1 in Category (at the end of quarter)
39 .|. 17 .|. (top3ctg) = Ranked in top 3 in Division
45 .|. 21 .|. (gt6CS) = Current Score over 600
46 .|. 19 .|. (top30p4p) = Ranked in top 30 P4P (at the end of quarter)
53 .|. 28 .|. (cntHF) = Number of ranked quarters
40 .|. 29 .|. (ChmpPt) = Championship Points
26 .|. 25 .|. (maxStreak) = Best Win Streak (points not #of fights)
399 .|. 251 .|. (sOp14CR) = Sum of Opponent Rating
607 .|. 510 .|. (awOpCS) = Win - opponent average Current Score
620 .|. 512 .|. (aOpCS) = Opponent average Current Score
4 .|. 8 .|. (mwOpRP) = Win - opponent best P4P ranking (before fight)
937 .|. 969 .|. (maxCS) = Best Current Score

yeah also gsp avenged his losses...jones has one loss in his record and hasnt avenge it. =gsp better

This guy has it. GSP is great, but Jones is the GOAT.

you look at those lists after the fact and you have to be blown away by either guy's accomplishments. they've both obliterated the whole world. i miss gsp.

Because he has morals and he sticks to them

Back