GSP vs DC. Who is GOATer?

GSP, easily.

GSP has *triple* the title defenses of DC.
GSP cleaned out his division (DC has not)
GSP brutally avenged his losses (DC has not)
GSP is widely regarded as the GOAT of his division (DC is not).

end of discussion, IMHO.

GSP is ahead for sure
DC is great too but until he beats Jones he can never be GOAT no matter how much we pretend that Jones losses didn't happen
Don't worry he won my goat of the cheaters poll, everyone on sherdog knows jones is the #1 cheater goat.
GSP and fedor go between #1 and #2 real goat, DC is probably top 5 though

The reason people like to claim GSP isn't high on the goat list is because he always decisioned. But they like to forget he wins all his decisions 50-45, except the hendricks one but after USADA hendricks looked like shit whereas GSP came back moved up a weight class and beat the champ

Let's just say I've never traveled on a road I didn't build myself, if you get me.....

You must spend a lot of time walking on grass. Do you lay asphalt? :)

Tough one. DC lost to the best guy he fought twice and never avenged his losses.
Both were two division champs, but GSP ducked prime Silva and then cherry picked old man Ping, AND then ducked Whittaker.

DC actually beat the most accomplished UFC hw champ, although his LHW belt is widely considered a paper belt.

I’ll go with DC, I have him ranked above GSP. Too much ducking from GSP (Prime Silva, Hendricks rematch, Whittaker).

Both are less GOAT than Jones/Silva though.
jones is GOAT. not silva though.

Greasy P for sure. He dominated for a way longer time, then moved up and won in a similar fashion to DC. He was champ before you even knew who DC was, and he's a few years younger than DC. Just a much longer period of dominance. DC is definitely number two though.

I think we should all note that the times are changing. No one can accomplishe the same things that GSP, Anderson, Fedor did. There will be more losses, less winning streaks, less dominant performances...

You can't compare the early 2000's skill level to what we have right now, the heavyweight division and the LHW division are the only two that you could say that they are less skilled than before, but even for those divisions the top 10 is still way better. Go back to when GSP, Anderson and Fedor started in the big orgs, they were beating the best fighters of the time but they were smaller, less skilled fighters and most of them had blatant weaknesses.

WMMA and the men flyweight division seem to be stuck in those eras due to the lack of fighters

Fighters skills are a lot better right now, everybody has great MMA training, everybody has good enough submission defense and ground and pound defense... Clean records and long winning streaks will be rare, super dominant fighters that finishes all the time will be rare.

We should consider this for the time being or we will be like old guys remembering Babe Ruth and Joe Montana and not appreciating what's going on right now.
I don't think for one second the WW division is overall better than when Georges was champ. 3 LWs from his era were in the top10 at WW last year (cerrone, masvidal and RDA). I don't believe these guys would have been top10 during his reign.

Woodley was in the UFC during Georges reign and couldn't beat Jake Shields to get a titleshot. Rory holds an easy UD win over the current champ. I don't believe for one minute, Rory couldn't do it again in a rematch.

"finish rate" means fuck all to legit fans.

You desperately need huge finish rates? Go watch Bumfights on Youtube.

Are you a fighter?

I won't say I'm not. But on the DC vs GSP debate, I used a lot of anus related logic, which is why I wanted to keep it private.

My thought process ended up resembling what can only be described as a sex blancmange, where the only ingredients were MMA fighters in contention for GOAT.

GSP, easily.

GSP has *triple* the title defenses of DC.
GSP cleaned out his division (DC has not)
GSP brutally avenged his losses (DC has not)
GSP is widely regarded as the GOAT of his division (DC is not).

end of discussion, IMHO.

DC's pretty much cleaned out LHW. Hell, his biggest rival was so convinced he'd lose to him in a fiar fight he cheated.

Hmm very difficult. Gsp avenged every loss but his win against Hendricks was a gift. Dc had a long streak at lhw but he is not the goat lhw and Jones has his number. Gsp took the mw belt from a total paper champ in bisping whereas Dc took it from a long time legit champ in Stipe. Dc can defend the hw belt successfuly a few times before retiring too, i dont think Gsp could have.

DC also beat Roy Nelson

128_roy_nelson_vs_daniel_cormier_gallery_post.0.jpg

Lol TS is this a serious question? GSP and it’s not even close. GSP dominated the WW division for a very long time. His reign of dominance lasted over a decade. Avenged both his losses by convincing fashion. Beat PED users that were juiced to the max. Until DC beats Jones there is no discussion, GSP is/was much Greater.

GSP by a couple of miles

Dc has beaten one champion. All his 'defenses' at LHW came after receiving the belt in the mail. He has no plans to do anything significant at heavyweight aside from winning the title from Stipe, which admittedly is very significant.

But DC isn't even particularly close to the 'GOAT'

It's definitely close. DC has arguably no legit losses ever and he has beaten some incredible fighters.

His strenght of opposition isnt even close to GSP's. Sorry but beating Hendo and Silva when they're washed up doesn't do anything.

GSP but DC is a top ten for sure.

DC went up and took the belt off the best UFC HW of all time. GSP gave Whittaker the belt while shaking.

DC has to kill himself to make LHW so let's not pretend that going to HW was really moving "UP".

GSP never had problems making WW, he 100% moved up to fight Bisping.

I think DC's resume is a bit better. At the end of the day, they are both below Jones and Silva

Back