GSP vs Anderson Silva, Pride rules

PRIDEfallstoUFC

FAKEfallstoREAL
@Orange
Reaction score
So who do you think this rule set would favor?

Ok, someone would be paid off to take a dive because that's how Pride worked, but what if it was a real contest?

Advantages for GSP: endurance round for round 1, knees to the head from top position.

Advantages for Silva: Upkicks, fight being judged as a whole (If GSP played the point game and Silva caught him and did damage, the judges would give Silva credit).

I feel like the lack of elbows would equally hurt/help both. Unsure if the ring would be good or bad for Silva. Would he want to wall-walk or would GSP use a cage to pin him?

GSP has better takedowns and top control than Chael, but it's honestly one of those that's tough to call.

Grapplers can get hurt much more in pride and activity on the ground is also a huge factor in the scoring. Anderson would smash GSP

Pride rules with elbows is probably the best rule set and scoring for mma, that would be the closest to a real fight 1 vs 1 hand to hand scenario. Also the 10 min 1st round is nice for continuous action.

I would favor GSP to beat Anderson at 185 despite the fact that there are fighters at 185 and 205 that Anderson beat that I would favor to beat GSP.

GSP is just a nightmare match up for Anderson. I think he takes Anderson down at will and keeps him there without getting caught in a sub like Chael in a pretty boring fight. I don't think it's even close if we're talking about welterweight Anderson from PRIDE. I think GSP dominates him bell to bell.

I would favor GSP to beat Anderson at 185 despite the fact that there are fighters at 185 and 205 that Anderson beat that I would favor to beat GSP.

GSP is just a nightmare match up for Anderson. I think he takes Anderson down at will and keeps him there without getting caught in a sub like Chael in a pretty boring fight. I don't think it's even close if we're talking about welterweight Anderson from PRIDE. I think GSP dominates him bell to bell.

Except when Anderson was healthy in the rematch, Chael could only control him for 1 round going at 100%, completely draining himself while doing zero damage. Lutter the same, even Dan Henderson. Prime Silva could not be controlled for long on the ground, everybody who tried had short success and was quickly finished in brutal fashion shortly thereafter.

Don't even start with GSP who is naturally much smaller, weaker and has the weakest skin out of any ATG fighter. Silva with his pointy limbs slaughters him from the bottom(if GSP even gets him there) forces standups and massacres him eventually.

Silva by KO

He would have upkicks, knees to head (if he sprawls), and he would have soccer kicks as well if he gets on top from a failed GSP takedown (also stomps). GSP could Spike Silva though that is an advantage and if GSP got top position he could stand up and try a stomp or soccer kick. Silva was not easy to hold down and Silva in the 2nd half of his prime developed good enough takedown defense and footwork and reversals that he managed to largelly stuff Okami, Chael, and Maia (who are all taller and larger than GSP and heavier). (Remember Anderson was legit injured in the 1st Chael fight

The only way things could be worse for a grappler is allowing 12 -6 elbows and rabbit (back of head punches) to the back of the head and the spine.

If you allow a guy to bash the back of someones head or spine in while they are trying for a takedown against the cage or ring you heavily increase the odds of their takedown attempt failing and the grappler being KO or injured

If headbutts were allowed though it could favor top positional opponent in the guard but Pride didnt allow headbutts

Last edited:
GSP has better takedowns and top control than Chael, but it's honestly one of those that's tough to call.

Chael is a lot bigger. 210lbs or 205lbs and 6"1, bigger frame

Vs

5"10, and 185lb to 190lb GSP and that was optimal GSP

but chael is 40 punds bigger and anderson beat him with a broken rib

More like a 20 to 25lb weight difference

I’m a huge GSP fan, but if GSP himself didn’t feel confident he could beat Anderson, then I don’t feel confident he could beat Anderson lol

Last edited:
Pride Rules?

Georges would get rekt by Chute Box knees and stomps. Plus no stalling on the ground and frequent stand ups for lay and pray.

Big GSP fan but the Pride Rules heavily favor prime Silva. Unified Rules favor GSP.

Newton took down Anderson at will, so Silva would likely have to land a bomb like at some point.

Chances are it looks like Anderson vs Chael 1 minus the crazy finish, since prime GSP doesn't have subpar sub defense and striking.

Last edited:
Back