GSP trying to hardball negotiations = Wonderboy Title Shot

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by NateDiazRealDad, Aug 12, 2016.

1. NateDiazRealDad

NateDiazRealDad Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Am I wrong to presume this or did the dates not line up with the USADA testing? I don't think there would have been enough time to get the full four month period of testing done in time for the MSG card, but don't know whether a couple of weeks difference would have been enough to derail his comeback for that event.

My sense is that GSP is going hard in negotiations and that's why Dana has been publicly suggesting he's not really serious about coming back.

I also think Rory's contract situation is an underrated factor in GSP's return. GSP has said in the past that he only wants superfights because he doesn't want to get in Rory's way of getting the title.

2. RicksonsGrip

RicksonsGrip Orange Belt

GSP needs to STFU already, if he continues to be so picky about a comeback fight, hes gonna spend his last few months of "near-primeness" go to waste... all this makes me think all these comeback taunts are just a publicity stunt to remain relevant in the MMA/UFC merchandise market...

3. PeterGriffin

PeterGriffin Black Belt

GSP wants to get paid fairly and properly, and his team won't jump at the first offer. His compensation from the Reebok deal is a far, far cry on what he loses out on through his other sponsors that he can't represent. But that's a separate issue from Wonderboy getting the next title shot.

Wonderboy was given the next shot because I don't think DW wanted to let Woodley follow in Conor's footsteps... choosing his opponents. Dana let Conor do that, and it fucked up the UFC's plans, put the FW division on hold, and created a ridiculous interim title unnecessarily.

4. Fahcough

Fahcough Black Belt

You pay more for a Viper than a Civic because it's exciting as fuck! Although 1 is much more reliable and guaranteed to get you there. Completely irrelevant to PPV numbers but I put an exclamation and that means it's fact!

5. AceCooch

AceCooch Ace Land

I can pitch a tent with the pringles can in my pants, but that doesn't mean your wife is going to charge me in more to shove it in her

Edit: No offense, but I have no clue wtf you were trying to say there

6. AP_RESURRECTION

AP_RESURRECTION Gold Belt

same vibe i got - nice to see others picking up on this stuff now too a bit more - gsp and his team seem like good negotiators, i wonder if they'll ever come to a deal

fortheo likes this.
  7. Fahcough

Fahcough Black Belt

Me neither. I've been sitting in torrential downpour for 7 hours and going nanners.

PeterGriffin and AceCooch like this.
  8. IndyCovaHart

IndyCovaHart Gold Belt

GSP isn't worth the headache.

A bunch of lawyers and paperwork just for him to come back and do the same boring shit he did before leaving.

nevernamed likes this.
  9. UJustGotChaeld

UJustGotChaeld Steel Belt

You should STFU. What makes you think he is being picky? You realize GSP has a pre-reebok contract and he has sponsors that don't work in the Reebok era that stuck with him through his whole retirement, and GSP is a loyal guy.

GSP has been trying to get a contract that lets him fight. And then the UFC was up for sale and the negotiations had to stop.

Meathead Jock and Koimpact like this.
  10. UJustGotChaeld

UJustGotChaeld Steel Belt

You mean sell PPV like hotcakes? More than any other fighter in history?

Koimpact likes this.
  11. mjmj

mjmj Black Belt

I’m confused, but that last senstence made me laugh like hell. Worth a like just for that.

Fahcough likes this.
  12. Rod Farva

Rod Farva War Big Nog!

I love GSP but give me a break. Either come back and fight or dont. Stop being a maybe

13. Blanqa Blanqua

Blanqa Blanqua Silver Belt

Did you eat the Pringles first?

Arm Barbarian and Fahcough like this.
  14. Fahcough

Fahcough Black Belt

Don't worry brother, I was headed somewhere with that then my phone went off and it was a dirty text so that was end of car talk and logical thinking.

15. johncola

johncola Red Belt

It does seem like usual UFC tactics. Dana talks to media to spin some sort of narrative or pressure fighters in some way. I think they're having trouble negotiating, and Wonderboy is being dangled by the UFC in front of Georges to say they have a strong alternative if he doesn't sign. Maybe it's a money issue, since it normally is, but maybe GSP has some specific requests, concerning sponsorship, or drug testing, or even Rory like you say. It is just pure speculation to say Rory's involved though. I'd like it to be true. I'd like GSP to care enough about his training partner to try and get him paid too, but these are mercenaries for the most part.

Meathead Jock likes this.
  16. Fahcough

Fahcough Black Belt

If you made a poll, the #1 flavor around here is Salt and Vinegar.

Blanqa Blanqua likes this.
  17. Zefram Cochrane

Zefram Cochrane Follow me on Pictogram

Impossibru! The bald father never lies. That's a fuct.

18. crysis

crysis Green Belt

gsp coming back isn't a good thing for his career.

he left on top and still champ and if comes back he will start losing badly and tarnish his legacy.

i'm not sure why he doesn't learn from others before him but hate to say this i guess he's going to have to learn the hard way.

in gsp's last 3 fights he was way slower, less explosive, less movement than he's ever been. so on top of his long lay off, he won't ever be like he was prior to his first acl injury.

super fights are the only thing that make any sense, not another run at the ww title, he'll never be able to surpass what he's already done. in other words if he won the title back, he most likely wouldn't reign and hold the title for as long as he did prior to his retirement.

i think if he stayed involved through commentary would be great, but him coming back and fighting makes me worried that he'll start losing and getting finished hurting his record.

19. crysis

crysis Green Belt

20. Blanqa Blanqua

Blanqa Blanqua Silver Belt

Very true lol, salty and bitter is what they like