GSP threatened to walk after becoming champion and got offered millions by the UFC

I read the article and GSP admits the base salary that the UFC pays is not what's important. He accumulated his wealth by getting a portion of PPV buys and live gate revenue. He said that's where the money is at
where did he say that in the article?

that said, yes, the ppv money will be more lucrative if you are drawing like gsp......

Top UFC fighters need to hire a publicist and take a page out of Conor and the Paul brothers playbook, and gain more mainstream exposure. Talent + mainstream awareness = more negotiating leverage
Easier said than done, most of those guys have potato personalities.

where did he say that in the article?

that said, yes, the ppv money will be more lucrative if you are drawing like gsp......

I read the MMA fighting article yesterday about the same story. Might be a little different but he said this

"You read I made $400,000 a match? No. I made a lot more than that. A lot more than that. Millions. When I was at the peak of my career, I was making many millions of dollars. Because you not only get the money to show and the money to win, but you also have a percentage of the gate and pay-per-view buys — the gate and the pay-per-views are where the real money is. That’s how fighters make their money. But you need to have the power to negotiate those terms.”

This is also the reason UFC added wording in their contract that automatically extends fighter's contracts if they win a belt

GSP only had 1 fight left on his contract as their champion, so that gave him the bargaining power

UFC made sure no future champ would ever be able to hold that kind of power over them again

Georges doesn’t say why the champions contract clause didn’t apply to him……

It didn't exist then. UFC added it after GSP did this I believe to avoid it happening again

Reactions: HHJ
https://www.mmamania.com/2021/6/14/...hters-exposes-ufc-payouts-making-millions-mma

Do you think there's any fighters right now on the UFC roster that can substantially increase their pay rate by walking?

Henry Cejudo tried to pull this and failed
Jon Jones tried to pull this and failed.

Khabib didn't really try to pull this but got crazy offers to not walk.

Do you think there's currently any fighter that has this kind of sway over the UFC?

Maybe McGregor but his hype has died down a lot from the past.
Conor has tried this several times and failed

The guy defended the title 9 times in a row, who was the legitimate competition he was ducking at the time?

"Almost lost to Bisping"

giphy.gif

d728c86dea960aecae554dae2eacc2ac.gif

75nO3x1.gif

Maybe he meant GSP ducking everyone at MW were I agree. Dont believe the colitis excuse for a second. Not with him later bringing himself into contention for a khabib fight.
Him being WW champ he ducked nobody and took on all the contenders. He will imo stay the best WW of all time and he controlled Bisping easy until he finished him
That was a one sided fight. But the stain is that he waited until a lame duck like Bisping got the MW title by chance and then imideatly ran away after. I dont value his MW title win at all.

That was a win vs. a lower level top10 MW. Great in itself but not by any estimation title worthy.

Back