GSP... The most talented MMA practitioner to grace the sport?

Hes close. But why do people say hes perfect in every aspect when his submissions were clearly lacking?

In terms of skill GSP is/was the most well rounded mmartist we've seen. The only guys who can surpass him in terms of skill is Bones and The Chris. Being the goat and most skilled aren't the same.

GSP was the most talented imo. And as you said, not necessarily the greatest fighter to ever grace the fighting stage but definetly the best.
He beat everybody in their own game and made it look easy doing so and he didnt lose a fight to anyone he didnt beat. BJ;s bjj didnt do shit against Georges, Josh Koscheck;s wrestling went straight out the window when he fought GSP, same with Jon Fitch and his unbearable pressure, Thiago Alves was the baddest striker in the division and GSP dropped him on his ass, Carlos Condit was to be the most dangerous but Georges handled him easily despite getting dropped in the middle of the fight, and the Diaz fight was a lackluster considering how waited and hyped that fight was, but Diaz;s strong sides looked very weak against GSP, like everyone elses.
He wasnt the most impressive looking fighter inside the cage, but he was easily the best under the unified rules.

Hes close. But why do people say hes perfect in every aspect when his submissions were clearly lacking?

Everyone knows submission is a dump stat when creating a super CAF.

He shut out strikeforce champs coming off some insane win streaks, guys many said would tool him. He fought guys who were terrible matchups for him and still prevailed. The strength of his schedule was ridiculous (thanks in part to WW being a great division filled with young blood and accomplished fighters)

5th round against Hendricks, He had spent most of the fight getting his ass kicked, yet he surged while Hendricks faded and gave it everything he had. Pretty badass way to end your career, snatching victory from the jaws of defeat like that.

I saw you caught he is in the top 5 all time for submission attempts but don't gloss over the fact he is also in the top 10 all time for knockdowns:)

No I know that but I just think him attempting submissions is more clear he does try to finish fights

Also isn't GSP #1 for knockdowns at WW in the UFC?

I used the word 'Practitioner' in another thread, and someone made an interesting comment on it.

That thread was questioning the best American.

With that being said, is GSP the best MMA Practitioner there's ever been?

The man reigned Welterweight, one of the more stacked divisions in UFC history. He fought power hitters, solid wrestlers, BJJ black belts, accomplished technical strikers and muay thai experts. He beat all of them.

He had no weaknesses, he could outstrike you on the feet, take you down and grapple-**** you, then whip your arm behind your head all in the same round.

Was he boring? Yes. Did I wish for him to lose in each fight I watched? Yes. Did I cheer for Hendricks like a madman? You betcha.

But when it comes down to it, boring as his style may have been, he won each and every time, minus the few losses he avenged of course. When he was grappling, wrestling and 'stalling' (for lack of better word), there is nothing that his opponent wanted more than to get up. But they couldn't.

When he hung on the outside, stepping into quick jabs and crosses, throwing long kicks to keep a smart range and land powerful strikes, there's nothing his opponents wanted more than to knock his head off. But they couldn't.

And when I watched Robbie fight Hendricks, I was entertained. But that was an ugly, sloppy fight. It lacked the finesse, the technique that made every GSP fight so impressive. It was exciting, but after the show was over it made me appreciate just how good GSP really was.

He was so insanely talented in all aspects of the sport, an all around perfect fighter. I think if you take any other fighter there's ever been, and morph them to the same weight as GSP, the man wins each and every time.

Perhaps, now that he's (potentially) retired, we can start giving him some of the credit he deserved. Without having to worry about his boring matches coming up, can we start to admit his greatness, or are we just gonna keep on sherdoggin'?

I'm not saying he's the greatest, Fedor and Silva seemed like invincible gods when they were on their streaks, in their prime. GSP always felt human, but that makes it that much more impressive. He wasn't magic, he wasn't some titan or machine. He was just a man who only knew how to win.

TL;DR:

GSP was seriously f***ing good, talented in all aspects of MMA. Hendricks v Lawler showed the talent gap in technique between WelterWeight and GSP. He's not the greatest, but perhaps he was the best? Fedor and Silva seemed invincible, GSP was just a man who knew how to win. With his technique and talent, was GSP the greatest Practitioner of MMA?

Can't say I disagree with any of this, but I am sure the diehard AS fans will.

*Cough cough Redhawks *Cough Cough

NO, the most talented mma practitioner should know how to finish fights.

It's because Dan Hardy doesn't know the meaning of tap.

:rolleyes:

He made technical mistakes with both the armbar and the kimura.

Anyways, talented is a very strange word to use regarding GSP when comparing him to Fedor, GSP, Jones.

GSP didn't have any untapped potential. We don't have any "what ifs" to speculate in regards to GSP because he pretty much did everything to near perfection in his preparation and training.

He was NOT boring and yes I do consider him the greatest mixed martial artist of all time

He was good at his skill base but his finishing capability could be better. Once you have your opponent beat you should be able to finish them.

i agree. not a fan but he has an AMAZING skill set and can mix it together amazing.

Hughes disagrees.
29D9AD0C-1422-0E8C-9AF9683CB5AFF45D.jpg

Same question. Which was a more impressive win?
Andy over Chael (first fight) or GSP over Fitch?

In that particular comparison, GSP fitch. But overall going in for the kill every fight is far more impressive than play it safe and win rounds.

However accomplish winning a lot of straight rounds is impressive too. But not at the status of best mma fighter.

In that particular comparison, GSP fitch. But overall going in for the kill every fight is far more impressive than play it safe and win rounds.

However accomplish winning a lot of straight rounds is impressive too. But not at the status of best mma fighter.

But the statement was that finishing is better than a decision.

By that logic, Mir was more impressive over CroCop than Fedor.

Back