GSP take on fighting Diaz, Hendricks & Silva

Yeah...maybe. But was he willing to fight for the championship before Machida was the champ? Silva did not want to go to LHW to fight Shogun and does not want to do the same to fight Jones. I'd say if Forrest Griffin was the champ at the time Silva fought him, he still would have gone along with the fight.

wrong.
Silva refused to fight Rua at 205 for that exact reason.
And he fought Forrest right AFTER FG lost his belt.

At that time, Forrest was supposedly to be a huge test for Silva.
remember: he had just beaten Rua AND Rampage!

Now it is easy to pick and claim Forrest was overrated. At that time? No way!

topic beaten to death... NOTHING more to add... No point arguing GSP is affraid of anything... he just want to do what is better for his career and his wallet... like anybody else

I agree with you.
You should notice I didn't make such claim.

In fact, I even pointed out this video DOES make sense and that GSP does have a point.

Silva refused to fight Rua at 205 for that exact reason.
And he fought Forrest right AFTER FG lost his belt.

And I think even if Forrest had the belt he would still have fought him if offered. I'm saying he wasn't interested in fighting Shogun and isn't interested in fighting Jones at LHW because they are tough fights. The Machida thing is a convenient justification. I would be convinced of the Machida excuse if he had used it against someone who he would be expected to beat without too much trouble. Although it won't happen, at one point Silva did mention some interest in going to 170 to fight GSP...but isn't Anderson friends with Erick Silva?

Forrest was also not much of a test. You could get Silva at -350.

Last edited:
http://www.mmamania.com/2012/12/16/3772258/video-georges-st-pierre-nick-diaz-fight-ufc-158-anderson-silva-johny-hendricks

Much has been said, I know.
And it is not that the video contains any new information on the subject.

but I do understand his point of view.

1) GSP can't fight all 3 guys.

2) Diaz - This fight makes sense NOW. God knows if Diaz would win his next fight, and then Zuffa would have lost a chance at the biggest fight GSP could be involved without going up in weight.

3) Hendricks - While I don't like GSP giving an excuse of Kos fight, it has some truth in it.
Overall, the thing is: If Hendricks is that good, he will win his next fight and maintain his status. If he's not, then there's no real point in talking like he could be the champ. I mean, that would only mean that hendricks would fight GSP, and even if he pulled that win, he'd lose his next fight against top competition, right?

4) Silva - While I personally don't agree with this "if I go up I'll stay up" excuse, I am not about to bash him for that. The time is right for Silva. But obviously it is not that pressing for GSP; and the more he waits, it's a win-win situation. If Silva loses, this (bad matchup fight) would go away. if not, Siva will be older and older, thus making this fight somewhat easier for GSP.

Thoughts?

Oh man I hate GSP already

Yeah that champ that barely got by a quickly declining Rampage and who never defended his belt, that one.

That shows how ridiculous you guys are.
That "quickly declining Rampage" was the LHW champ at the time :icon_lol:

At least you guys should KNOW you are full of crap when making those asinine comments!

I don't want to see a catchweight, and i don't think goerge wants one either.

He keeps saying when he does it it'll be at 185, for the belt presummably. Makes much more sense, why would a champion want a non championship fight?

I bet the draw would be less too on the ppv buys.

Hardcore fans wont care they'll buy anyway, but the casuals would line up for a title fight between the two in droves.

As far as anderson doing a catchweight with jines, that's just silly, he has three dang fights at 205, he could ask for the catchweight if he hadn't already fought there , but he has so it needs to be at 205 imo.

That is a STUPID point of view.
Silva is not just someone challenging the champ as you put.

he is a champ in his own right, and as such, this fight should be met in the middle as BOTH would have to move.

GSP has more to gain by beating Silva than the other way around. but only STUPID people think Silva has to go to GSP's WC to make this fight.

And invariably they are the same people who say that SIlva has to move UP to fight Jones because he is the champ too! That is blatantly going against their very point for GSP, but stupid people only say stupid things... :rolleyes:

How come it's stupid, Silva is the one asking for the fight

And no, saying anderson should drop does not go againts the point i said about gsp, in fact, it backs it up, Anderson wants to fight the WW he should drop to WW, same as jones if you want to fight the LHW, then move up

Silva is the one asking for the fights, i dont get why GSP or JBJ have to go under Silva's terms if he's the one challenging in the first place

It still baffles me that people say GSP is ducking anyone. He has faced every challenger they've thrown at him, and has beaten them all (Serra, Hughes in rematches)

Why doesn't silva go up to fight Bones? He seems content calling out the smaller GSP.

Is Silva ducking Bones? No, he's doing what's best for him. And that's what GSP is doing. Fear not, once Georges destroys Diaz, he'll do the same to Hendricks.

So in defence of Georges, you're now going to argue that the result of the Diaz fight was subjective, and should therefore not count as a loss?

Or are you just repeating what I said without actually knowing what the word means?

It equals a pound for pound status because once Georges fans like you take your heads out of your ass, you'll see that Anderson isn't beating nobodies, but great fighters.

And before we move on, by nobodies, do you mean that they're cans?

Yeah... I've heard that argument before and it comes from the same type of people.

Oh... Anderson is great, he just has to do what no fighter has ever done, and move up two weight classes from WW, to prove his potential.

You know how many weigh classes Georges has moved up? Zero.

Anderson? Two.

Yet, these fighters are held to such different standards, that you're here defending Georges for fighting against a fighter who lost his last fight, while criticizing Anderson, not for defending his title against someone who lost his last fight. Not because he hasn't moved up a weight class. Not because he hasn't moved up two weight classes. But because he's not fighting the champ two weight classes above the one he started in.

You know how ridiculous that is?

I'm going to move on because you guys are beyond delusional.
No, you will not move on....you CANT move on. :icon_lol: You will continue in this thread or the next.:icon_lol:

GSP is clearly ducking Hendricks and Silva..He is afraid to get Serra'd again.

Its impossible for him to duck Silva, unless Silva is dropping for 170. You can't duck someone not in your weight class. Unless you figure he's also ducking Aldo, Ben Henderson, Jon Jones, JDS, Overeem, and everyone not in WW.

If he doesn't fight Hendricks after this Diaz fight, then I agree he's ducking Hendricks. At this point, he's had a beef with Diaz for awhile and Hendricks is new, so he's taking them in order. Too early to say if he's ducking Hendricks.

For the record, I doubt Hendricks really believes GSP is scared of him. If he thought that, he'd wait for the fight, and wouldn't bother training for it - you don't have to train to beat someone who's scared of you, there's not much they can do to you when they're curled up in the fetal position begging for mercy. I suspect when the fight happends Hendricks will train very hard, and expect to see a very game GSP standing in front of him, not a frightened cowards.

Though I guess GSP would be hoping that Hendricks really believes GSP is scared - its always easier to fight someone who doesn't take you seriously. I remember reading that this is part of what happened to Crocop against Fedor - he'd been saying that Fedor was afraid of him for so long that he started to believe it himself, and then wasn't prepared when Fedor turned out not to be scared and pressed the action.

I suspect GSP, like Fedor at the time (and Anderson now wrt Wiedman and probably just about every fighter) is looking for the biggest payday available, rather than reacting out of fear. And I suspect Hendricks actually knows this, and is just hyping the fight. At least I hope he knows it, and isn't over confident against GSP.

Last edited:
How come it's stupid, Silva is the one asking for the fight

And no, saying anderson should drop does not go againts the point i said about gsp, in fact, it backs it up, Anderson wants to fight the WW he should drop to WW, same as jones if you want to fight the LHW, then move up

Silva is the one asking for the fights, i dont get why GSP or JBJ have to go under Silva's terms if he's the one challenging in the first place

Let me explain slowly for you to understand, since conventional LOGIC is hard for you:
Silva is not the ONLY one asking for this fight. These would be the fights of the century! The 2 biggest fights in MMA history!
3 guys that are considered P4P greats, still undefeated in their title run, still mostly in their primes and they are one weight class of each other!.

THE PUBLIC wants to see these fights
most of all, ZUFFA Wants these fights!

To claim that only Silva wants it is so dumb that it shows you have no concept of reality when it comes to defending your personal favorite!

Yes Silva is the one who said yes first! Because he is the oldest guy and the one who's been dominating the longest, and probably the one that will retire before the others. but that, by all means, does not say he is the one who ASKED for these fights!

If anything, for YEARS the GSP & Silva was asked by the fans and only now he publicly accepted it.

As for the Jones fights, BOTH FIGHTERS declined this fight for the past 2 years now!
Silva was the first one to accept.

So please, don't come here and say like Silva is the one who had this bright idea. This is something that the fans and Zuffa have asked for YEARS.
Silve was the first to accept the challenge.

It still baffles me that people say GSP is ducking anyone. He has faced every challenger they've thrown at him, and has beaten them all (Serra, Hughes in rematches)

Why doesn't silva go up to fight Bones? He seems content calling out the smaller GSP.

Is Silva ducking Bones? No, he's doing what's best for him. And that's what GSP is doing. Fear not, once Georges destroys Diaz, he'll do the same to Hendricks.

I don't think GSP is ducking anyone, at least in the connotation that he's afraid of the other two names in the conversation. I do think there's more than a little self-serving calculation going on in choosing Diaz over Hendricks or Silva though. Something I'm not happy to see considering I was never one to crap on GSP or his performances before. Again, I just don't follow his logic, especially since it's the same roundabout double standard stuff I saw straight out of the boards here before.

GSP wants Diaz because A) Diaz is the kind of person he likes to beat up and B) his bosses want Diaz, and he'll promote and fight whichever WW contender they line up.

As for Silva, it is hard to figure out why GSP isn't all that interested in a fight that benefits everyone but himself and takes focus away from his personal goals. /sarcasm

Its impossible for him to duck Silva, unless Silva is dropping for 170. You can't duck someone not in your weight class. Unless you figure he's also ducking Aldo, Ben Henderson, Jon Jones, JDS, Overeem, and everyone not in WW.

If he doesn't fight Hendricks after this Diaz fight, then I agree he's ducking Hendricks. At this point, he's had a beef with Diaz for awhile and Hendricks is new, so he's taking them in order. Too early to say if he's ducking Hendricks.

For the record, I doubt Hendricks really believes GSP is scared of him. If he thought that, he'd wait for the fight, and wouldn't bother training for it - you don't have to train to beat someone who's scared of you, there's not much they can do to you when they're curled up in the fetal position begging for mercy. I suspect when the fight happends Hendricks will train very hard, and expect to see a very game GSP standing in front of him, not a frightened cowards.

Though I guess GSP would be hoping that Hendricks really believes GSP is scared - its always easier to fight someone who doesn't take you seriously. I remember reading that this is part of what happened to Crocop against Fedor - he'd been saying that Fedor was afraid of him for so long that he started to believe it himself, and then wasn't prepared when Fedor turned out not to be scared and pressed the action.

I suspect GSP, like Fedor at the time (and Anderson now wrt Wiedman and probably just about every fighter) is looking for the biggest payday available, rather than reacting out of fear. And I suspect Hendricks actually knows this, and is just hyping the fight. At least I hope he knows it, and isn't over confident against GSP.

WHile I disagree with you it is impossible to duck someone not in your WC, I do agree with your point of GSP not being afraid to face anyone.

But He is ducking if he never say yes or no to the fight (with Silva).
Look, this is not your typical fight withing your WC.
It is a Champion's fight
It is a P4P fight

IMO GSP can say No and end all speculation. I wouldn't call it ducking, I would say it is simply not in GSP's best interest (even if it is for Silva & Zuffa). GSP is the biggest fighter in terms of contracts OUTSIDE UFC, and why risk his money by taking a fight against Silva?

But if he does not say no, keeps pushing it off until Silva either loses or gets tired of waiting and go face Jones (which would kill any talk for Silva & GSP), then ultimately he ducked Silva. because Silva said yes. And GSP is the only one who said no to this fight.

GSP is clearly ducking Hendricks and Silva..He is afraid to get Serra'd again.

There are like 5 guys that want a crack at GSP at WW right now.. It is a shame that Silva is so bored at MW he wants a piece of a WW yet he won't fight the man at 205..

There are like 5 guys that want a crack at GSP at WW right now.. It is a shame that Silva is so bored at MW he wants a piece of a WW yet he won't fight the man at 205..

it is so sad that your best hope to beat Silva is a guy with a total of 9 fights in MMA, yet you treat like he's coming off a 5 years of dominance!

I find it highly annoying that he says things like "I'll fight him, but only when the time is right. It's not the right time yet.".....Well George, when is the right time gonna be? 3 years from now when Silva is over 40 and ready to retire? The right time for George may be a bad time for Silva. There has to be some compromise on the situation. He keeps talking about once he moves to middleweight he won't come back down to 170.....the fight was talked about taking place at a catchweight, so I don't understand why he is using the middleweight move as an excuse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F5CHAMPIONSHIP
Back