Media GSP putting an end to a 16 - fight win streak

Bullshit.

Look it up, he fought complete jabronis who couldn't wrestle save for Mike Pierce. Johny Hendricks cartoonishly knocked him out, a shot BJ Penn took him down and took his back and Maia just straight up dominated him.

Hell even Josh Burkman tapped him.

Georges had an easy time with Fitch because it wasn't a fight, it was as Rogan said "looks like target practice."
Wow, didn't realize the Fitch haters were still around.

You can keep talking that bullshit but facts are facts. Fitch beat everyone that wasn't GSP over the course of about 25 fights.

Honestly, fuck off.

Reactions: lsa
Wow, didn't realize the Fitch haters were still around.

You can keep talking that bullshit but facts are facts. Fitch beat everyone that wasn't GSP over the course of about 25 fights.

Honestly, fuck off.

That is factually incorrect. He didn't even regularly beat top 10 ranked opponents and flat out refused to fight Koscheck, who was ranked ahead of him.

Koscheck beat Sanchez, then Fitch beat him ... next.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Matt Hughes putting an end to a 7-fight win streak.

Matt Serra putting an end to a 6-fight win streak.

648453bbcb4f23a2de93d965c3c8a353.gif

GSP+tapping+to+Strikes.gif

Johny Hendricks putting an end to a champ's career at welterweight, forcing him to retire from the division instead of rematching.

url

tumblr_mweqcz57mN1qaa8d1o5_r1_250.gif

url

url

LMAO at these kind of posts. GSP lives rent free in the heads of the poor haters; who would even waste the time to put something like this together unless you had a major chip on your soldier? lol the way people expose themselves without even knowing it.

Very good win by GSP.

Obviously a top 5 fighter, but I just don't get how he's "universally" considered the goat now?

Even during his best years he wasn't on the level of Fedor or Andy, and nearly everyone was in agreement about it. But yea not trying to downplay this win, it was a big win for the division. At the time, it really seemed like Fitch had a shot, then GSP takes him down at the start and it turns into domination.

Even though GSP fights weren't always the most exciting, I still remember watching each one and feeling the hype, good times. GSP was just 27 at this time as well, a bonafide veteran champion with years ahead of him.

Johny Hendricks putting an end to a champ's career at welterweight, forcing him to retire from the division instead of rematching.

url

url

url

I just checked his record and he has wins over every other ne of them.. HAH!

A lot of GSP's opponents had padded records. This is one of them.

Just because you don't know their names doesn't mean theyre padded opponents. WW was stacked, a top 15 wins at WW was against more competitive opposition than a top 5 win a LHW or MW.

Very good win by GSP.

Obviously a top 5 fighter, but I just don't get how he's "universally" considered the goat now?

Even during his best years he wasn't on the level of Fedor or Andy, and nearly everyone was in agreement about it. But yea not trying to downplay this win, it was a big win for the division. At the time, it really seemed like Fitch had a shot, then GSP takes him down at the start and it turns into domination.

Even though GSP fights weren't always the most exciting, I still remember watching each one and feeling the hype, good times. GSP was just 27 at this time as well, a bonafide veteran champion with years ahead of him.

Oh really?

You weren't even on sherdog back then.

Oh really?
Yep, I mean it's not even debatable.

He was never #1 PFP except for a short time in 2013 if I remember correctly.

Throughout his entire prime either Fedor, Andy, or Bones where ahead of him in public opinion, or just flat out rankings. That's not opinion or disparagement, it's just 100% a fact.

You wouldn't verbally attack me for stating a fact, would you?

You weren't even on sherdog back then.

Sherdog isn't the only MMA forum ya know, before making this account, I spent time across the web on several different forums. Almost everyone considered GSP top 5, but not #1, and some years not top 3 until after Fedor lost to Werdum, most people who were watching the sport back then wouldn't disagree with this, it was just common place.

It's like if GSP lost to Khabib, would I knock his resume or career because he lost years removed from his best? Nope. But it's pretty common in combat sports for great fighters to get knocked down some pegs when they lose in their late 30's and 40's, which I always found silly. As no matter how great you were, if you keep fighting you'll start losing.

But even if you didn't believe that, you can just read the media reports, rankings, articles, from all of those years. 2006-2007-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012, I'm just saying it's a fact.

Last edited:
He didn't even regularly beat top 10 ranked opponents and flat out refused to fight Koscheck, who was ranked ahead of him.
If fights didn't happen, pretty sure it was becaues the UFC wasn't matching Fitch up with guys they wanted to fight for the belt. And how are you going to knock a fighter for not fighting their teammate?

url

url

url

Who hurt you? The fact that you put that much time and effort into hating someone (who is clearly great, an even better ambassador for MMA in general) just shows how dog shit of a person you are.

From one post alone, you can tell you're a miserable fuck.

Reactions: lsa
This fight is what proved GSP to be mentally tough and wouldn't crack under pressure again.

It should be higher up on his resume as the GOAT. Very few fighters can claim they beat someone on a 16-fight streak.

No. Fitch didn't do shit the whole fight. GSP literally beat the hell out of him. The Condit fight showed how tough GSP was.

If fights didn't happen, pretty sure it was becaues the UFC wasn't matching Fitch up with guys they wanted to fight for the belt. And how are you going to knock a fighter for not fighting their teammate?

The UFC / Dana publicly stated Fitch and Koscheck should have a title eliminator. Fitch famously said "if that needs to happen, it'll be behind closed doors in the gym" to which Dana sarcastically replied "yeah, that will make a lot of money."

This was all out in the open stuff, google it if you'd like to go down memory lane.

Either way, Fitch generally had a very light strength of schedule and his big win was a split decision over Diego - who Koshcheck had literally beaten in his previous fight.

Georges casually beat the dogshit out of Fitch because they were miles apart. The nutty concept that Fitch beats anyone not named GSP became a running joke once he had to actually fight his peers. Hendricks straight up bodied him in the first round, a totally shot BJ Penn took his back, Maia dominated him etc.

The UFC / Dana publicly stated Fitch and Koscheck should have a title eliminator. Fitch famously said "if that needs to happen, it'll be behind closed doors in the gym" to which Dana sarcastically replied "yeah, that will make a lot of money."
Again, teammates and close training partners. Are you really going to give a fighter shit over be willing to face every fighter in the division but 1 (technically 2) guys because they are team mates?
Either way, Fitch generally had a very light strength of schedule and his big win was a split decision over Diego - who Koshcheck had literally beaten in his previous fight.
Lighter before his first title shot but who else was avaiable or had a better claim? Not to mention his resume over all is pretty good.
Hendricks straight up bodied him in the first round, a totally shot BJ Penn took his back, Maia dominated him etc.
Yeah, a loss to a future champ when he allegedly had a torn ACL, a comeback win over BJ where he got jobbed, and then losing to one of the best grapplers of all time. Oh, the horror. I don't think anyone is going to say he's a top 5 WW all time, but pretty clearly in the top 10 resume and eye test wise, and he would be a tough out in any era of the division.

Nice rewriting of history you tried there, but everybody knows who's hand was raised at the end of the fight.

Keep crying 8 years later.

I can't believe it has been that long already. I remember watching that 1 at the bar.

big deal jon put and end to bader , cormier , glover , reyes unbeaten streaks

Again, teammates and close training partners. Are you really going to give a fighter shit over be willing to face every fighter in the division but 1 (technically 2) guys because they are team mates?

No, I have no idea what you're talking about. I was responding to the absurd notion, and I quote verbatim, that "Jon Fitch beats every welterweight not named GSP."

Of course he couldn't. He didn't, and he had it pretty easy. His best career win is a split decision over Diego Sanchez, who Koscheck had LITERALLY just beat in his immediately prior fight. Sanchez would then drop down to lightweight.

Not to mention his resume over all is pretty good.

It is a fair to midland resume. He generally beat the unranked guys, and got smashed by his top ranked peers. He is lucky he never had to fight guys like Koscheck in the first place.

a comeback win over BJ where he got jobbed

It was a majority draw against a future featherweight who weighed in with jeans and a belt (look it up, literally) at 168lbs. When both guys were fresh, Penn dominated him. He pressed him up against the cage, straight up dumped him then took his back... twice.

and then losing to one of the best grapplers of all time.

Virtually every other single elite wrestler walked through Maia. Woodley, Covington, Usman. MacDonald and Shields also beat him. Jon Fitch is the lonely guy of the grappling based fighters who couldn't beat him, and he was legitimately dominated.

There is no version of Jon Fitch that ever walked the earth that beats guys like Hendricks and Maia, and he never had to face other contemporaries of his era like Koscheck.

Prime Fitch would mop the floor with Usman.
no, mma is a young sport and evolves very quickly. prime champs from 10 years ago wouldn't stand a chance today. better training and better understanding of what wins fights.

Saying anything else us merely nostalgia. Boxing is slightly different as it's established much longer and has more money for fighters so the evolution has slowed down greatly

This fight is what proved GSP to be mentally tough and wouldn't crack under pressure again.

It should be higher up on his resume as the GOAT. Very few fighters can claim they beat someone on a 16-fight streak.
Nate did it too

Yep, I mean it's not even debatable.

He was never #1 PFP except for a short time in 2013 if I remember correctly.

Throughout his entire prime either Fedor, Andy, or Bones where ahead of him in public opinion, or just flat out rankings. That's not opinion or disparagement, it's just 100% a fact.

You wouldn't verbally attack me for stating a fact, would you?

Sherdog isn't the only MMA forum ya know, before making this account, I spent time across the web on several different forums. Almost everyone considered GSP top 5, but not #1, and some years not top 3 until after Fedor lost to Werdum, most people who were watching the sport back then wouldn't disagree with this, it was just common place.

It's like if GSP lost to Khabib, would I knock his resume or career because he lost years removed from his best? Nope. But it's pretty common in combat sports for great fighters to get knocked down some pegs when they lose in their late 30's and 40's, which I always found silly. As no matter how great you were, if you keep fighting you'll start losing.

But even if you didn't believe that, you can just read the media reports, rankings, articles, from all of those years. 2006-2007-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012, I'm just saying it's a fact.

Ahhh yeah the good old "I wasn't on sherdog but i was watching mma and active on other forums..." A classic :p

If you knew your shit you'd know p4p number 1 spot was extremely debated and when GSP won a fight he was number 1 then Silva won and he was number 1 and then when Fedor won he was number 1 and then GSP won his next fight he was number 1 and then it was Silva and on and on. Fact is all 3 were winning. Fact is GSP was winning against better competition. All the medias agreed on that, but the on reason Silva and Fedor were in the discussion was because they were more exciting.

Back