GSP: MMA is a business & we are entertainers first (people need to understand)

I honestly think if GSP was American, he wouldn't have sold half of the PPVs that he did throughout his career. Americans simply don't support their own like the Canadians do (because demographics are far more varied), and GSP was the first huge name in the sport from that area so it makes sense why they latched onto him, hence why he was such a draw.

Still, nobody makes better decisions in and out of the cage than GSP.
Americas is a mix of everyone from everywhere
Hard to get that same nation loyalty (when people are from everywhere) & when you do, there are usually issues by people
It's not because we're diverse that we don't support our own. It's because of our diversity that we don't have to.

It's because Americans are the best at almost everything but soccer; science, space, math, Olympics, chess -- you name it, the best in the world have almost always been American during my lifetime. And we have the best at these things because of our diversity. Our best athletes (eg -- DC and Jones) are black. Our best scientists are Jewish and Asian immigrants. Etc. We have so many great people at so many great things that Americans can pick and choose who we like. Other countries have to take what they can get and so they latch on it to anyone know matter how boring they are or no matter how obscure the sport. If you're a Canadian MMA fan, GSP was all you had. If you're Canadian and not an MMA fan but wanted to be a fan of a world champion athlete, UFC was one of the only sports to choose from. So, GSP became a Canadian national icon.

I'm not going to like someone whos' a world champion athlete but happens to be American just because he's American; there's already 100+ other American dudes who are the best in the world at what they are. That alone doesn't make you anything special in America.

It's not because we're diverse that we don't support our own. It's because of our diversity that we don't have to.

It's because Americans are the best at almost everything but soccer; science, space, math, Olympics, chess -- you name it, the best in the world have almost always been American during my lifetime. And we have the best at these things because of our diversity. Our best athletes (eg -- DC and Jones) are black. Our best scientists are Jewish and Asian immigrants. Etc. We have so many great people at so many great things that Americans can pick and choose who we like. Other countries have to take what they can get and so they latch on it to anyone know matter how boring they are or no matter how obscure the sport. If you're a Canadian MMA fan, GSP was all you had. If you're Canadian and not an MMA fan but wanted to be a fan of a world champion athlete, UFC was one of the only sports to choose from. So, GSP became a Canadian national icon.

I'm not going to like someone whos' a world champion athlete but happens to be American just because he's American; there's already 100+ other American dudes who are the best in the world at what they are. That alone doesn't make you anything special in America.

I agree
But that is part of
The tend to "feel good" about someone from your nation is tied into all of that
But if you look at anytime there is a World Cup, America is certainly divided much more by "country".

Last edited:
Respectable insight as usual from you
But I disagree with the last part

The majority of the people that don't think it is a "sport" are the fans that tend to 'hate-watch'.
Not all, but the complainers on places like here are the loudest.

most casuals or people that are not Sherdoggers think of it as a sport

i'm a fan and i think it's not a sport, not anymore.

in sports, it doesn't matter how entertaining you are or how popular you are, all that matters is you WIN.

in MMA, this is not the case. and for me the biggest reason why is because the UFC unabashedly biased to certain fighters.

there is no other sport where certain teams or people get special treatment. you know why? because the integrity of the sport is more important than a single person or team. that's why the NFL give guys like Terrell Owens, Ray Rice, Plaxico Burress and a ton of other guys the boot to the curb.

these aren't nobody bench warmers, these are high level players that people know. and they still give them the boot.

BUT i also don't really care that it's not a sport anymore, because i'm from the PrideFC days and the only thing i really care about is quality fights.

When u have to convince people to pay 60
Plus bucks to view something for maybe 72 Hours only . U don’t even get to own the ppv that’s a damn bussiness . Where else do u spend 60 dollars and u can’t own the shit . So yeah I want blood, high pace, destructive Combat . I swear every fighter from 2000-till 2010 would say “I’m in the Best shape of my life , ready to go respect to my opponent “ that hypes no one !!!

Serra beat the entertainment out of GSP. Silva was the greatest entertainer-fighter the UFC ever had and GSP wanted no part of him.

Don't want to hear it, lol.

but gsp tells at the same time that the peformance in this sport is importand as well.

In another thread last week, a member argues with me that GSP did not know how to sell his brand because he did not trash talk.
i explained you don't have to be Chael or Conor to be a smart businessman

This video he explains it in his own words.

Remember the exact definition of "sport" is ...

sport
spôrt/
noun
noun: sport; plural noun: sports
an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

@LouisBolanos

He doesn’t know how to sell his brand.
It sold itself based on conditions unrelated to his behavior.
Being amazing in the cage helped too.

In another thread last week, a member argues with me that GSP did not know how to sell his brand because he did not trash talk.
i explained you don't have to be Chael or Conor to be a smart businessman

This video he explains it in his own words.

Remember the exact definition of "sport" is ...

sport
spôrt/
noun
noun: sport; plural noun: sports
an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

@LouisBolanos

Where is this "exact" definition coming from ? Pretty sure there should be a part of everybody following the same rules

My experience @FrankieNYC consistently gives information proven to be accurate and a constant why I lurked and signed up about a year ago.
Canadians do not have the same level of immigration and cultural diversity as United States has.
I believe in your rush to attack, you jumped the proverbial gun.

Try going to Canada and actually seeing for yourself lmao

Overall as a nation we might not, But most of GSP's fans are in Ontario and Quebec--Ontario being one of the most diverse places in the world.

This one talks about rules https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/sport#dataset-cald4 which makes sense since without rules you couldn't organize any sport.
And clearly in MMA everybody isn't following the same "rules" when getting titleshots or fights they want.

The game/contest has the same rules. That is the reference to the actual "competition"

a game, competition, or similar activity, done for enjoyment or as a job, that takes physical effort and skill and is played or done by following particular rules:

So ? All sports have/should have an element of competition, therefore rules..

You are not understanding
The link you gave had to do with the "competition" (rules)
Not governing body/organization/league

Sport by definition is entertainment

Serra beat the entertainment out of GSP. Silva was the greatest entertainer-fighter the UFC ever had and GSP wanted no part of him.

Don't want to hear it, lol.
Actually, No Rush was already like that much b4 the Serra fight...

If you have a close look at No Rush vs BJ 1, you´ll see a potentially outclassed [clearly on the feet, but also on the ground where he technically did nuthin substancial] fighter playin´ it safe and takin´advantage of the UFC Scoring Ideology.

IMO, the BJ 1 fight is much more problematic for his legacy than the Serra KO...

Actually, No Rush was already like that much b4 the Serra fight, this narrative is a lil bit overrated...

If you have a close look at No Rush vs BJ 1, you´ll see a potentially outclassed [clearly on the feet, but also on the ground where he technically did nuthin substancial] fighter playin´ it safe and takin´advantage of the UFC Scoring Ideology.
I'd offer to rewatch his fights but oh my God I can't sit around taking naps all day.

Back