GSP: MMA is a business & we are entertainers first (people need to understand)

yeah I wonder how much he would sell if he were american... because let's be honest, he wasn't the most exciting guy out there. but he was one of the GOATs

He is brilliant at marketing himself & branding
He would at least be at the Jones level (next level down from GSP)

one of THE most boring fighters in UFC history : "we're entertainers first"

GSP's most entertaining fights are when he's getting his ass kicked.

the guy is great and all, but he's boring. just like Floyd, there's no denying Floyd's greatness, but he sells fights with his mouth, not with his fists. GSP sells fights with his nationality and his winning record, not his entertaining fighting style.

Any fighter that feels entitled to Conor treatment just because he is a good fighter is a dummy.

This sport is built on characters. Chuck, Rampage, Wanderlei, Tito, etc were full of personality. Being a good fighter is half of what makes you a successful MMA fighter, imo.

Have you been away from SD for the past 5 years?
There are numerous threads/post daily how MMA is not a sport (they way it is presented) because it focuses on "entertainment"

I think people say that because of how the UFC presents themselves and how they run the organisation. Sadly it's the UFC that represents MMA now and all they've done is put the sport's name and image through mud.

In other sports participants conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner, before, during and after competition. There's a clearly defined criteria in determining who's the best through competition.

Whereas in MMA it's presented like WWE or a trashy reality show. The fighters themselves act like a bunch of uneducated thugs. Add to the retard level fan base attracting the absolute low of society.
More than that is because of how the UFC is run.
The UFC hands title shots and interim belts out like candy. To anyone they please or "because business".
There's no clear concept on what determines who's the best, what the rankings are or who gets a TS when. A non-athletic middle aged actor can "fight" as long as he's knows someone. Someone who hasn't won a fight in a decade can get a HW title shot if he knows someone.

Of course what the fighters do in the cage qualifies as a sport and deserves respect. But this is why outsiders don't perceive it as a sport, more of a joke.

Last edited:
Of course what the fighters do in the cage qualifies as a sport and deserves respect. But this is why outsiders don't perceive it as a sport, more of a joke.

Respectable insight as usual from you
But I disagree with the last part

The majority of the people that don't think it is a "sport" are the fans that tend to 'hate-watch'.
Not all, but the complainers on places like here are the loudest.

most casuals or people that are not Sherdoggers think of it as a sport

Any fighter that feels entitled to Conor treatment just because he is a good fighter is a dummy.

This sport is built on characters. Chuck, Rampage, Wanderlei, Tito, etc were full of personality. Being a good fighter is half of what makes you a successful MMA fighter, imo.

Its like every business
You can be a great chef, but if you suck at branding & marketing & doing the right things for your career (to optimize it) you will have a lot less chances at success.

The Rock is far from a great actor, but he is the highest paid.

But like I point out about GSP, you don't have to be a loud-mouth to earn.
Derek Jeter was mild-mannered & famously hated press. He did what was needed & built a brand on things like respect, hard-work & his brand was huge
A-Rod on the same team was the anti-Jeter & did it his way

GSP is a very smart man

Shut up and dance Frenchy

yPrTsx.gif

This thread once again proves frankieNYC has no idea what he's talking about

Americas is a mix of everyone from everywhere
Hard to get that same nation loyalty (when people are from everywhere) & when you do, there are usually issues by people

saying that GSP had canadians rally behind him because Canada is more homogenous is a joke. Quebec and Ontario specifically are where most of GSP's fans lie, and they are wildly different places. Ontario is a multicultural province that's capital has a massive mix of trinis, indians, chinese, koreans, Egyptians, etc. You name a country and I've met multiple people from it just in the places where I grew up.

Quebec is diverse but still largely culturally COMPLETELY different from the rest of Canada.

When GSP fought Bisping, everybody of every ethnicity was interested in him, because even though Canada is ethnically diverse, we maintained our identity as "Canadian". The viewing party at my house had a jamaican, me (an egyptian), my neighbours from trinidad, and my friend from India.

that definition is wrong, something doesnt have to be for entertainment to be considered a sport

Well, that goes without saying. Also you don’t need everyone to be a heel you just need charisma.

Well, of course it's entertainment for the fans, but people mean for the sport in how it's run. 'Real' sports do not put the entertainment of the fans first, they put the spirit of being legitimate competition and seeing who is the best first.

I honestly think if GSP was American, he wouldn't have sold half of the PPVs that he did throughout his career. Americans simply don't support their own like the Canadians do (because demographics are far more varied), and GSP was the first huge name in the sport from that area so it makes sense why they latched onto him, hence why he was such a draw.

Still, nobody makes better decisions in and out of the cage than GSP.

Exactly. Same with Conor being Irish - Irish fans will jump on a bandwagon quicker than we eat our potatoes. Then there's the Irish in America, Irish-Americans and Irish living in different parts of the world.

I'd say Irish and UK fans are the best for travelling to high profile sporting events/worst for jumping on the bandwagon.

Miocic and Cleveland is a fighter/place that comes to mind when thinking of an American who could be someone their home state could get behind. The card with Overeem was one of the best American crowds in terms of noise and support and I remember when Matt Hammil fought there a few years back the crowd was chanting or singing some College Football song? There felt like a buzz at both events.

I think if a Fitch was Canadian the UFC would have given him more opportunities and definitely a 2nd title shot, but there was the whole image rights thing for the UFC game and not wanting to fight Koscheck that must've put him on Dana's bad side.

Its like every business
You can be a great chef, but if you suck at branding & marketing & doing the right things for your career (to optimize it) you will have a lot less chances at success.

The Rock is far from a great actor, but he is the highest paid.

But like I point out about GSP, you don't have to be a loud-mouth to earn.
Derek Jeter was mild-mannered & famously hated press. He did what was needed & built a brand on things like respect, hard-work & his brand was huge
A-Rod on the same team was the anti-Jeter & did it his way

GSP is a very smart man

<bball1>

walking tall & san andreas ftw.

He isnt the most skilled actor, but far from a great actor? lol gtfo

if he is in the right movies, he is really good.

But he is an action star and he cant change that, but he is incredibly good at being an action star.
AhG.gif

This thread once again proves frankieNYC has no idea what he's talking about

My experience @FrankieNYC consistently gives information proven to be accurate and a constant why I lurked and signed up about a year ago.
Canadians do not have the same level of immigration and cultural diversity as United States has.
I believe in your rush to attack, you jumped the proverbial gun.

In another thread last week, a member argues with me that GSP did not know how to sell his brand because he did not trash talk.

What does that even mean compared to a fighter? Sell a few t-shirts or turn up to autograph sessions. I could see a sports team being a brand - signing a player who will bring in merchandise, sell tickets and get the half and half fans to turn up more.

I think people who call fighting more entertainment nowadays are seeing fighters being more outspoken and they seem to use the word entertainment as if it's a dirty word to associate with Martial Arts. I assume when we all started watching MMA and getting to know the fighters, we watched it because the fights were enjoyable, you didn't know who was going to win and just last weekend; Johnson lost. It hasn't had the impact you'd expect probably because it was a close fight, but if Cejudo had KO'd or dominated him it would have got fans attention more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back