GSP: "It was very low-class of me to say 'I'm not impressed by your performance'"

wowspare

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/1/9...lls-classic-hughes-comment-classless-mma-news

"I'm not impressed by your performance." If you've been an MMA fan, even over just the past half decade, you no doubt know exactly what these words mean, and where they come from. Then welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre uttered them at UFC 63 all the way back in 2006. They came, following Matt Hughes' second title defense, in his second reign as UFC champion. It was an iconic moment in the rise of GSP, as he would go on to face Matt Hughes for the second time, and this time win the belt and start his own era as the most dominant welterweight champion in UFC history. Fond memories for anyone... except maybe GSP.

In the recent fight pass mini-documentary, Fightography: Georges St. Pierre, GSP reflected on his callout of Matt Hughes, and his words for himself, were less than kind. (transcription via MMAJunkie)

"It's not my style to go in, and it was very low-class from my part to go in there and ruin his celebration," St-Pierre admits in the newest edition of "Fightography" on UFC Fight Pass."
"I thought he was talking smack about me," St-Pierre said. "Now I look at it, and it makes me laugh."

As GSP went on to explain, he hadn't been paying attention to Hughes' post fight speech, and when the UFC called him into the Octagon, he assumed it had been because Hughes was calling him out. So, GSP responded in kind and MMA got one of it's most iconic post fight moments.

"I'm not impressed by my own performance"

can't start new threads.. borrowing this thread :D

From what I remember GSP said that Dana & Co. forced him into the cage to talk shit to Hughes to drum up some drama for their fight. He shouldn't be taking the heat for this.

Kinda funny that one of the most forced, awkward, harmless, and non-offensive "call outs" in UFC history is still being talked about almost 10 years later. Even funnier that GSP has legitimately apologized numerous times.

Sometimes it shocks me that GSP hit people for a living. At the time, it seemed pretty obvious that the UFC pressured him into that, and it was really half-assed.

A case of trash talk gone too far.

I loved this iconic moment. Hughes had talked smack to GSP for months TUF and this moment was foreshadowing to the two serious beat downs GSP laid on Matt U's.

Lmao one of my fave trash talking moments. It's hilarious how this line only meant something just cause its from GSP.

can't start new threads.. borrowing this thread :D

Low class.

I'm not surprised to hear GSP say this- he does seem to be a very polite guy. But thank god he did say it.

GSP is so awesome that he barely has to say anything to hype a fight and this line had run wild for 9 years.

Its probably the phrase I hear the most often considering its my ringtone for notifications/texts on my phone.

not very classy indeed but one of the greatest UFC quotes in history.

Sometimes it shocks me that GSP hit people for a living. At the time, it seemed pretty obvious that the UFC pressured him into that, and it was really half-assed.

I think it shocks all of us. And we get doubly shocked, when we look at this guy and how passively he conducts himself on a daily basis, when re remember just how long we went competing in ultimate fighting at the highest level without so much as losing one round and winning rounds repeatedly by 10-8 margins.

Back