1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

GSP in GOAT convo but not clear cut GOAT

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by LOLWOWgetWAXED, Feb 21, 2019.

1. LOLWOWgetWAXED

LOLWOWgetWAXED Dana Gang

His resume and streak is on par with Jones, Anderson, Fedor. Yes GSP has less losses and blemishes on his career than those 3. However, GSP isn't regarded like MJ, Gretzky, Tiger of MMA because he left doubt in peoples mind. Could Woodley have beat him? How about Khabib? Before anyone says b-b-b-ut he's not prime GSP, GOATs take risks. GSP wasn't some slow old man, he even said in his retirement speech "takes a lot of discipline to leave at the top". Yes he's at the top but there is viable opposition available.
    With someone like MJ for example, it's pretty much unanimous across Bball that if given equal teams, no one is getting past MJ in the finals. Lebron's close and in many eyes is more talented but most NBA viewers agree MJ is more accomplished still.
    GSP is in GOAT convo, but not clear cut GOAT.

PurpleStorm likes this.
  2. TheToqueville

TheToqueville Blue Belt

In terms of accomplishments, the objective, non nuthugging list is:

1. Jones, Fedor, Silva - Noone has done what they've done.
    2. DC - ( fought in 2 weight classes multiple times ,dominated both, and only lost to one of the top GOATS.
    3. GSP ( More finishes and less cherry picking would have put him higher)
    4. Aldo, MM

3. Elysianwing

Elysianwing Mr. Mojo Risin' Belt

I'd favor GSP in both of those fights, prime or not.

4. Char Jawz

Char Jawz Transparent Belt

Until someone goes 60-0 and retires undefeated after a glorious 15-20 year run, I refuse to play the GOAT game. But GSP was pretty damn good and avenged both losses. He's on the Mount Rushmore of MMA as it stands right now.

5. csufwrestler

csufwrestler Purple Belt

But how can we live without your goat pick! Please, reconsider!

Calipwnia and LOLWOWgetWAXED like this.
  6. Jackonfire

Jackonfire Senior Modulator Staff Member Senior Moderator

GSP is the WW GOAT not doubt. I mean, his run was at a different time, but it will be hard to surpass.

Koimpact and PurpleStorm like this.
  7. Char Jawz

Char Jawz Transparent Belt

I like to keep it open-ended. Guys like Fedor, GSP, Spider were all great in their own way, but I can't put one above the other. I don't have a legitimate argument for any of them individually, so I can't fake it.

8. Croton

Croton Green Belt

There will never be a clear cut GOAT.

9. CroKosor

CroKosor aSteroid Belt

10. Morning Star

Morning Star Black Belt

Ducked Hendricks rematch and Silva.

11. PurpleStorm

PurpleStorm Purple Belt

That sounds about right. There's no general consensus of goat for mma. As an aside GSP said today the one who inspired him most was Hoyce Gracie.

AyDeeDee and LOLWOWgetWAXED like this.
  12. LOLWOWgetWAXED

LOLWOWgetWAXED Dana Gang

this is exactly what i mean. he did enough to enter the convo but not dominate it. Too many questions left unanswered..could he have defended MW title? Hendricks rematch? Woodley? Khabib?

13. AndersonSilva23

AndersonSilva23 White Belt

A. Silva and Jones have hurt their legacy with PED use and Fedor fell of a cliff losing back to back to back Vs Bigfoot, Werdum and Hendo in his prime. There was a legitimate argument before but the aforementioned 3 hurt their stock while GSP raised his by coming out of retirement to capture the MW crown pretty much cementing himself as the Greatest of All Time.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  14. LockardTheGOAT

LockardTheGOAT Sherdog's Intellectual Savior

GSP is the closest thing we have to a GOAT (as disappointing as that is.) 26-2, avenged both of his losses (meaning there's no one who can say they beat George that he can't say the very same thing about), champion in two weight classes, record number of title defenses at Welterweight, probably the largest quantity of one-sided fights you'd find, especially against high-ranked opponents.

He doesn't have to beat every available fighter that exists to claim that title. It's a misguided criticism anyway, because he's angling for a fight against one of the most unbeatable fighters in the game right now (Khabib at Lightweight) and looking to become the first ever champion in three weight divisions.

15. CroKosor

CroKosor aSteroid Belt

Man I really wanted that Hendricks rematch... but BigPig has fallen so low these days it's actually fascinating.
    Joe Rogan says he was on steroids so I choose to believe that... also, IV abuser to fight healthy at his unnatural Wweight.

To me this is the only smirch on GSPs legacy, and I would'ave loved that he got it back before it was to late...
    [​IMG]

16. timoteo

timoteo Purple Belt

lol that definitely sounds like a nuthugging list. how is anderson silva above gsp in anyway? dc above gsp?!?!?! fucking lol! fedor above gsp iskind of dumb but it is close. Jones is arguably above gsp though cause hes never been beaten.

LOLWOWgetWAXED likes this.