GSP: "I am learning from Benson Henderson. He showed me the blueprint"

So.., GSP is basically saying he's going to wrestle Diaz into a decision win?

its gonna be harder for gsp because hes orthodox and benson is southpaw(or did he keep switching stances??) so that chopping rear kick will land on the inside, while with nate it lands on the outside knocking him down to the floor...

GSP isn't as reckless or dynamic as Benson.

GSP's gameplan is always the same. ALWAYS. Take a guy down and NEVER under any circumstances, posture up. Try to pass guard sometimes, throw some strikes to avoid getting stood up, look at the clock, when there's 5 seconds left, go for a leg lock you have no intention of finishing, but just want to try it to help the judges score the round for you.

Georges WILL beat up Diaz on the feet

I know you're Canadian, and probably very young, but try looking at things logically and without bias.

Nick holds every advantage GSP in the striking department. Add to that the fact that GSP never commits to his striking and only uses it as a way to set up his takedowns, it's difficult to see how GSP is going to beat Diaz up on the feet, other than being biased and hoping something is going to happen.

I don't see GSP taking Nick's legs away like Bendo took away Nate's. At least not nearly as quickly.

The blueprint, to Condit fans approval, is the running man tactic.

LOL at GSP running from Diaz. Unlike Condit, GSP has amazing TDs, so he won't have to run. He'll take Diaz down and beat the hell out of him for as many rounds as it takes, and if 5 isn't long enough for the KO then he'll win a UD. I think it will be exciting since Diaz is so dangerous off his back, but Condit is no slouch in the BJJ department and he couldn't get anything going. This is a horrible matchup for Diaz...he doesn't have one punch KO power and GSP isn't going to sit there and get hit by 100 shots until he goes down, and he's a better all around grappler than Diaz who won't make stupid mistakes in the guard and give up a sub. I just don't see a way Diaz wins this, barring a really uncharacteristic mistake from GSP.

Yeah...

Does anyone actually believe that if Georges ends up in Nicks guard, that he's going to posture up to do the same kind of damage Benson did.

I know you're Canadian, and probably very young, but try looking at things logically and without bias.

Nick holds every advantage GSP in the striking department. Add to that the fact that GSP never commits to his striking and only uses it as a way to set up his takedowns, it's difficult to see how GSP is going to beat Diaz up on the feet, other than being biased and hoping something is going to happen.

GSP is faster, more technical and has better kicks.

GSP isn't as reckless or dynamic as Benson.

GSP's gameplan is always the same. ALWAYS. Take a guy down and NEVER under any circumstances, posture up. Try to pass guard sometimes, throw some strikes to avoid getting stood up, look at the clock, when there's 5 seconds left, go for a leg lock you have no intention of finishing, but just want to try it to help the judges score the round for you.

Do you even watch his fights? In the Condit fight he was dropping bombs the whole time, mostly from half guard, and he never went for a leg lock. I think his strategy is:

1. Throw some strikes to set up the TD
2. Get the TD
3. Get to half guard or side control
4. Beat the hell out of the guy until you knock him out or the round ends
5. Repeat

It's not always the most impressive, but that was pretty much Tito Ortiz's strategy during his prime, Matt Hughes' when he was winning...pretty much every excellent wrestler. GSP isn't John Fitching it, he doesn't just lay on the guy, he's doing a shit ton of damage the whole time, but since he's the champ he only fights super tough dudes every fight. It's a lot harder to KO contender after contender as opposed to the #20-6 or 7th ranked guys you get to fight coming up.

Would anyone really hold it against GSP if he didn't finish Nick fucking Diaz? A 50-45 decision would be extremely impressive.

GSP's kicks are no where as near as powerful p4p as Bensons are.

Just because Rogan and Goldie have a crush on Bendo's thighs, does not mean his leg kicks are very good. In fact I believed the hype at first, it seemed that he was landing some really heavy leg kicks on people but the more I have seen him the more it has turned out to be fugazi.

Every time they predict that those leg kicks will slow the opponent down. They don't. Ever. Frankie and Clay walked through them, Nate fell down of course, but it did not slow his footwork.

Let's face it, Bendo's leg kicks are just as powerful as his striking. Insignificant. Might look impressive, but you don't see people limping, swelling up etc like you do with some fighters who ACTUALLY have good leg kicks. You know, Pat Barry etc.

I'd much rather take kicks from Bendo than GSP if I had to choose. Even though I'm definitely not a fan of either one.

GSP has nothing to learn from benson

Apparently Georges disagrees with you.

GSP is certainly a greater fighter, but great fighters are not above learning from others. It may be a big part of what makes them great.

Oh come on. He's used the same game plan for 4 years now, and everyone knows what he's going to do against Diaz. Just a matter of getting in shape and getting it done.

I don't think GSP has used the same game plan for 4 years. For example, he took Hardy down every chance he could, but kept the fight standing and worked the jab against Koscheck.

You may think he's boring, but you can't say he isn't versatile.

Back