GSP haters will be robbed of ever seeing a post-prime broken down GSP

No, they got to see him tap to strikes vs an unranked lw, which is even worse

That's why they're so mad

GSP will forever be a duck now though. He returned to MMA at a time when there was a dominant champion at his weight class, and chose to go fight Bisping instead. He chose the easy path, and then promptly left rather than even fight anyone more challenging at 170, 185 or even 155. He ducked all the fights people wanted to see, you can't pretend that didn't happen.

I mean it makes him look worse not better. He also retired at 31 the first time. He was two defenses away from having the title defense record at like 32 or 33. AS had lost a few months before the dream retirement was all his. He chose to retire after winning a fight almost everyone thought he lost at the time. There's been some revisionist history and I think a lot of people think Hendricks was on steroids and give it to GSP because of that rather than GSP actually winning.

I cannot express how glad I am that GSP is leaving when he wants, not being forced out while suffering huge amounts of damage.

I heard it put best by Kavanaugh, "In MMA you are taking damage, for money. Never forget that." I don't think GSP ever forgot that. It's why he fought the way he did, and it's why he's retiring now.

He's had as perfect a career as one can reasonably expect; set records for title defenses, avenged every loss, was a popular enough to be a big financial draw, squeaky clean image meant brands lined up to be with him. I mean, NO ONE in MMA has a comparably smooth career. Now he's retiring still near his peak, without suffering major damage, which IMO is the biggest part. We have no idea how Chuck, BJ, etc, are going to look down the road. But it probably won't be pretty. GSP may not have escaped unscathed, but compared to his peers, he's leaving with his health intact.

GSP is in the GOAT conversation, and going out like this probably secures his spot in the conversation for a long, long time.

Oh he's clearly one of the GOATs, obviously.

GSP just doesn't have the longevity of Fedor or Anderson (GSP - 5 years as champion / Anderson - 6 years as champion / Fedor - 7 years as champion), but he also doesn't have the losses those two do either. So GSP lives in this weird world of guessing what could've been. Would GSP have defended his title for 5 more years? Maybe. Would GSP have lost his next fight? Maybe. Who the shit knows.

Huh? Per your post ... Anderson had one year longer as champ and that defines longevity?

Seriously is 5 years as champ not good ???

No, they got to see him tap to strikes vs an unranked lw, which is even worse

24qsoaq.jpg

GSP will forever be a duck now though. He returned to MMA at a time when there was a dominant champion at his weight class, and chose to go fight Bisping instead. He chose the easy path, and then promptly left rather than even fight anyone more challenging at 170, 185 or even 155. He ducked all the fights people wanted to see, you can't pretend that didn't happen.

GIF-of-GSP-dancing-hes-a-machine.gif

I mean it makes him look worse not better. He also retired at 31 the first time. He was two defenses away from having the title defense record at like 32 or 33. AS had lost a few months before the dream retirement was all his. He chose to retire after winning a fight almost everyone thought he lost at the time. There's been some revisionist history and I think a lot of people think Hendricks was on steroids and give it to GSP because of that rather than GSP actually winning.

HdWmNif.gif

I cannot express how glad I am that GSP is leaving when he wants, not being forced out while suffering huge amounts of damage.

I heard it put best by Kavanaugh, "In MMA you are taking damage, for money. Never forget that." I don't think GSP ever forgot that. It's why he fought the way he did, and it's why he's retiring now.

He's had as perfect a career as one can reasonably expect; set records for title defenses, avenged every loss, was a popular enough to be a big financial draw, squeaky clean image meant brands lined up to be with him. I mean, NO ONE in MMA has a comparably smooth career. Now he's retiring still near his peak, without suffering major damage, which IMO is the biggest part. We have no idea how Chuck, BJ, etc, are going to look down the road. But it probably won't be pretty. GSP may not have escaped unscathed, but compared to his peers, he's leaving with his health intact.

GSP is in the GOAT conversation, and going out like this probably secures his spot in the conversation for a long, long time.

Well said

true. its refreshing as FUCK to see a fighter accept reality and leave on non-humiliating terms

everyone, everyone, EVERYONE(other than GSP) always push it too far, ignore reality, and rack up brain damage and loses like its going out of style. Fedor, Anderson, and omg lets not forget BJ LMAO. They just refuse to let it go and move on.
That being said i very much respect fedors most recent run

He debuted in 2002. UFC debut in 2004. 9 year tenure in the UFC. 9 title defenses. It's not like he was a Brock/Ronda flash in the pan.
Ronda wasn't really a "Flash in the pan" though. it just feels that way because her reign wasn't "long" in terms of years, but she was 1 defense shy of jose aldo in half the time.

Ronda still had a sizable amount of title defense with 6. She should be praised for how quickly she was able to amass said title defense. sure some of her competition was pretty weak, but sarah mccman, cat zingano and miesha tate proved to be pretty decent fighters.

This motherfucker is good. He knew I was waiting for the day when he would get knocked out again. And he deprived me of it.

He did get his ass whooped pretty bad by Hendricks though. Condit pieced him up real nice too.

IIRC, Bisping was also piecing him up. Even when GSP got the takedown, Bisping was blasting him from the bottom and with elbows and shit. Not saying he was losing, but he was definitely not looking invincible. I thought Bisping was about to win and spoil GSP's "return".

IIRC, Bisping was also piecing him up. Even when GSP got the takedown, Bisping was blasting him from the bottom and with elbows and shit. Not saying he was losing, but he was definitely not looking invincible. I thought Bisping was about to win and spoil GSP's "return".
same dude then hit caught bisping with that two piece and chocked him out

same dude then hit caught bisping with that two piece and chocked him out

Yeah, it was very exhilarating. I wanted GSP to win, so that was a definite plus. Shocking to say the least to see GSP put them hands on a bigger opponent and drop him before choking him the fuck out.

I WAS eempressed wit yare pear-formance, Georges...

giphy.gif

Au revoir!

Wouldn't it be fun if GSP joins Bareknuckle Boxing

Back