GSP beats every MW champion pre-Anderson Silva

Imagine GSP and Hendo fighting between 2006-2008. GSP would have been H-bombed back to WW within a round.

Imagine GSP and Hendo fighting between 2006-2008. GSP would have been H-bombed back to WW within a round.

Not really. Hendo used to have more problems dealing with smaller, but quicker and skilled fighters as Misaki, Kondo and Shields.

I give GSP a pretty good chance vs him but if anyone has a punchers chance that's Hendo, and GSP wasn't exactly a master of striking defense

Last edited:
Bisping was legit half blind. His final two losses were to left hooks he never even saw coming.

The Bisping that fought Chael and either Rockhold fight, I'd like to have seen him fight GSP.

Bisping was a badass for fighting under those conditions.

True badass, indeed. I think he was already half blinded when he KOed Rockhold for the belt...with one fucking eye; epic shit.

Fellow Canadian WW/MW Dennis Kang pretty much outclassed Bisping in the 1st round of their fight and also dropped him with a hook (Mike still had two functional eyes by then)

Granted, Bisping came back and won that fight, and also sharpened his skills from there especially grappling wise but GSP was also way better than Kang everywhere. I'd favour prime GSP over any version of Bisping but it would be one of his toughest fights.

That's not saying much and champ( prime) Rich vs Gsp would be interesting. I wouldn't say that's a gimme for gsp based on size alone.....and I dont even have Rich in my top 7-8 mw of all time. He might MIGHT get inside 10. There s a reason why a small wet spot appeared on the left side of Georges pants when he was being postured in a fight with the bigger and BETTER Anderson. The Franklin fight would be interesting

That's not saying much and champ( prime) Rich vs Gsp would be interesting. I wouldn't say that's a gimme for gsp based on size alone.....and I dont even have Rich in my top 7-8 mw of all time. He might MIGHT get inside 10. There s a reason why a small wet spot appeared on the left side of Georges pants when he was being postured in a fight with the bigger and BETTER Anderson. The Franklin fight would be interesting

Franklin could make it interesting. He used to get better as the fight goes on and his size, power and conditioning could be a problem for GSP in later rounds.

Technically, I think he could keep it competitive standing but he has been taken down like 20 times in UFC, I do think GSP could have his way to decision via TDs and top control. Rich has a legit punchers chance though, GSP was hittable.

Franklin could make it interesting. He used to get better as the fight goes on and his size, power and conditioning could be a problem for GSP in later rounds.

Technically, I think he could keep it competitive standing but he has been taken down like 20 times in UFC, I do think GSP could have his way to decision via TDs and top control. Rich has a legit punchers chance though, GSP was hittable.
I wouldn't call it a " punchers chance " .Before I go any further- gsp is one of the goats, Rich is not. When u say " punchers chance " then that would equate gsp being a massive favorite over Rich. No - Rich is a 185er/ 205er .....and a quality one at that. Gsp is a better fighter than Forrest Griffin but Griffin had the size to bully Rich for 2/3 rounds in a very boring nothing happening fight. Does gsp have the same kind of success on the ground ? probably not.....only because Rich had great sub defense and he could probably get up vs the gsp .....so would gsp score takedowns? Yes and probably would be the difference in scoring even if he couldnt keep rich down ( especially back then[ scoring] ). I dont even know if that would be a fight on the gsps radar because of the size. " punchers chance " just does not apply here.

Menne and tanner are easy wins for him. Both are good match ups for gsp.

Prime Franklin kos gsp, he's just too big. A massive mw.

Prime Busta wins via dec or sub. His ground game is sick and stand up was very underrated

Gsp edges out linland.
Linland gives gsp trouble at first, but gsp takes over in the second half of the fight via supreme conditioning and fighter intelligence

He also beat Silva with that condition. Whats your excuse for this one too?

Excuses? Not really. It was a huge win for Bisping 4 years ago.

However . . .

Anderson Silva was no longer "Anderson Silva" at that point. He has one actual win in the last in 7 years, against Brunson. The win against Nick Diaz at 185 doesn't count, plus Anderson popped for roids after that fight anyway.

Hate on Bisping if you want, but the dude has a bad eye. Heck, just look at him in videos/pictures - he barely has it open.

I wouldn't call it a " punchers chance " .Before I go any further- gsp is one of the goats, Rich is not. When u say " punchers chance " then that would equate gsp being a massive favorite over Rich. No - Rich is a 185er/ 205er .....and a quality one at that. Gsp is a better fighter than Forrest Griffin but Griffin had the size to bully Rich for 2/3 rounds in a very boring nothing happening fight. Does gsp have the same kind of success on the ground ? probably not.....only because Rich had great sub defense and he could probably get up vs the gsp .....so would gsp score takedowns? Yes and probably would be the difference in scoring even if he couldnt keep rich down ( especially back then[ scoring] ). I dont even know if that would be a fight on the gsps radar because of the size. " punchers chance " just does not apply here.

Yeah I meant the chance for Rich to hurt GSP in the feet is higher than for most of GSP's WW opponents, and he has been hurt by them several times. "Puncher's chance" was not the right term.

I agree GSP could have problems keeping Franklin down but TDs would give him the edge in the score cards most likely. Tough fight for him though.

Andy vs GSP would be a 50/45 fight to me

GSP's wrestling would be tough for Andy to deal with (Chael Sonnen)

Andy's size and range is the biggest reason I'd probably have Anderson winning, but it's a lot harder of a pick than a lot of people seem to think

Andy vs GSP would be a 50/45 fight to me

GSP's wrestling would be tough for Andy to deal with (Chael Sonnen)

Andy's size and range is the biggest reason I'd probably have Anderson winning, but it's a lot harder of a pick than a lot of people seem to think

It's a bad stylistic match-up against the GOAT of the division above. Definitely not 50/50 imo.

Where does GSP take the fight to Silva? There is no place where GSP will like to be, same reason why his toughest fight - according to GSP - was Condit.
Silva is the kind of guard player and movile, long-range striker Condit is...but larger, stronger, more talented and experienced.

GSP had problems in Bisping's guard, actually took more damage than he delivered there. Silva was not as good as Bisping scrambling to his feet but better at playing the guard and delivering elbows off his back.

GSP was such a talented fighter and a great tactician so he has a chance, I just would not favour him. I favour him vs any other pre-Silva UFC MW champion except maybe Bustamante, and of course over any WW

It's a bad stylistic match-up against the GOAT of the division above. Definitely not 50/50 imo.

Where does GSP take the fight to Silva? There is no place where GSP will like to be, same reason why his toughest fight - according to GSP - was Condit.
Silva is the kind of guard player and movile, long-range striker Condit is...but larger, stronger, more talented and experienced.

GSP had problems in Bisping's guard, actually took more damage than he delivered there. Silva was not as good as Bisping scrambling to his feet but better at playing the guard and delivering elbows off his back.

GSP was such a talented fighter and a great tactician so he has a chance, I just would not favour him. I favour him vs any other pre-Silva UFC MW champion except maybe Bustamante, and of course over any WW
Meant to say 55/45, but I don't think Anderson's guard would be such a problem that GSP would lose the fight if he was able to consistently get a takedown and get on top. I think that would be his path to victory. Winning on bottom against prime GSP is an almost impossible task IMO, to me the hard part would be getting Anderson down every round without getting KO'd

Meant to say 55/45, but I don't think Anderson's guard would be such a problem that GSP would lose the fight if he was able to consistently get a takedown and get on top. I think that would be his path to victory. Winning on bottom against prime GSP is an almost impossible task IMO, to me the hard part would be getting Anderson down every round without getting KO'd

I think you understimate Silva's guard, especially against a way undersized opponent.
GSP excelled at taking the fight where his opponent was weaker. Silva presents a bad stylistic matchup for him anywhere the fight takes place.

- GSP had problems in the guard of Bisping and to a lesser extent Condit. Silva is larger and the better guard player.
GSP has actually lost rounds to Shields avoiding the ground game btw.

- GSP would not enjoy a reach advantage for the first time, and his standup game - including the set up for his TDS - is largely predicated on it.
GSP has been hurt in the feet by most legit strikers he has faced btw, even if way inferior to Silva: Condit, Hendricks, BJ or Serra.

But again, even if he avoided to get hurt in the feet and complete de TD; it would be hell being in the ground with the kind of tricky guard and long limbs Silva has for extended periods of time. He didnt even want to stay in Bisping's guard anymore after round 1.

Back