GSP beats every MW champion pre-Anderson Silva

There's a reason we have weight classes.

Yeah we know. There are fighters who challenged two or even more weight classes. GSP avoided Silva but moved upto take on MW champion Bisping and beat him.

Do you think GSP could beat Menne, Tanner, Busta or Franklin?

Some people seem to imagine here that he is this best of oldschool MMA in retirement that can always come out and beat the new young toughs.

He is almost 40, of course not.
We are comparing his with his contemporaries and previous generation in this thread anyways
It's reasonable GSP in his prime could beat evey UFC MW champion up until Silva imo

He is almost 40, of course not.
We are comparing his with his contemporaries and previous generation in this thread anyways
It's reasonable GSP in his prime could beat evey UFC MW champion up until Silva imo
It is fair if you are comparing him to his contemporaries and previous generations. GSP is a fucking badass. There are just a lot of threads, youtube videos and comments which want to idolize GSP into some unbeatable Achilles no matter his age or when he last fought.

Yeah we know. There are fighters who challenged two or even more weight classes. GSP avoided Silva but moved upto take on MW champion Bisping and beat him.

Do you think GSP could beat Menne, Tanner, Busta or Franklin?

He'd probably go 2-2 or 3-1 if he fought all four of those. Which would be very respectable for a WW.

Busta and Franklin both beat GSP.

Franklin is severely underrated around here

Many people in shedog claims Franklin is the 2nd best MW of all-time¡!...not even top10, man
Actually the majority one here rates Franklin above Weidman and Rockhold which is crazy

Rich was a very good fighter and great dude Im a fan, but he is vastly overrated on here, it's like the American posterboy for many people

Last edited:
Lol. No he really didn't.

Such a ridiculous narrative.

Except that we have quotes of Dana saying GSP specifically turned down that fight.
ANd we have 100s of quotes of Anderson saying he wants GSP.
ANd we have 0 quotes from GSP even discussing this matter. 0 quotes, 0 title defense finishes. Coincidence?
GSP would be embarrassed beyond repair if he fought Anderson. You know it, but you are such a fanboi you are going to defend his fears and loses.

Except that we have quotes of Dana saying GSP specifically turned down that fight.
ANd we have 100s of quotes of Anderson saying he wants GSP.
ANd we have 0 quotes from GSP even discussing this matter. 0 quotes, 0 title defense finishes. Coincidence?
GSP would be embarrassed beyond repair if he fought Anderson. You know it, but you are such a fanboi you are going to defend his fears and loses.
Dana White is completely full of shit and is a known GSP hater.

So there's that.

An old GSP was able to beat a Bisping who is arguably better than everyone mentioned, I think GSP could grind out the wins. GSP is also far more skilled than everyone and would only lose if he was out muscled.

Bisping 13 years into his pro-career, literally with one eye, is hardly better than Bustamante or Franklin. Bisping lost 7 contender fights during his prime.
I guess he was better than Tanner or Menne but not an easy fight neither. Kennedy, Leites and CB Dollaway gave Bisping all sorts of trouble. Fellow Canadian Denis Kang outclassed him in the 1st round standing and in the ground btw

Last edited:
Granted, but GSP shoots from the outside more than he clinches. Also, Rich would have the advantage in the clinch of being the taller guy. Okami and especially Silva were taller and same goes for Griffin obviously. That said I'm sure GSP would be able to take him down, I'm questioning if he would be able to keep him there or get him there consistently. GSP fought a middleweight once in Bisping and his cardio didn't look too hot at some points in there (yes I realize he's older now).

Still not saying Rich would win or GSP for that matter, but it would be a challenging fight for either guy.

Don't let Rich's fight with Forrest fool you about his wrestling. Griffin walked around 40 pounds bigger than GSP
Prime Richard Franklin would give George a lot of problems. Hard to take down, hard to keep down. Big. Good striking. Throws punches from weird angles. George never stiffened a man like Rich did to Nate Quarry.
Nope.
And as overrated as Franklin is, he'd probably beat him as well.

He would have some big problems with Ace Franklin
Busta and Franklin both beat GSP.
So this is really a debate huh??? GSP is better than Rich Franklin EVERYWHERE. Rich is average compared to GSP.

The skill gap from where Matt Hughes ruled the division to where GSP took over is monumental.
someone like Franklin would be too much for gsp.

Franklin usually loses fights by ko/tko, while gsp decisions.

Franklin is also bigger, same reach and well rounded for gsp game plan to work on him

Franklin has been taken down 20 times in UFC. Lutter or McDonald did with a sloppy single. He looked vulnerable in the ground with Okami, Lutter or Griffin...

As I see it, GSP takes Rich down as he did Bisping or anyone he wanted except Hendricks, who is 100 times the wrestler Rich was, 10-15lbs dont save that gap.
Bisping or Condit gave GSP problems off their back bur Franklin never proved to have that good guard game so I think ground control to decision is the most likely outcome imo
Franklin used to get better as the fight goes on so in 5 rounds who knows; Rich had heavy hands and lesser strikers than him have found GSP's chin

Hughes vs Franklin would have been interesting back in the day. I'd favour Rich in that one, but not vs prime GSP although it's a intriguing match-up

Franklin has been taken down 20 times in UFC. Lutter or McDonald did with a sloppy single. He looked vulnerable in the ground with Okami, Lutter or Griffin...

As I see it, GSP takes Rich down as he did Bisping or anyone he wanted except Hendricks, who is 100 times the wrestler Rich was, 10-15lbs dont save that gap.
Bisping or Condit gave GSP problems off their back bur Franklin never proved to have that good guard game so I think ground control to decision is the most likely outcome imo
Franklin used to get better as the fight goes on so in 5 rounds who knows; Rich had heavy hands and lesser strikers than him have found GSP's chin

Hughes vs Franklin would have been interesting back in the day. I'd favour Rich in that one, but not vs prime GSP although it's a intriguing match-up

and guess what? He won all those fights except vs griffin who was a huge lhw.

Franklin has issues with good strikers with power, not grapplers.

Again gsp never faced anybody as well rounded as Franklin + having a power to end a fight with one strike.

Also you can’t compare Franklin to bisping

Franklin destroyed Hamill and had a close fight with hendo.

both guys were bullying bisping.

bisping also was 38 with one eye when he faced gsp and was actually taking over the fight before getting caught by that left hook he had trouble seeing.

and guess what? He won all those fights except vs griffin who was a huge lhw.

Franklin has issues with good strikers with power, not grapplers..

Look at the fights not just the record, Franklin had issues with grapplers plenty of times.
"But he won"..yeah, did you ever hear about level of competition?

You put yourself in a bad position and you can get away with it vs McDonald, Lutter, Shamrock...none of them were even top10 ranked for a reason. Okami mounted him and almost made him tap. Rich barely edged a decision. Yushin is a WW btw, and a much inferor wrestler than GSP.

> Who is the best grappling based fighter Franklin beat?

Franklin fought a top10 elite striker, got starched
If Franklin had fought a top10 elite grappler he'd get manhandled - based on the many holes exposed during his fights, not necesarily marked on his record
But he didn't fight any MMA grappler - not even his contemporaries Busta or Lindland - close as good as GSP.

Again gsp never faced anybody as well rounded as Franklin + having a power to end a fight with one strike.

Franklin's BJJ and clinch fighting were far from elite; and his striking was exposed every time he fought an elite striker.
He was very well-rounded by the shallow MW division standards from back in 2005; if you honestly think GSP has never faced anybody as well rounded as Franklin you really need to get a clue, man.

I agree size and power level things up, especially to 5 rounds as Franklin never had great conditioning.

Also you can’t compare Franklin to bisping

Franklin destroyed Hamill and had a close fight with hendo.

both guys were bullying bisping.

bisping also was 38 with one eye when he faced gsp and was actually taking over the fight before getting caught by that left hook he had trouble seeing.

I didnt say Bisping was better than Franklin, I'd have favoured Rich if they fought; but they are certainly comparable, and also a worse stylistic match up for GSP imo.
GSP was also past him prime when he fought Bispng anyways

Wait, who the fuck made Lindland a champ?

Yeah, my bad. I won't edit though lol

Lindland was regarded as the better wrestler at MW and the biggest threat for Franklin when he left UFC in a four fight winning streak and 9-3 record in the promotion.

Yeah, my bad. I won't edit though lol

Lindland was regarded as the better wrestler at MW and the biggest threat for Franklin when he left UFC in a four fight winning streak and 9-3 record in the promotion.

I remember, but he was no champion, my dude.

With that being said i dont see gsp man handling rich franklin youre fight iq points went out the window

Okami is not a wrestler or control type grappler he does bjj submisions.. And has good striking..

Gsp couldnt do shit to bisping... Bud nor could he take him down nor keep him down bisping had a size advantage big time on gsp...

Gsp got his ass wooped and matt serrad bisping..

Gsp in todays ufc would be a light weight.. Hes inbetween ww and lw hes to small for mw.

Khabib is bigger thicker and heavier than gsp is not by alot... You guys are crazy with the gsp 185 talk go check his size and weight and compare to the lws... Gsp is a strong ww but hes not near mw caliber guys whilo can cut 30 pounds

> GSP is much more skilled than Franklin in every aspect of the game. Franklin has never beat anybody even close as good as GSP

> Every time Franklin fought a modern elite fighter, he lost badly. The best opponent he beat at 185 is a green Okami, and barely squeezed the decision

> Franklin has been outmaneuvered in the clinch/ground by many much inferior grapplers than GSP.

I agree Franklin's size, power and fairly well-rounded game are a tough challenge for any WW, but the skill gap is pretty big on this one.

Okami is not a wrestler or control type grappler he does bjj submisions.. And has good striking..

Okami is not a control type grappler? he is the prototype of control type grappler....And has good striking? compared with Evan Tanner yes he had; compared with GSP or Bisping not that much.

With that being said i dont see gsp man handling rich franklin youre fight iq points went out the window

Gsp couldnt do shit to bisping... Bud nor could he take him down nor keep him down bisping had a size advantage big time on gsp...

Gsp got his ass wooped and matt serrad bisping..

That's a terribe bad take on that fight, you are definitely not unbiased

GSP was outstriking Bisping (59-27) and took him down 3 times.
Size missmatch came into play in the ground and GSP didnt do shit there - actually took more damage than he delivered.
Then again again, who has had much success with Bisping in the ground in the UFC? Do you think Franklin has a better guard or TDD than Bisping?

"matt serrad bisping"...it can't get more shertard, mate

Khabib is bigger thicker and heavier than gsp is not by alot... You guys are crazy with the gsp 185 talk go check his size and weight and compare to the lws... Gsp is a strong ww but hes not near mw caliber guys whilo can cut 30 pounds

well, you are way off on this one.

>Burns, Masvi and Colbi are top5 WW; all smaller than GSP

> GSP's reach is above average even at MW,

> GSP has beat Shields, who was the undisputed Strikeforce MW champion just months before, and not much bigger than him.

> Plenty of MW contenders durign Silva - and Bisping - era where former or current WWs. Bisping was a pretty big MW actually

> We are comparing GSP with MW champions pre-Andersol Silva era, not from modern era.

"Khabib is bigger than GSP" :eek::eek::eek::eek:
.....btw would be interesting Khabib vs Menne, Tanner, Bustamante, Lindland and Franklin. I think he loses more times than not. GSP is more versatile though....and bigger

Last edited:
> GSP is much more skilled than Franklin in every aspect of the game. Franklin has never beat anybody even close as good as GSP

> Every time Franklin fought a modern elite fighter, he lost badly. The best opponent he beat at 185 is a green Okami, and barely squeezed the decision

I agree Franklin's size, power and fairly well-rounded game would be a tough challenge for GSP, but the skill gap is pretty big. Franklin has been outmaneuvered in the clinch/ground by many much inferior grapplers than GSP.

That's a terribe bad take on that fight, you are definitely not unbiased

GSP was outstriking Bisping (59-27) and took him down 3 times.
Indeed, size missmatch came into play in the ground and GSP didnt do shit down there - actually took more damage than he delivered.
Then again again, who has had much success with Bisping in the ground in the UFC?

"matt serrad bisping"...it can't get more shertard, mate

Okami is not a control type grappler? he is the prototype of control type grappler....And has good striking? compared with Evan Tanner yes he had; compared with GSP or Bisping not that much.

well, you are way off on this one.

>Burns, Masvi and Colbi are top5 WW; all smaller than GSP

> GSP's reach is above average even at MW,

> GSP has beat Shields, who was the undisputed Strikeforce MW champion just months before, and not much bigger than him.

> Plenty of MW contenders durign Silva - and Bisping - era where former or current WWs. Bisping was a pretty big MW actually

> We are comparing GSP with MW champions pre-Andersol Silva era, not from modern era.

"Khabib is bigger than GSP" :eek::eek::eek::eek:
.....btw would be interesting Khabib vs Menne, Tanner, Bustamante, Lindland and Franklin. I think he loses more times than not. GSP is more versatile though....and bigger
Prime Franklin KOs any version of GSP. Let it go man.

Back