GSP asked for Diaz to distract us from avoiding Silva

One huge difference exists between the GSP and AS situations - GSP has many suitable, exiting matchups lined up ahead of him, and Anderson does not.

Bisping and Weidman are both good fights for Silva.. He just doesn't like them..

GSP is playing it safe...stylistically diaz is his easiest very high level fight and bigger payday than the more dangerous hendricks.That doesn't mean I think johnny is better than nick but stylistically for gsp alllll day.

It's inevitable that he'll fight Anderson. GSP knows that.

dumbest thing I have heard all day and all these new fans think it's for sure I hear it everywhere.It must be new fans because if you have been a fan for the last 3 or more years then you all would know that this fight was supposed to happen this whole time.Now silva's pushing 40,either of them could lose,they can't settle on a weight,they will hold up a whole division,there's a million reasons they wouldn't fight people need to seriously just shut the fuck up and stop taking in the zuffa hype like it's all fact.

I don't buy into GSP's rhetoric about him believing that Diaz is the #1 contender. He has always been a fairly level headed guy, an able commentator and analyst of the sport, a fair judge of his division and others. He must know very well, as we all do, that Hendricks is the guy who should be getting the shot. A guy coming from a loss, and not having fought in quite some time, being lower ranked than Hendricks cannot be reasonably said to be the #1 contender. I also don't think he still holds on to the grudge with Nick and that he desires to fight him above all things. And I don't think it's money that's speaking either.

So why ask for this fight? The Silva vs. GSP fight was, more than ever, on everyone's radar. Anderson had explicitly said he wanted it next, White said he wanted it and was going to try to make it. Silva shows up at the Condit fight, and says he wants to set it up. Clearly, in spite of the fanbase being divided as to whether Jones vs. Silva was a better fan, this was a fight that was drawing all the hype it was expected from it.

GSP was getting a lot of heat, given his fairly obvious reluctance to take the fight. Hendricks, for all his virtues, is not a particularly popular guy, nor do many believe he has much of a shot against Pierre. But Nick is obviously a star, and a fight with GSP would have the fans hyping it up. This is true even if the odds are still heavily on Pierre's favor, and if Hendricks is generally considered to be more deserving. Diaz is more popular, and more people would be excited for that fight, nevermind fairness.

Had GSP taken on Hendricks instead of Silva, the disappointment of not seeing the Silva fight materialize would have been quite steep. GSP would have drawn a lot of criticism for ducking, warranted or not. But a fight with Nick creates the sort of hype and pleases the many fans that wanted it to begin with. It's a great way to say no to the Silva fight, and not have to assimilate the bulk of criticism.

So I do think that GSP took the Diaz fight primarily as a way to dodge accusations, and to divert the public's attention from the fact that, well, he was explicitly backing down from the Silva fight. Just my two cents.

100% agreed.

Silva asked for GSP to distract us from avoiding Jones..

See how that works?

what about the times before jones was even in the ufc?

it's not like the ufc hasn't been trying to set up anderson silva versus st. pierre for a while now...

There is no reason GSP should move up to fight a much bigger man. Do you see what HW Jones does to great much more skilled MWs like Evans and Lyoto? why would GSP want to lose based on a size advantage?

it's not like the ufc hasn't been trying to set up anderson silva versus st. pierre for a while now...

What about them? The only time Silva got serious about GSP was after he got injured.. How many trips did Silva make to Montreal for a GSP fight pre-injury? The UFC seemed close to making the fight once before Silva lost his friggin mind against Maia..

I dont know why people think Anderson vs Bones would be a good move right now. Bones wants to go to HW soon and has 3-4 contenders looking for a title shot. LHW is too backed up right now for him to fight anderson, especially since it will most likely be for the LHW title if it does happen. Anderson and GSP both have only two that seem likely within the next year (Weidman, Bisping) and (Hendricks, Diaz). After those two fights for each of them, they will be free to take on one another and then after jones cleans out the last remnants of challengers in LHW, he can fight Anderson before going to HW. Anderson will still be fighting until he is at least 42 unless he suffers a tragic beating at the hands of Weidman (which i really don't see happening)

I love how fighters are now said to be "avoiding" opponents by continuing to fight in their own weight class.

Sure, don't you know that weight classes are irrelevant. Anyone watching from their couch at home knows that weight doesn't matter.

The fact is, Aldo is ducking Ben Henderson, Ben Henderson is ducking GSP, GSP is ducking Anderson, Anderson is ducking Jones, Jones is ducking Cain. Because any fans complaining know that, if given the chance, would happily fight anyone, at any weight. Its only guys who actually fight who seem to be reluctant to fight bigger guys - they lack the true courage and spirit of people brave enough to post on the Internet :icon_twis

But the OP underestimates the lengths GSP will go to in order to avoid fighting GSP. Its now been proven that GSP was behind hurricane Sandy, just another of his attempts to get media attention away from his ducking Anderson. And he was the one that ended the NHL strike, just so Canadian fans would be too busy to notice that he wasn't fighting Anderson. The lengths he will go to boggle the mind.

And Anderson decided to dance with Maia in front of Zuffa shareholders. Not GSP's fault that Silva was close to being cut.

Silva asked for GSP to distract us from avoiding Jones..

See how that works?

Absolutely. Anderson is the one that wanted to fight the smaller GSP and called out GSP many times to avoid a fight with Jones. Anderson in his own words a couple of months back said that he would prefer to fight GSP, because he is smaller than him and would get hit less (LOL). Anderson's own words people. I never seen people at this forum rip Anderson for those words. Imagine if GSP said he would like to fight Ben Henderson, because he is smaller and would get hit less (LOL) There would be a deep outcry on Sherdog, which is filled with many GSP haters (mainly American posters who are still

hurt that GSP took the soul of their heroes BJ and Hughes- I said it). They see Anderson as the one to beat GSP, and then coming on to forums to trash GSP for wanting to stay in his weight class. By the way, Jones said last month that he is not afraid of any man including Anderson Silva. When he said these words, Silva's camp said that they are not interested in fighting Jones, maybe in the future at CW (LOL). Silva and his camp turned the attention to Bisping. It is clear that Silva wants no part of Jones an that is why is focused on the smaller GSP. GSP haters can stick it where the sun don't shine. These links are Anderson's words about the smaller GSP, and the words of Jon Jones. Nothing else matters, even when Anderson's butt kissers said Jones will not fight him. This link below is the truth.

http://www.espn.co.uk/ufc/sport/story/174733.html

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/12/...anderson-silva-not-afraid-challenged-mma-news

Well you just couldn't keep your mouth shut now could you?

I think it has more to do with timing.

Diaz is a top guy and was SF's champ.
The best scenario was to make a title unification fight, but his no show prompted Dana to switch up the fight.
It is a problem,since Diaz lost.

you can complaint about the strategy used by Condit, but not the fact Diaz didn't adapt to it and lost the fight.
But alas, people didn't like it, and that opened up the way for an excuse to hype Diaz again and make that fight.

GSP is the consummated "good guy". And Diaz loves to be the bad guy.

That makes for perfect TV, the type of entertainment Dana loves.

So hendricks enters the scene. he is not hated, but not liked enough to hype the fight as well...

GSP goes with the money. Dana knows it is the best chance to salvage what he thought was a lost fight.

Silva? I don't know.
As times passes GSP stops being the mega-fight everyone wants Silva to undertake and Jones becomes the "wet dream" of matchups.

And if Silva goes up to fight the likes of rashad, Rua or Jones, I don't see how GSP fight would be enticing anymore.

let alone the fact that if anyone of them loses, so does all talks about mega-fights.

Just look at Manny Pacquiao!

Sure, don't you know that weight classes are irrelevant. Anyone watching from their couch at home knows that weight doesn't matter.

The fact is, Aldo is ducking Ben Henderson, Ben Henderson is ducking GSP, GSP is ducking Anderson, Anderson is ducking Jones, Jones is ducking Cain. Because any fans complaining know that, if given the chance, would happily fight anyone, at any weight. Its only guys who actually fight who seem to be reluctant to fight bigger guys - they lack the true courage and spirit of people brave enough to post on the Internet :icon_twis

But the OP underestimates the lengths GSP will go to in order to avoid fighting GSP. Its now been proven that GSP was behind hurricane Sandy, just another of his attempts to get media attention away from his ducking Anderson. And he was the one that ended the NHL strike, just so Canadian fans would be too busy to notice that he wasn't fighting Anderson. The lengths he will go to boggle the mind.

Haha, good stuff. :icon_lol::icon_lol:

People on this site come up with the weirdest fucking theories about what fighters think

Yeah. And who's fault is it after UFC 112 Dana and co were no longer interested? That was the closest they were to making the fight.

Absolutely. Anderson is the one that wanted to fight the smaller GSP and called out GSP many times to avoid a fight with Jones. Anderson in his own words a couple of months back said that he would prefer to fight GSP, because he is smaller than him and would get hit less (LOL). Anderson's own words people. I never seen people at this forum rip Anderson for those words. Imagine if GSP said he would like to fight Ben Henderson, because he is smaller and would get hit less (LOL) There would be a deep outcry on Sherdog, which is filled with many GSP haters (mainly American posters who are still

hurt that GSP took the soul of their heroes BJ and Hughes- I said it). They see Anderson as the one to beat GSP, and then coming on to forums to trash GSP for wanting to stay in his weight class. By the way, Jones said last month that he is not afraid of any man including Anderson Silva. When he said these words, Silva's camp said that they are not interested in fighting Jones, maybe in the future at CW (LOL). Silva and his camp turned the attention to Bisping. It is clear that Silva wants no part of Jones an that is why is focused on the smaller GSP. GSP haters can stick it where the sun don't shine. These links are Anderson's words about the smaller GSP, and the words of Jon Jones. Nothing else matters, even when Anderson's butt kissers said Jones will not fight him. This link below is the truth.

http://www.espn.co.uk/ufc/sport/story/174733.html

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/12/...anderson-silva-not-afraid-challenged-mma-news

In a follow up, the Jones link is from last month, and Silva stating that GSP would be a better fight because he is smaller than him is from October. Dumb thread TS. Not the first one, and not surely the last one to bash GSP on Sherdog. What do you have to say about Anderson's words that GSP is smaller than him and he would get hit less in the link? GTFO.

Back