G's Tactical Barbell / MT Log

Yesterday Week 2 Day 6:

Muay Thai - circuit training/heavy bag - focus on kicks/knees/partner drills - kicks knees

Today:Day 7

Rest

Week 3 begins tomorrow - evening MT class

Today - 90% RM:

Squat...... 265
Bench........200
DL.............280

Last night -Muay Thai. Easy class - lots of stretching/shadow boxing/technique work.

Yesterday tac barbell:

90% RM:

Squat...... 265
Bench........200
DL.............280

Today:

Supposed to be MT tonight but the gym was closed. Ended up doing some kettlebell stuff -

2 minutes skipping
1 minute kettlebell swings
x 5 rounds

Short, sweet and brutal.

Muay Thai last night. Started off with some light cardio & cals, burpees, pushups, short sprints. Moved on to light one minute round robin style sparring. We rotated through everyone in the class. Great way to fight opponents of different stature, skill levels and style.

Today Rest day.

Squat......220
Bench........165
DL.............230

5 x 5/75%

Lots of energy this week. Was in the mood for some long steady state this morning. Hit the trails and ran for an hour. Felt great. For me not much comes close to the mood lift I get from LISS.

Yesterday:

Squat......220
Bench........165
DL.............230

5 x 5/75%

Tonight - Day 6:

Moo Thai

is there anywhere that has the basic overview (increments, sets/reps, principles etc) of the tactical barbell programme online?

Week 5 Day#3

Morning MT session. Felt good, small class size this AM so lots of individual attention was given. Focus on technique and heavy bag drills.

Falling a little behind on the logging but everything still going as planned, although missed the first MT class this past week because of a social thing. Other than that tickety-boo.

is there anywhere that has the basic overview (increments, sets/reps, principles etc) of the tactical barbell programme online?

Hey brother....depends on what template you're looking for. There are 5 in the book and you pick one depending on your goals and what the rest of your training week looks like. Then you pair it up with a 'cluster' or group of exercises which customizes it even more. So you might be on the same template as me but you might be using totally different exercises. It'll take me too long to write out all the templates but generally they progress like this:

week 1 - light - 70%-75% higher rep
week 2 - medium - 80%-85% mid range reps (5-6)
week 3 - heavy - 90%-95% (low rep 1-3)

Also, my log has all the specifics for the two day a week Fighter template - which I suggest using if you're a combat athlete. The rest of the templates in the book are 3 x week. You don't have to stick with the exercises I'm doing - you can choose your own as long as they're compound based and balanced (you know what I mean - no bicep curls, calf raises, and shit like that).

What really kicks ass about this program is that you can move the pieces around to pretty much create a customized plan - while still being heavily structured within your plan. Which is of course, ideal for athletes or people who do more than just lift.
For example I know one guy that's using the Operator template with almost all bodyweight exercises - pistols/pull-ups/one arm pushups/deadlifts.

As far as principles....a major one is you stay with the same loads for the entire week instead of adding weight every single workout. Which for a dude that does other training (like MMA or Muay Thai) is the perfect approach. It gives you more room for error. What I mean by this is that linear programs like SS stress having everything down perfectly in order to progress. Like you have to eat enough, get 8.1 hours of rest, if you're not improving scarf down more food or drink a gallon of milk everyday. And of course - avoid cardio cuz you don't want to affect your 'gains'.

Obviously this isn't going to work for most athletes who have to worry about weight class or who also have to be highly conditioned. I know rest is important, but realistically between work, training and responsibilities I'm lucky if I get even 6 hours a night. And there's no way in hell I can avoid cardio. So the TB approach works for me. Stay with the same weight for a while to get used to it instead of just attempting to add 10lbs every workout.

Optional training day. Did this conditioning workout from the TB site:

10 kettlebell swings
10 burpees
60 seconds RI
x 10 rounds

Two handed swings.

Yesterday:

MT - pushed us hard in class. Burpees and sprints to tire us out a little at start of class, and then some sparring. We were encouraged to go a little harder during the sparring while still focusing on technique. 3-5 minute rounds. Solid class, but I'm a little sore and beat up today.

Today's rest day, which is fine by me.

Day 1 of Week 6:

MT morning session. Light technique based session. Lots of stretching and focus on kick/knee form.

Day#3 today (MT):

Good training session. Light round robin sparring in the ring, major focus on technique.

Day 4 optional training day:

Felt good today so did the optional training.

400m x 6

Yesterday: Lifted (80% med week)

Tonight - Day 3/ Muay Thai

Everything pretty much still on track, falling behind on the logging here and there but not the workouts. Although I did miss a weight session this week due to an unavoidable social function. Other than that, everything's still rolling along.

So I ended up taking a sorta last minute trip (work related) for the past week or so. Did not train much at all, just did a couple treadmill runs and a little bit of bodyweight stuff. My muscles haven't shriveled away or anything. Sucked not being able to train properly, but hey, sometimes work takes priority. Gotta pay the bills.

Anyway, I'll be repeating my last (80% - med) week. Feel pretty good actually, the break did me some good. Diet wasn't the greatest either while traveling, mostly ate out or room service. Not gonna lie, had a few nights of drinking too.

Back at it tomorrow!

G

Week 10 (1)- Muay Thai

Great session. Not too crazy with just the right amount of intensity. Partner drills, light sparring, followed by bag work for the remainder of the class.

Strength work today:

Squat......220
Bench........165
DL.............230

5 x 5/75%

Back