G's Tactical Barbell / MT Log

Supposed to be muay thai tonight, but feeling pretty tired, shitty sleep last night and run off my feet today with work related stuff. So skipped class, and ended up doing some stretching & rolling at home.

Yesterday:

TB ramps up to 90% RM this week:

Squats......235
Bench........185
Deadlift......245

3 x 3 / 90%

Felt tight and in control of all my lifts. Felt like I could've easily pounded out more reps, but stuck to the program.

No Muay Thai tonight - gym closed for maintenance or quick repairs or something.

G

Conditioning:

TB style Fun-Run x 10k
10 push-ups / 10 squats every 6 minutes

Oct 31. Muay Thai

15 min warm-up and then went immediately into sparring for the remainder.

We don't overdo the sparring in training, but very enjoyable.

Squat 325 3 x 5
Bench 220 5 x 5
KB swings 5 x 10 (32kg 2H)

Last strength workout of my block, I'll be retesting my maximums after a few days of rest. Had a really good block, in terms of staying consistent with Muay Thai and strength trg. This time I also did a little more extra conditioning outside of MT.

For next block I want explore going more in depth with my conditioning, by incorporating TB2 and/or some of Joel Jamiesons stuff.

Week 3 Day 4/ Optional Training or Extra Rest Day

Decided to do a little optional training today. My energy levels have been very good for the last 3 weeks, as I've mentioned earlier. Plus MT was cancelled last night.

Did this earlier in the evening:

2 minute jog/ 1 minute kettlebell swings (medium/two handed) - for a total of 20 mins.

G

Second and last tactical barbell session of the week. 90% RM:

Squats......235
Bench........185
Deadlift......245

Morning workout today. NO end-of-week zombie fatigue yet.

G

Muay Thai

Finished up an early evening session. This week has been my highest energy week so far, I think in part to the one cancelled MT session this week, and the very low rep barbell training. Did a little mini fitness circuit at MT, before going into long combo partner drills, and then finished off with beaucoup heavy bag work. Very raw shins tonight from the bag work, but tons of energy to spare. It was nice putting some emotion and effort into the drills instead of going zombie through the motions and just trying not to tank.

Rest Day tomorrow.

G

Last night:
Week 4 Day 1 - Muay Thai

Partner drills/ followed by some light-moderate round robin sparring

Today:
Week 4 Day 2 Strength / De-Load Week

Squats.......195
Bench........150
Deadlift......200

Perfect timing for a bit of a mental/physical break. Week four and back down to light weights for a planned 'de-load'. Next week the loads ramp up a little heavier.

G

Last night:

Muay Thai. Did a couple conditioning circuits at the start of class. Burpees, jog, kick combos, push ups, etc etc. Easy/moderate short combo partner drills - no pads.

Felt like a beast, most noticeable on the burpees and punches. I've noticed burpees are a decent gauge of my strength program. Weird I know. But when I let my strength lag I'm very clumsy and lack 'spring' to my burpees. Same with push ups, feels like a lot of effort. When I'm consistent with strength training - I've got spring to my movements - a controlled powerful kind of feel. Since about the end of the second week my burpees and body weight work's been on point. This week strikes feel heavy and a little more effortless getting to that 'punch through the target' effect. Something's going right. The consistency with the MT's starting to pay off.

Today - Week 4 Day 4 Rest/ Optional Conditioning

Felt really good energy/recovery wise. Went to the gym and fucked around with kettlebells, did some light snatches, pistol squats, shadow boxing. Actually snatched a heavier KB today for the first time. Just a couple reps though.

G

Today:
Week 4 Day 5 Strength / De-Load Week:

Squats.......195
Bench........150
Deadlift......200

No issues, completed. Weights feeling very light, as they should for de-load.

Last night - Muay Thai. Lower intensity class. The focus was on shadow boxing and technique/combo practices for the first half, and then bag work for the rest. Easy stretching to finish the class off. Nice way to end the week.

Rest day today.

G

Great log....are you planning on retesting tac barbell at 6 weeks...or...?

Great log....are you planning on retesting tac barbell at 6 weeks...or...?

Not sure yet to be honest. The program allows for retesting at 6 but recommends waiting until week 12 for better results and more established/solid gains. I'm pretty sure my strength has gone up based on the control I'm feeling when I'm lifting now. I might retest at 6 just to see my new numbers, but I'll continue lifting with the old for another 6. Then after I hit the 12 week mark I'll do a proper retest and use the new numbers for my next phase. Just gonna play it by ear for now, we'll see.

Okay folks, little bit of catch up to do.

June 22 Wk 5 / D1/MT
Muay Thai evening class. Not the easiest not the toughest. Bag work, partner drills, and some light short session sparring.

June 23 Wk 5/ D2 TB 80%

squats....210
bench.....165
deadlift....215

Tonight - was supposed to be Muay Thai, but I had a social function to attend. No muay tonight.
So far so good - everything still status quo.

Nice log. I ran TB as well, got some solid increases on retest day. I'll be starting up a new template in a few days. I went with a heavy cluster last template, bench/squats/deadlifts/weighted pull-ups. This time around I'm thinking of doing a Standard, either bench/deadlift/squat or bench/deadlift/weighted pull-ups, or maybe even muscle-up/ bench/squat.

Just curious why you went with deadlifts instead of pull-ups, and would you do the same or different if you run another phase? I like deadlifts, but I'm really liking the effects I got with the weighted pull-ups. Trying to decide for the next go around. Thanks,

Roy

Day 4 - Rest Day or Optional Training

Opted for the optional training today due to missing my last MT class. So this morning I changed up the pace a little and went for a 5k steady state jog. Weather was great, and there's a trail I like to hit once in a while by my house - takes me along waterfront. Always good scenery.

Nice log. I ran TB as well, got some solid increases on retest day. I'll be starting up a new template in a few days. I went with a heavy cluster last template, bench/squats/deadlifts/weighted pull-ups. This time around I'm thinking of doing a Standard, either bench/deadlift/squat or bench/deadlift/weighted pull-ups, or maybe even muscle-up/ bench/squat.

Just curious why you went with deadlifts instead of pull-ups, and would you do the same or different if you run another phase? I like deadlifts, but I'm really liking the effects I got with the weighted pull-ups. Trying to decide for the next go around. Thanks,

Roy

Hey Roy, thanks for checking out my log. I prefer deads because I think they're a more complete lift. I get more core activation, lower back, hams. Things I don't get out of weighted pull-ups. I get better arm/lat development/power with the pull-ups though.
What template did you use?

Strength (TB) today:

June 23 Wk 5/ D2 TB 80%

squats....210
bench.....165
deadlift....215

G

Hey meng how's the training going..? Don't know if you caught it....but there's a new article on the tac barbell site about optional modifications to templates...interesting option for Fighter Template...check it out if you haven't already.

Back