grrr help plz

fastbalej

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
whatsup.. im pretty tall for my weightclass, but i do alot of sparring with a buddy of mine whos about 25 pounds heavier and a few inches taller.. so his reach is longer. hes the tough guy on the streets in my town and just started training kickboxing.. I only do bjj, for about 7 months, no stnadup yet.. it just really pisses me off that i cant work around his reach and that i lose confidence even before we start sparring ect.. Im trying to get good at setting up a good shot, so i can just take control on the ground but im not the greatest at it.. anyone else have any advice with my problem besides fidning a boxing trainer for right now .. thx guys.. i just want to be confidence if i had to protect myself against someone in his nature that is taller and alot mroe mentally "Crazy" you know..

whatsup.. im pretty tall for my weightclass, but i do alot of sparring with a buddy of mine whos about 25 pounds heavier and a few inches taller.. so his reach is longer. hes the tough guy on the streets in my town and just started training kickboxing.. I only do bjj, for about 7 months, no stnadup yet.. it just really pisses me off that i cant work around his reach and that i lose confidence even before we start sparring ect.. Im trying to get good at setting up a good shot, so i can just take control on the ground but im not the greatest at it.. anyone else have any advice with my problem besides fidning a boxing trainer for right now .. thx guys.. i just want to be confidence if i had to protect myself against someone in his nature that is taller and alot mroe mentally "Crazy" you know..

Get inside, beat his ass.

Read the King's Close the Gap and Clinching articles for details.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f11/instructional-threads-425033/

Go to a competent trainer and learn some stand up. Learn about angles. Learn how to throw a proper punch.

If you don't want to go to a trainer now, let him him punch you in the face til you get tired of it...then go to a trainer.

I only do bjj, for about 7 months, no stnadup yet.

that right there pretty much explains it. Not only is he a bigger guy, but you said he also has began training kickboxing. I don't really think it is suprising that he can soundly beat you standing up.

any good threads on how to setup a good single or double leg mma style..?

Everyone on earth has a longer reach than me, so I reccomend lots of training, working a ton of angles, and getting inside the pocket and wreaking havoc.

Body shots! Frustrates a taller fighter, step to an angle get low and throw body shots. Your probably going to eat a couple on the way in, but if your fighting lower at angles and moving into a taller opponent his shots will be less powerful and more akward for him to throw. Just make sure to use enough of an angle that you don't step into a clinch/knee, and step into your opponent enough that you dont end up in the power range of a big kick. I suggest doing this off the jab side first, but when you get better at the technique is most effective when slipping a cross. In my opinion.

Obviously, a trainer is the best solution and probably a wise choice. I am just a taller fighter (6ft 3in) and I know this technique gives me trouble sometimes. On the other hand, if done sloppy or failing to commit to finishing the movement, it usually ends up in my favor. Just a thought, good luck!

Back