grown ass men that avoid heavy lifting (not talking about weights)

Speaking as someone that can lift really heavy things, I generally try and avoid doing it in my day to day life (unless it's in the gym).

Why on earth would I want to lift things unnecessarily?

Same and this.

Lifting heavy things unnecessarily leads to spine issues.

You ever try pulling 600+lbs pounds without a belt?

I proudly rock my Inzer on pretty much every pulling exercise. I'm getting old now man, I'm worried about my lower back giving out.

Which, going back to the thread topic for a moment, it is way easier to get injured lifting awkwardly shaped things up/down a flight of stairs than it is to get hurt in the gym.

My old man works in tool and die and wears a belt/harness for lifting the metals (large). A few of his coworkers thought it was ridiculous, now they do it also given the volume and load at work

Lift yourself dude. "you are skinny, lift real weights!!!!" Just do this meat heads....

10647222_10205927324606493_2390039301276506427_n.jpg

he's not even lifting himself, he's doing a static hold

lifting himself in that situation would be a one armed hand stand push up and would be badass as fuck. he's not doing that

My old man works in tool and die and wears a belt/harness for lifting the metals (large). A few of his coworkers thought it was ridiculous, now they do it also given the volume and load at work

Does your dad have that old man strength that makes you second guess whether you could take him in a fight? Metal workers are some of the strongest guys I know. Grip strength for days.

In fact, my training partner is an arc welder/fabricator. He is in his mid 40s, but that guy lifts heavier and harder than pretty much everyone (He weighs 210, and pulls 585x8... I can't come close to doing that, and I'm like 60lbs heavier). His hands also look like an old catchers mit.

At the gym it's easy to control the weight since it's designed to be distributed and used a specific way. So as long as u use good form and don't go heavier than your capabilities there's no real risk involved. Carrying a heavy desk or box or whatever that's not designed with handles like gym weight is where you can easily tweak something. At least that's how I rationalize it.

But what is there to lift in real life that is even half the weight you'd lift in a gym? The heaviest thing I can think of is a fridge or dryer and there's no risk of injury with two people lifting those.

If the idea is to avoid unnecessary weight lifting, I understand that. But then the gym seems less "necessary" than moving a couch.

But what is there to lift in real life that is even half the weight you'd lift in a gym? The heaviest thing I can think of is a fridge or dryer and there's no risk of injury with two people lifting those.

If the idea is to avoid unnecessary weight lifting, I understand that. But then the gym seems less "necessary" than moving a couch.

But that's my point it's not the weight of the item itself it's the way you have to lift and move it. For example I have an over the range microwave that broke down. I'm not sure how much it weight but I was fine picking it up. However getting it above my shoulders by myself and sliding it up and into the space at a perfect angle was damn difficult and I could feel myself compensating in ways I shouldn't have been which could easily cause injrt turtle u. In retrospect I should have paid for installation and next time I will.

Good thing you have all those muscles if you can't even lift a damn microwave

Does your dad have that old man strength that makes you second guess whether you could take him in a fight? Metal workers are some of the strongest guys I know. Grip strength for days.

In fact, my training partner is an arc welder/fabricator. He is in his mid 40s, but that guy lifts heavier and harder than pretty much everyone (He weighs 210, and pulls 585x8... I can't come close to doing that, and I'm like 60lbs heavier). His hands also look like an old catchers mit.

Metal workers are all rough types. But right now due to working in the field for awhile he's got some problems, inhaling grinded metal in the atmosphere has given him somewhat of a second hand smoke issue; also his fingers are shot to shit now and needs some creme/meds to ease the pain in his fingers.

Despite that I'd say old man strength is definitely there. More so on aggression though.

But that's my point it's not the weight of the item itself it's the way you have to lift and move it. For example I have an over the range microwave that broke down. I'm not sure how much it weight but I was fine picking it up. However getting it above my shoulders by myself and sliding it up and into the space at a perfect angle was damn difficult and I could feel myself

compensating in ways I shouldn't have been which could easily cause injrt turtle u. In retrospect I should have paid for installation and next time I will.

This is kind of what I was talking about when I mentioned 20 lbs being "heavy". Really its not heavy. But at my job we stock batteries onto racks that are chest & head level. & we get big orders of them (like 15 or so pallets a shipment). So constantly picking up 20 or 30 lb batteries & putting them on these racks can be draining, & some guys tend to avoid it at all costs or try to do as little as possible. For me it's not tough at all, but it's pretty comical the way some of these other guys will come up with ways to as little as possible. God forbid if they have to actually sweat a little.

I assumed this was a joke thread, but it appears there are seriously guys that don't lift heavy things outside of the gym. You'll pay a monthly membership to someone else to lift heavy things, but you won't lift your own heavy stuff for free?

More proof that powerlifting is not applicable to real life

But that's my point it's not the weight of the item itself it's the way you have to lift and move it. For example I have an over the range microwave that broke down. I'm not sure how much it weight but I was fine picking it up. However getting it above my shoulders by myself and sliding it up and into the space at a perfect angle was damn difficult and I could feel myself compensating in ways I shouldn't have been which could easily cause injrt turtle u. In retrospect I should have paid for installation and next time I will.

I see what you mean. I would never lift something like that by myself.

But I assumed TS was referring to people who aren't even willing to help lift heavy things. Like, with multiple people. I can't think of anything I've ever had to lift that couldn't be done safely with two healthy adult males.

At the gym it's easy to control the weight since it's designed to be distributed and used a specific way. So as long as u use good form and don't go heavier than your capabilities there's no real risk involved. Carrying a heavy desk or box or whatever that's not designed with handles like gym weight is where you can easily tweak something. At least that's how I rationalize it.

This is why its better to lift things in an unnatural motion which is why you see Crossfitters lifting on a stability ball.

Powerlifters may be stronger than Crossfitters in powerlifting,
but Crossfitters are stronger in daily everyday tasks where something is not easily designed for us

I see what you mean. I would never lift something like that by myself.

But I assumed TS was referring to people who aren't even willing to help lift heavy things. Like, with multiple people. I can't think of anything I've ever had to lift that couldn't be done safely with two healthy adult males.

yeah if i have help lifting an item and its from point a to b in a straight line i have no problems doing that. but when it comes to stuff like helping someone move and you have to go down stairs or put things at weird angles to get through doors i dont like. just pay someone to do it.

Back