Groupon member and pushy instructor in mma class

Alex9987

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Anyone here taken dance , yoga, martial art class with Groupon or social shopper before
They got good deals for a month like one place I’m doing A groupon for 55 6 week of martial art classss unlimited. But I find if you go to every class and they have it mon wed fri and you got to all 3 classes and they have see you don’t sign up or intention of signing up as Groupon date gets closer to expiring I notice they kind of ignore you as oppose when you first enrolled with the Groupon they are all Happy and friendly and talkative with you .

Anyone signed up with Groupon/social shopper and did classes and went almost all the time to everyday but have no intention of signing up? I think instructor notices it and dislikes it and offers you less pointers when you doing technique. They ignore you and less friendly with you

Anyone notice service lacks for Groupon and social shopper users
The instructor indirect came to me few times and said yea I see you come to every class and you like it hey and he’s indirectly getting me to sign up but I’m only at it for 2 weeks out of the 6 week Groupon special
So pushy

It would be weird if he WASN'T trying to get you to sign up.

Gyms run groupon deals as a method to get people in the door. Therefore, you should expect them to try and convert you to a paying member. Most gyms are not multinational corporations. It is different than Domino's selling a pizza for 10 cents. The worker selling that pizza doesn't own the store and doesn't care if you buy a regular priced pizza. The coach might be the owner and it is his best interest to grow the school.

Since you are trying the classes with a groupon you can stop going if you don't like it or think he is being too pushy. If you went to six classes in two weeks for $55 you already got your money's worth.

Anyone here taken dance , yoga, martial art class with Groupon or social shopper before
They got good deals for a month like one place I’m doing A groupon for 55 6 week of martial art classss unlimited. But I find if you go to every class and they have it mon wed fri and you got to all 3 classes and they have see you don’t sign up or intention of signing up as Groupon date gets closer to expiring I notice they kind of ignore you as oppose when you first enrolled with the Groupon they are all Happy and friendly and talkative with you .

Anyone signed up with Groupon/social shopper and did classes and went almost all the time to everyday but have no intention of signing up? I think instructor notices it and dislikes it and offers you less pointers when you doing technique. They ignore you and less friendly with you

The instructor indirect came to me few times and said yea I see you come to every class and you like it hey and he’s indirectly getting me to sign up but I’m only at it for 2 weeks out of the 6 week Groupon special
So pushy
You know Groupon is a marketing technique to get new people through the door, right? They are supposed to get you in and try to sell you whatever product they are offering. It would be strange if they didn’t try and push you to sign up at the school.

If you don’t like it write a bad review. Gyms have ignored members for less than that. It’s the culture of a lot of martial arts dude.

So annoying when people think they deserve 5 star attention and detail from a coach when they have been there for less than 3 months.

I don't understand what you're complaining about at all.

This seems perfectly normal.

If it looks clear to them that you're going to take advantage of the groupon special and never come back why would they invest as much energy on you as they would on a student who is investing more time and more money with them?

If that actually offends you, grow up.

Dude. You suck. At jiu-jitsu, English, and not being a good for nothing cheapskate.

I hope you get reaped and your knee blows or you get caught in a rare submission.

Or next time you hit the town as a night life tranny a Viking ghost osotogaris your face on the curb.

I don't understand what you're complaining about at all.

This seems perfectly normal.

If it looks clear to them that you're going to take advantage of the groupon special and never come back why would they invest as much energy on you as they would on a student who is investing more time and more money with them?

If that actually offends you, grow up.

Well yea it’s too expensive for me to sign up for regular price anyways 140 month or up is too much
I learn what I can learn and finish it and go next mma school offering Groupon
There so many too
Lot ppl take advantage of the Groupon
I asked a student and he told me before me there was 3 guys that came in 2xs a week for month and never came back
I can learn karate or other martial arts at community centre for lot lot lot cheaper

Well yea it’s too expensive for me to sign up for regular price anyways 140 month or up is too much
I learn what I can learn and finish it and go next mma school offering Groupon
There so many too
Lot ppl take advantage of the Groupon
I asked a student and he told me before me there was 3 guys that came in 2xs a week for month and never came back
I can learn karate or other martial arts at community centre for lot lot lot cheaper

Then you should go learn Karate or something at a community center since it's much cheaper.

Stop being a putz and find a non profit Judo club where you can train hard for cheap.

BJJ clubs shouldn't do groupons, it's not like going to the gym for S&C, going for a run, doing yoga, zumba, salsa... Those are generic training activities, martial arts are a journey where you should want to always get better.

Especially BJJ, the whole point is to master a system, so when you put a timeframe, like the end of the groupon, you pretty much ruin the experience.

So when a coach sees someone a couple times a week and they feel that they will not renew, I truly understand why they don't see the point to teach them techniques, to correct them when they are rolling or to spend any effort on them.

So, for me, people doing a groupon strategy are wrong, and clubs offering them are also wrong.

So pushy

Stop being a bitch. It's a business and they're trying to convert from interested to member. It's expected that the Instructor will give you less attention if you're really not interested in signing up.

You're the person that goes to the "All You Can Eat Buffet" and bitches that they can stuff their pockets with food before they leave.

Big chief dawg thinks hes training martial arts at the community center lmao. You aint learning shit bro. Get what you pay for.

Now imagine this- you are paying $140 per month per classes. And you see you instructor spending all his time on people who are just going for the cheap trial- you know they are not signing up, so they are just wasting your class time. How would you feel then?

Groupon is an odd situation. For businesses, it could be a way to attract new customers. Students are better off going for a free class, than showing up for the first time with a Group On. On the other side, instructors should fully honor their commitments once they accept money.

Most instructors are decent & reasonable. If you say you want the free/paid for classes, but won't/can't sign up for more - they will understand and will treat you fairly. They'll hope you leave with a good impression (and come back when you have more money, or tell other people). But if you keep coming (knowing they want to make more money off you) and don't talk about whether you want to keep coming at full price - well, that seems weird. For the person in the situation, it is natural to want to avoid the discussion. But for the instructor and other students, not communicating seems like a jerk move. Look at the situation from their perspective.

The first lesson or two, all new students get lots of attention because they need extra attention. New students are ignorant and potentially dangerous. Do you know how to tap? Are you going to bite your partner? Attack the groin at first opportunity? Crank the first submission you are shown? Is it safe to not watch you every second? Take it as a compliment and a measure of trust, when the initial attention-level drops.

Some people go to fitness classes specifically for the attention and validation from the instructor. Those classes tend to be expensive and easy, and filled with aging, wealthy, lonely people (or their kids). Fitness kick boxing, yoga, spin, cross fit. Kid's after school karate.

Compare yourself to other people - how much attention do you actually need? If you were just shown a technique 3 times, and can't do it right - that is natural. It is also natural to want individual attention right away. But that isn't how these classes work. Keep trying to figure it out. Everyone is trying to figure out what they were just shown.

I was going to this wrestling /jiu justu class I had with Groupon and after class with rolled after we learned bit technique
I was rolling with instructor and on 3 round he flipped me and my right arm landed and twisted
I was in lot pain and yelling . It’s very sore in elbow area and taking Advil , Ice and numbing cream
My question is should I text and tell owner that as a brown belt he should forescreen it coming . I rolled with other instructor and other guys before and never got injured this bad
What can I do
I know I can’t sue since I sign waiver but what should I tell owner of gym
The instructor who injure me wasn’t that helpful either. Told me had return ice cans can’t bring it with me even though other students said go ahead we got tons. Didn’t show any empathy

Back